Notices

KYB Excel-Gs on a Hawkeye WRX

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2017, 06:23 PM
Jo3zzz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB Excel-Gs on a Hawkeye WRX

Hi guys, I posted a thread a couple of months ago about my 06 WRX suffering from knocking rear struts. I've replaced the struts and wanted to share my setup in case any other members are experiencing this problem and don't want to go down the coilovers route.

Here are the parts I used:
KYB Excel-G struts (item numbers 334460, 334461, 334358, 334359)
KYB dust boots and bump stops (item numbers 910046, 910142)
Subaru Group-N front top hats

I had the lot installed at Pole Position UK, retaining my Pro-drive blue springs and everything went in and fit a charm (I had also ordered KYB rear top hats, but they did not seem to fit. I kept the originals on, but I suggest you order some OEM replacements). Everything feels much firmer now, these struts really work well with the blue springs - no more knocking, much better handing and an overall tighter feel. The suspension seems to roll with any bumps in the road now instead of "crashing out" and although firmer than stock, I'd say they felt less harsh. The group-n top mounts were worth the money too, they get rid of that bouncy feeling when driving the WRX and seem to reduce body roll around corners.

I'm more than happy with this setup, the car now handles much better and feels perfect for a daily driven vehicle. If your using stock springs, Pro-Drive blues or Eibachs I'd recommend these struts. For anything harsher I'd probably go with Ultra-SR struts instead.
Old 22 January 2017, 10:53 AM
Christian Plank Jensen
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

How are the KYB Excel-G vs Stock shocks?

I am considering either stock WRX shocks or KYB and then H&R lowering springs.

Thanks for sharing the part numbers.

/Christian
Old 23 January 2017, 05:59 PM
Jo3zzz
Scooby Newbie

They are much more comfortable (I am using lowered springs so stock springs might differ) they seem to actually dampen and absorb shock where as the stock ones seemed to "crash out". The best way to describe them is they are firmer than stock, but not harsh - the car feels more planted, I felt it was a huge improvement especially if your using mild springs.
Old 25 January 2017, 08:38 PM
Christian Plank Jensen
Scooby Newbie

Cool! I have just ordered them!

I am really loooking forward to receiving them and having them fitted!

Thanks for posting Your experience ;-)

/Christian
Old 26 February 2017, 04:40 PM
Jo3zzz
Scooby Newbie

How did you get on Christian, did they make any difference? I made a video showing the parts I used for further reference:

Old 02 March 2017, 07:49 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my Blob WRX I had KYB Ultra SR's and Prodrive spring and it was a superb combination. Lowered the car by about 25mm handled well and wasn't harsh.