Notices

Blobeye saloon to wagon suspension

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2017, 05:19 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Blobeye saloon to wagon suspension

So i have a Wagon Blobeye and i have been looking to upgrade to STI suspension.

From what i've read, if i do swap suspension off a saloon, it will slightly change the camber?

Any help will be great thanks
Old 22 September 2017, 06:17 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You'll need a full geo check afterwards anyway. Also, I wouldn't say that STi is necessarily an upgrade for WRX.
Old 22 September 2017, 10:50 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Any idea's of cost?
Old 22 September 2017, 11:09 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

can you get hold of a decent set of STI struts which must be 13-14 years old now?
I used a set on my wagon a few years ago, the wagon camber is limited so used aftermarket camber bolts to give a bit more. The sti dampers are much more substantial than wrx but as I upped the power it found them out and I now have coilovers.
As said you would need to have the geo checked and cost would vary depending upon how difficult adjustments were on an old car.
Trev
Old 23 September 2017, 12:39 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I think there aftermarket struts and strings, i sold my coilovers as i thought they would be too hard. And its the misses car, even though she likes her speed, i fitted coilovers to her old golf and we didn't like it.

Did you get the geo done on yours when you swapped suspension?

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
can you get hold of a decent set of STI struts which must be 13-14 years old now?
I used a set on my wagon a few years ago, the wagon camber is limited so used aftermarket camber bolts to give a bit more. The sti dampers are much more substantial than wrx but as I upped the power it found them out and I now have coilovers.
As said you would need to have the geo checked and cost would vary depending upon how difficult adjustments were on an old car.
Trev
Old 23 September 2017, 09:59 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

yes, I fitted the suspension and put aftermarket camberbolts front lower clevis. Pic, sorry about quality was obviously before/after. I was well pleased with the result as the car felt much better to drive. Price was £87.99 which was a discounted rate for Beds &Buck Scoobies at the time in 2011.
Trev

should have mentioned my sti struts had prodrive lowering springs

Last edited by trevsjwood; 23 September 2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added info
Old 23 September 2017, 10:02 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You have to get the geo done/checked with every suspension change, as the front camber is adjusted by the strut/hub bolts.

What are you trying to achieve with the Blob Wagon - what aspect of it's suspension are you currently not happy with?
Old 23 September 2017, 11:54 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

You'll need to slot the lower mounting holes, on the front and rear saloon struts.
Remove 2mm of metal from one side of the hole. You'll still need to use a pry bar during the alignment.

If you used Whiteline kca335 off-set front top mounts, with front saloon struts, you'd probably only need to remove 1mm from the front, lower, holes.

Koni inserts, into your existing housings, will work with wrx or sti rate springs.
Kyb do still list a non-inverted wagon strut, suitable for use with STI spring rates:

The problem is oem sti springs are too short, in free length, to properly fit the above struts - the spring may dislodge at full droop.

So, in approx 8 weeks, I should have a batch of Eibach-made, saloon and wagon compatible, sti-rate WA/A2 springs. They'll come with matching bump stops for either inverted or non-inverted struts.

But, as @TECHNOPUG wrote ,earlier, sti rate suspension is not always the way to go.

Last edited by 2pot; 23 September 2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 23 September 2017, 02:09 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

the bug/ blob sti struts are a straight swop for the newage wagon with no modification.
Trev
Old 23 September 2017, 02:54 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

They'll fit. But, why do you think your negative camber is so minimal?

The maths in this this isn't accurate, but you get the idea.

Last edited by 2pot; 23 September 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 23 September 2017, 03:23 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

ah, sorry, modification to improve camber.
Trev
Old 24 September 2017, 06:12 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Well i've not driven a Newage Saloon, but my mates classic estate his isn't as planned as my Classic Saloon and we are both running standard suspension, i'm guessing his is setup differently.

Just come across some well priced STI saloon shocks and springs, so plan was to just change the lot on newage estate, and thought it would make the car abit more planted, and handle better.

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
You have to get the geo done/checked with every suspension change, as the front camber is adjusted by the strut/hub bolts.

What are you trying to achieve with the Blob Wagon - what aspect of it's suspension are you currently not happy with?