52 Bugeye WRX wagon, Front Lower Suspension Arm - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

52 Bugeye WRX wagon, Front Lower Suspension Arm

Old 12 November 2017, 04:53 PM   #1
filmMaker
Scooby Newbie

Default 52 Bugeye WRX wagon, Front Lower Suspension Arm

Wow. The offside one is 3/4 rusted through (car was behaving very strangely) and I consider myself very lucky it didn't let go as there's very little of it left... I'll post a picture when I get it off. Do check yours!

So I'm in the market for a pair of these arms (L and R, of course). Can you nice people please tell me if the STI ones (alloy type) are the same geometry? If so, it would seem to be prudent to fit these instead of the original steel ones. Any thoughts welcome.

A used pair would be ok, I would think, ideally with bushes and although I'm not made of money perhaps a new reasonably priced pair would be worthwhile. Can anyone help with this please?

Many thanks
//tony
filmMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Call a subaru main dealer give then your car details and ask then to check if your car is due the lower arm recall....chances are it is and wont cost you a penny
Smithys STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 06:48 PM   #3
filmMaker
Scooby Newbie

The car had this recall back in 2012, and had the waxoyl/wax treatment. Thanks for your advice, I've been in touch with a dealer and Subaru 'haven't said no'. I'm sending pictures tomorrow and should hear in a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3732.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	71251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3738.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	71252  
Old 14 November 2017, 08:37 PM   #4
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmMaker View Post
The car had this recall back in 2012, and had the waxoyl/wax treatment. Thanks for your advice, I've been in touch with a dealer and Subaru 'haven't said no'. I'm sending pictures tomorrow and should hear in a day or two.
Wow...those are pretty bad!!
Through past experiences ​​​​​I would have thought they will cover the cost of the repair....fingers crossed!
​​​​
Smithys STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 December 2017, 01:10 PM   #5
filmMaker
Scooby Newbie

Well, Subaru did cover the cost of the parts and labour (600) but there was a wait of nearly two weeks for one of the arms, kinda frustrating. But I got it back today, can't believe how much I enjoyed the drive home... :-) I know it's old, but it still goes like stuff off a shovel.
The front part of the driver's side arm was completely detached, and the recall (back in 2012) showed little sign that waxoyl had been applied properly. That dealer in Peterborough is now defunct.
So DO make sure you have these arms checked if you have an older car!

PS - very good service from mtcars.co.uk near Whittlesey, Peterborough area, kept me informed, etc.

Last edited by filmMaker; 06 December 2017 at 01:14 PM.