Notices

WRX Wagon replacment for original suspension

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2017, 03:01 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Wagon replacment for original suspension

Mt WRX wagon Blobeye is approaching 200K and the suspension is now tired and noisy so I want a cheap and easy solution to replace it with that is a close match for the original Subaru one.

I use the car as a daily drive including driving in town and motorways and go to events that park you on farmers fields so I don't want to lower the car etc to the Pedders kit is unsuitable I have a mechanic that will swap the old for new I just need to buy the parts for him.

I was wondering about MeisterR ZetaCRD?

Has anyone fitted this and is it a one box solution? does it have the same weight carrying capacity as the original shocks etc as when we go on holiday the car is fully loaded!

I would just fit the Subaru parts but the cost is to much with the age of the car.

any other suggestions what I cant afford is to have the car off the road for days whilst the work is being done because I forget a vital part that has to be mail ordered hence wanting a one box solution

any advice
Old 23 August 2017, 04:37 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

4 x KYB Excel Gs are going to be a lot cheaper than Meister coilovers. You'll probably need new droplinks and possiblt ARB bushes too.
Old 23 August 2017, 08:26 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a whole set of kyb excel g's off eBay for just over £300. Don't forget top mounts as well as they will probably be rotten after all that time, plus dust covers and bump stops for the excel g's, as whatever is on your current probably won't fit.

Ive had the excel g's on my bug wagon rear for near a month now and their fine for daily use. Honestly I think coil overs are massive overkil for daily use if you never go on track.

Theres a whole threat detailing part numbers for bug and blob for the excels already, though I can't find it now.

Last edited by Fishbowlhead; 23 August 2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 24 August 2017, 10:10 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MeisterRs are great, I have them on my wagon and you can set the ride height to take farmers' fields into account, but are probably overkill (and much more expensive) than just replacing the shocks on the standard setup. My OEM shocks were knackered but I do use the car on track sometimes, so wanted the extra control and adjustability of coilovers so that I could quickly change the setup. If it was my daily driver and I never went on track, I'd just have replaced the shocks and swapped the springs to PCA Dynamics. Plenty of threads on here discussing suspension options, have a rummage!
Old 30 August 2017, 03:01 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments the problem with going down the kyb excel g's off eBay is I would also need to order other parts like springs, drop links making sure they all fit together? dust covers? etc etc and I don't KNOW what is needed so risk the car being off the road for days rather than it completed in one day due to me not ordering all the parts needed

also with all the other parts is the difference between Meisters (I assume this kit covers everything?) and buying all the bits from ebay likely to be a lot more than £100 as its worth that to make sure its sorted in one day.
Old 30 August 2017, 03:57 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian F
Thanks for the comments the problem with going down the kyb excel g's off eBay is I would also need to order other parts like springs, drop links making sure they all fit together? dust covers? etc etc and I don't KNOW what is needed so risk the car being off the road for days rather than it completed in one day due to me not ordering all the parts needed

also with all the other parts is the difference between Meisters (I assume this kit covers everything?) and buying all the bits from ebay likely to be a lot more than £100 as its worth that to make sure its sorted in one day.
If your main concern is being sure that you've got all the bits, then yes the MeisterRs are a one-box solution. When I was looking at the options, I was pricing up PCA Dynamics springs as well as KYB shocks, bump stops etc and the total was about £150 different (MeisterRs more expensive). I went with the coilovers to get more control over ride height and damping - if you want to keep stock settings then just change the shocks.

You probably don't need new springs, and any springs other than OEM replacements are likely to include a ride height drop anyway, which you've said you don't want.

Drop links may or may not need replacing but are separate to the suspension stuff so you may still need them even if you get coilovers!

For just the suspension bits, £300 for replacement shocks plus £50 or so for other bits like bump stops is still a lot less than £700+ for the MeisterRs. The KYBs are a straight swap for the OEM dampers, so unless you want to spend £2K on official Subaru replacements, they're probably your best option.