FSTI suspension for welsh roads

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2017, 05:33 PM
Yeti-AWD
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FSTI suspension for welsh roads

Hi There,

I've been running my 04 Forester for around 2 years now and now beginning to hear that unpleasent knocking sound from a rear corner which the mechanic confirmed was the damper.

With the Welsh "roads" around me going from decently laid B-roads to something resembling a farm track and back, i'm looking to keep somewhere near the stock ride that handles the local tarmac well without sending passengers to the chiropractor after a journey.

I'm also with the standard ride height as some of the unavoidable speedbumps locally look more like the lorry tipped off a delivery and they forgot to level it out.

Reading up again on different setups people have tried/currently running and thought it was more sensible ask first before researching a lot of stuff only to find someone else has gone down the exact same route previously.

I don't know whether it is viable to fully renew the standard setup in terms of sourcing or cost, if aftermarket shock/springs would sort it or if jumping up to coilovers is worth doing.

Currently the car has been fully poly-bushed and had rigid collars fitted, which made a huge difference, and adjustable whiteline ARBs.

Any input would be appreciated

Chris
Old 06 May 2017, 07:18 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm fussy and have high standards, but would look at Peddars (sp?). Not personally tried them, but they do come reliably recommended. They're cheap enough too if you don't like them you can off-load them and wont come out too bad

Mine are knocking, but doesn't seem to detract from the performance
Old 06 May 2017, 05:10 PM
Yeti-AWD
Scooby Newbie

I've been looking at Pedders as an option, but not sure how they compare handling-wise to stock?

I'm assuming their "Sportsryder" is a more performance oriented set-up, seeing as they have a photo of an STi and reviewed it saying there was a 30-40mm height drop which wouldn't be too bad.
Old 08 May 2017, 01:50 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeti-AWD
I've been looking at Pedders as an option, but not sure how they compare handling-wise to stock?

I'm assuming their "Sportsryder" is a more performance oriented set-up, seeing as they have a photo of an STi and reviewed it saying there was a 30-40mm height drop which wouldn't be too bad.
I would say 30-40mm drop too much for the FSTi

Remember, the FSTi has been dropped (by STi) a fair bit already, and there's really nothing left. Any more and you're going to get into all manner of bad handling issues
Old 08 May 2017, 01:56 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I know someone with an SG foz that has my old Pedders Ezifit suspension setup that I had fitted to my 04 FSTI. He'll be selling it soon as it's too soft for his liking (he wants hard coilovers) but will be perfect for your welsh roads. Great setup and this one has done 2-5k max.
Old 09 May 2017, 09:28 PM
Yeti-AWD
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
I know someone with an SG foz that has my old Pedders Ezifit suspension setup that I had fitted to my 04 FSTI. He'll be selling it soon as it's too soft for his liking (he wants hard coilovers) but will be perfect for your welsh roads. Great setup and this one has done 2-5k max.
I'm a little curious as to how soft a suspension setup we're talking if you've replaced it, and so has the next person.

Also it could just be lack of reference, but looking at the photos in your coilover thread, it looked to ride higher on the pedders than mine does currently on stock suspension?

It was actually your MeisterR thread that got me questioning coilovers again, i'd gone off the idea with the mixed views of BC's coming from several sources.
Old 10 May 2017, 09:00 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a little curious as to how soft a suspension setup we're talking if you've replaced it, and so has the next person.

Also it could just be lack of reference, but looking at the photos in your coilover thread, it looked to ride higher on the pedders than mine does currently on stock suspension?

It was actually your MeisterR thread that got me questioning coilovers again, i'd gone off the idea with the mixed views of BC's coming from several sources.
If you are from Middle Earth then forget coilovers.

I had STi red struts and springs on my FSTi and found it worked well around the valley roads, rain, shine or snow just south of you.
Old 10 May 2017, 10:12 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Anything other than stock is going to see the ride suffer. Maybe just renew any worn parts and bushes, dial in some more castor/camber at the front with a proper alignment and really good tyres.
Old 10 May 2017, 10:39 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I didn't swap out my Pedders kit because it was soft, I swapped it out purely because I wanted coilovers with height adjustment so I could get my car setup just how I wanted. The Pedders were very good and very compliant on my FSTI. Not harsh at all and certainly not wallowey, but yes I'm told they are slightly softer than standard FSTI shocks & springs. The ride height on the Pedders was ok, but just too high for my liking and the back was higher than I would have wanted.

I've got my MeisterR coilovers set to about 1/3 from soft and they are great on my daily FSTI. If you opted for these at least you could dial it down further if required.
Old 14 May 2017, 04:54 PM
Yeti-AWD
Scooby Newbie

Can you get hold of new OEM dampers easily? Or how much they cost?

I've had some parts through Keith Price before but they normally want the part codes.
Old 14 May 2017, 07:58 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I've BC Coilovers on mine and find them perfect, I live in west wales and they really suit the roads.

I go to work at 4.00AM and have the roads to myself, so they get a work out every morning!!!

Tyres make a massive difference also, my winter winter have a soft side wall, summer tyres have a very stiff side wall, so bare that in mind as most XL tyres will firm things up also

Last edited by DannyBoy007; 14 May 2017 at 08:00 PM.