Old 01 June 2017, 09:31 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Prodrive Springs - RB320/Hawkeye

I have a chance of picking up some black Prodrive springs:

Front LE07/D5/001
Rear LE07/D5/002

They are black in colour, and from some searching I believe they may be RB320 springs.

I have a standard widetrack 2007 STi.

There's not much information online, and some of it is contradictory and I cannot find out for sure if they will fit my car, or whether the rears won't as the RB320 has Bilsteins and had different spring seats.

I've no real interest in lowering the car for the sake of it, but find the standard suspension a bit crashy, hard and bouncy around town and our usual sub standard B-roads. I'm looking to soften things up a bit for more of a flow if that makes sense.

Can anyone help? I may have just wasted £50
Old 01 June 2017, 12:45 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

The rb320 rear springs have a slightly smaller rear diameter to fit the smaller Bilstein lower spring seat.

But, @plenty is using them on his KYB struts without issuse - send him a pm.

Did your rb320 springs come with the shorter front bump stops? Your oem front stops are 60mm long and rock hard.
Old 01 June 2017, 02:51 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Thanks 2pot, I've not bought the springs yet and I don't suspect there will be front bump stops supplied.

I remember my Foz STi flowing with the road, my WRX was similar (although too soft) but I'm finding my STi a bit crashy so was looking into options to soften it up, while not becoming too wobbly.

I think coilovers may be a bit harsh, as it's town and B-road I do (never going near a track) and don't mind spending a bit on springs and shocks, just no real idea what to do.

Most kits/people are interested in making it harder and lower, not necessarily better to drive. I've the standard 17" wheels on too.
Old 01 June 2017, 02:55 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have RB320 springs fitted to standard widetrack KYB struts and they a big improvement over the stock JDM springs for British roads (not 100% sure but I believe the non RB320 widetrack UK and JDM springs are the same).

When I was looking into it conventional wisdom had suggested the RB320 rear springs only fit the Bilstein perch, but they looked okay to me and after confirming with Peter Cambridge (ex Prodrive suspension engineer) that the difference in spring perch diameter KYB vs Bilstein is just 7mm, I fitted them and 10k miles later have experienced no issues.

Changing the bump stops is essential (which means dismantlling the inverted struts - you can take the opportunity to grease the struts while you're in there, and if you wish do the grease nipple mod to prevent the well-documented problem with KYB struts knocking due to lack of grease). You can buy the bump stops from Peter at peter@pcadynamics.com.

I also have a full set of used RB320 Bilsteins that I was hoping to refurb and fit for the full RB320 experience, but that plan is on ice for now due to a poor recent experience with Bilstein UK.
Old 01 June 2017, 03:56 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated !
Old 01 June 2017, 11:35 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts