Notices

Bugeye coilovers to fit blobeye sti?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2017, 12:41 PM
Bonzo555!
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye coilovers to fit blobeye sti?

Hi folks

This question has been asked in many guises around shocks but not specifically for coilovers as far as I tell.

I have just purchased an 03 Blobeye sti and am thinking of fitting a set of Apex coilovers that were on a Bugeye. It sounds like top mounts are different for spring/shock combinations between the models due to the spring shapes but would a coilover set with mounts included be ok ?

Is the top of the top mount universal between models? ( and its only the bottom of the mount that is different to accommodate a different spring diameter? ) I am assuming this would be yes as when you look to buy a new set of coilovers it covers 01-07 models. But would be nice to have an expert from here tell me this too

Many thanks
Rich
back to scoobynet this week after 8 years of ****e cars!
Old 17 October 2017, 12:59 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They'll be the same mate from bug to blob unless it's a widetrack blob
Old 17 October 2017, 03:59 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

If the top mounts are included with the coilovers then yes they will fit, the stud pattern is the same between bug and blob.
The confusion is usually when coilovers require o.e top mounts fitted, wrx and Sti top mounts are different due to the shock absorber piston diameter. So wrx top mounts won't fit Sti dampers. Hence won't fit coilovers that have an equal diameter piston to Sti dampers.
Fyi, classic and new age top mount stud spacing is the same on the fronts, but the rears are different. Also the classic rear struts are shorter.
Old 17 October 2017, 04:28 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As above. The New Age shells are identical from Bug through to Hawkeye in terms of bolting stuff to them. The Top mounts differ as per the damper rod diameter as above and the Widetrack cars use a different lower mount fitting.

On BC Coilovers, Apex branded or BC-Racing branded. (Apex are the BC distributers and older units were initially Apex branded I think?), the bottom mount just unscrews off the end so you can buy the mounts and swap them over. However if they are the really old model they might not be compatible.
Old 17 October 2017, 09:59 PM
Bonzo555!
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the feedback folks, much appreciated. Its actually these

Old 18 October 2017, 08:49 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

They look like they have Blob rear mounts on them anyway.
Old 19 October 2017, 02:27 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely BC-Racing BR Coils with APEX branding. The Rear mounts are standard O.E. style Subaru and the extenders are an option to enable adjustment in the car. somewhere on the springs they (was ) a code 62. XXX. 005 or 6 or whatever. This denotes the kg per mm rate of the spring and that they are 62mm ones.

I just gave back to APEX two pairs of decent condition rear springs 4kg and 5 kg rates. Perhaps Bren will let you have them cheap if you want.

I also let him have a set of pillowball adjustable top mounts in gold that would have suited them as well. If only I'd looked at this earlier... sorry.

I've just upgraded my coils to a new set so had a clear out.
Old 19 October 2017, 04:00 PM
Bonzo555!
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Definitely BC-Racing BR Coils with APEX branding. The Rear mounts are standard O.E. style Subaru and the extenders are an option to enable adjustment in the car. somewhere on the springs they (was ) a code 62. XXX. 005 or 6 or whatever. This denotes the kg per mm rate of the spring and that they are 62mm ones.

I just gave back to APEX two pairs of decent condition rear springs 4kg and 5 kg rates. Perhaps Bren will let you have them cheap if you want.

I also let him have a set of pillowball adjustable top mounts in gold that would have suited them as well. If only I'd looked at this earlier... sorry.

I've just upgraded my coils to a new set so had a clear out.
Excellent, cheers for the additional information, vry helpful. No worries about the coils and mounts. Ill strip them down, clean and tidy up the coils and see how I get on with them for a while.