Notices
Subaru Parts This forum contains Subaru parts offered for sale by our members only.

Cabin Adjustable Dawes MBC with Switchable High/Low Boost Fuction

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2018, 04:54 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cabin Adjustable Dawes MBC with Switchable High/Low Boost Fuction

I'd like to judge interest in a project I've been working on for over a year now.....

What is it?
A more evolved version of the concept first described here: https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...pring-mbc.html, now with bespoke design and 3d printed case and mechanisms. Essentially it is a cabin adjustable Dawes Mechanical Boost Controller with motor adjustability and switchable high/low boost facility.

Is this unique?
From what I can see, yes, the only other thing close is the Hallman MBC with cable adjust for inside the cabin, and it does not have a boost switching facility (and costs >£110+delivery on ebay)

Features:
- Boost adjust device that at its heart uses a Dawes Ball and Spring type Mechanical Boost Controller as the boost control mechanism.
- adjust boost up/down from the inside the cabin whilst driving (required for MBC due to atmospheric changes)
- switchable full time high, full time low, switchable boost by below options*
- switchable based on gear (5th, 6th or combination)*
- switchable based on accel pedal position (WOT) can switch to high boost from low*
- adjustable warning indicator for when the MBC has been wound too far (Red LED on both units)
- rubber mounting isolators for the engine bay unit
- illuminated boost adjust switch (dull green)

* options B) and C) only

Materials:
- Engine bay unit is 3d printed from PETG which can withstand temperatures up to ~85deg C before going soft which I expect is more than enough for most conditions
- Motor coupling is 3d printed from PETG also
- Cabin controller is 3d printer from PET, which has a lower temperature tolerance (softens slightly @ ~60dec C), but prints with a much better finish. It can be printed in PETG but finish might not be as clean.

Fitment:
- Designed around and for Hawkeye models, but MBC will work with any turbo car. If there is demand I could look to extend to previous models which I think have a different solenoid bracket
- Electrically they are powered by a 12V source from inside the cabin. I use the cigarette lighter and plug in between the connectors and harness connector using spade connectors.
- the Boost control unit is designed to fit the black bracket that mounts the stock solenoid, on the front face of the RHS suspension turret, ref image below. Fits with or without stock airbox.
- the cabin control unit is designed to screw/bolt to the lower steering wheel column cowl, ref image in the original project post

Options:
Currently I have designs for 3 options, with material enough to make one off either a or b, and I'm judging the interest before ordering more materials:

a) Single MBC with warning
b) Single MBC with warning and switchable between MBC and Wastegate only boost control
c) Twin MBC with warnings, switchable between them for adjustable high and low boost control (some design work still to be done)

I have also have systems for:

- WOT switching from the accel pedal (currently only for cars with throttle by wire)
- Gear based boost selection (mounts to 4 redundant studs underneath the gear surround finisher, presumed to be present on all Newage models)

Background
I designed this system because I really like the ease, response, repeatability of the MBC and so that I can have switchable high/low boost based on gear selection (low in 5th and 6th) to prevent the shuddering experienced on (some) high torque 2.5 engines, ref here: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...tain-rpms.html

I also use it when tuning the map of my car to hit a variety of different engine loads to test for knock etc.

Cost
a) Single adjustable MBC with warning, no switch = £65 + postage (by paypal)
b) Single adjustable MBC with warning, switchable high/ wastegate boost = £110 + postage (by paypal)
c) Twin adjustable MBC with warnings, switchable high/ low boost = £TBC + postage (it's still in the design phase!)

Switches (applicable only to options b) and c) above):
1) Gear switch for 5th and 6th = £10 added to purchase
2) Accel pedal switch = £7.50 added to purchase

These items are hand made to order and each one will be tested to ensure functionality when it leaves me. As mentioned I currently have enough materials to make only one off a) or b), and will order more as necassary.

Disclaimer
(always need one!) None of the parts that I have added to the MBC can cause damage to your engine, however setting the MBC too high could. Please be aware of what MBC is and how to use it. I can not take any responsibility for any damage you might cause when using this device.

Some images

Single MBC no switching, warning indicator not fitted:

Single MBC switching high / wastegate (this is what I currenlty run in my car):

Fitting in the engine bay:

Accel switch:

Last edited by Bazil_SW; 20 January 2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 15 January 2018, 07:25 PM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Also, it's occurred to me that since it contains a 3 port boost solenoid (as the switching mechanism), with the right harness connector and some minor tweaking it can also act as an all in one unit of EBC over MBC for better part throttle response, the system is described here for info: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=602674

PM me for a chat if interested!
Old 20 January 2018, 09:08 AM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Bump