Best Sti8 Rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2009, 08:32 PM
ShaggyDooWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Best Sti8 Rear spoiler?

Hi,

I would appreciate any advice on getting the best quality Replica Rear STi8 spoiler to fit onto my 53 plate WRX.....

Last edited by ShaggyDooWRX; 22 March 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12 February 2009, 12:33 PM
Spruxxx
Scooby Regular

I've been looking into this recently - got a 05 WRX myself.

Ideally I was after the Orciari wing - better looks imo, not quite so big, and a bit different - a pain to fit though - http://www.orciari.it/admin/img/big/...rc2003_1-2.jpg. If you find a good place for bootlids let me know!

The other thing with the STi wings is the added weight - the real ones come with improved torsion bars to cope. Perhaps someone else with experience of fitting can give more information...

I've looked at the Scoobyworld one myself, can't say I've seen the DR one before. Revolution also do one that's cheaper than both, but can't comment on quality - def PU though. It has a red brake light, not a clear one. The Scoobyworld spoiler appears to have a clear brake light, check the full picture of the blue car on the page.

Subaru Styling Parts and Components

Sorry I can't help more, I haven't made a final decision myself yet!
Old 12 February 2009, 01:33 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`ve just sold my sti spoiler to a chap who had it fitted to his wrx. He had another 8 holes drilled on top of the 4 origional ones. I wouldn`t fit an sti with just 4 bolts. I`m sure Subaru use 12 bolts on the sti spoiler for a good reason. I`d suggest you stick a wanted add on here and see what people may have lying around in their garages. You cant beat the real spoiler, no matter how good, a replica will always be a replica..
Old 12 February 2009, 03:27 PM
sparkey67
Scooby Regular

try scooby clinic bud thats where i got mine from for my bugeye cant remember price off hand but they paint & fit them if u want . ive been told there suppier uses mold from subaru dont no if ture or not & i think u need to drill more holes either way could be wrong .
Old 12 February 2009, 05:18 PM
fasterdad
Scooby Regular

Hi, done this recently using a used RB320 spoiler and repainted. I did not drill the extra holes in case I revert back. I used a good double sided tape and over a 1000 miles no problems. I felt that I would not get more for my car if I sell it so will put it back to standard if and when and sell the extras on.

Hope that helps.
Old 12 February 2009, 05:27 PM
ShaggyDooWRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies.

I Think if I go down the replica route, its either scoobyworld or revolution, as they are both 100% PolyUrethane replica's, not Fibreglass (the DRmotorsport ones are a mix of fibreglass and abs plastic).

Unless of course someone has a genuine one lying around they want to sell me....?!

Either way, I'm going to source another bootlid and use all the extra fixings I think. At least this way, I can revert back to the original spoiler and bootlid at any time. Not that I want to sell the car at any point!
Old 12 February 2009, 09:44 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there's almost always a newage sti spoiler on fleabay, they dont go for that much. plus if you find one the same color, your laughing!

wiley
Old 12 February 2009, 10:41 PM
ShaggyDooWRX
Scooby Regular

That's quite impressive if that spoiler is just held on by some double sided trim tape!!! Braver than me
Old 28 April 2009, 10:47 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

hey guys,

id really like to put the RB320 style spoiler (like fasterdad has) on mine... where would be the best place to get one from? I dont mind paying a little extra for quality!!!
Old 28 April 2009, 06:00 PM
ShaggyDooWRX
Scooby Regular

I advise you do what I did, and source yourself a Genuine Subaru item. Just put a wanted advert in the wanted section, and maybe one of the breakers out there will have one for you.

I had a reply within days of placing my wanted ad from a breaker, and got myself a genuine part. You will pay a bit more than for a replica, but trust me, it is more than worth the extra. The quality of the replica's varies greatly, and you will not match the quality of genuine!

It is well worth using genuine subaru parts in my opinion, and they are much easier to paint/repaint to match your colour, and will near gaurantee a good end result.
Just my opinion, but thats what I did in the end.
Old 28 April 2009, 06:04 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

thanks dude - i will stick a wanted up in a bit :-) many thanks!
Old 28 April 2009, 06:19 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

sorry to double post.....but........ in the event of know one having one for sale, i dont really wonna spend like £800 at subaru so i did some googling and found this:!

Impreza Blob Eye (2003-2005) : Subaru Impreza STI8 STI 8 Rear Spoiler Wing 2001-2007

any idea if its any good? ill hang on if anyone sees my wanted but if nothing shows up you recon that is decent quality?
Old 28 April 2009, 06:31 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I've ogt the scooby world one on mine, see my thread on evolution of a bug eye to see the fitting and it fitted.
Old 28 April 2009, 07:50 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
I've ogt the scooby world one on mine, see my thread on evolution of a bug eye to see the fitting and it fitted.
Just found the thread - car looks spot on fella! love that wing! i think ill treat myself to one :-)

im guessing its a good fitting then?
Old 28 April 2009, 09:52 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Very good fit but a couple of tips.

Tape over the whole area the spoiler will cover with masking tape, then trial fit only using the existing holes, make sure the spoiler sits centrally on the boot (mine is slightly .25cm too far right). Enlarge the existing holes until the spoiler lines up to your satisfaction, now mark the edges of the spoiler on the masking tape.

Cut a sheet of thin card to fit the base of the spoiler, make small pilot holes in the card at each mounting point. Use this template to drill the boot based on the location of the spoiler from the outline on the masking tape. Remove the rubber boot stops from the boot lid as one of the holes comes straight though here! You will need to use a large drill on the underside of the boot to enlarge the front outer holes in the inner skin to allow you to fit these bolts (I didn't bother with the bolts but did drill the holes, you may want to leave these holes out totally).

Trial fit once more, try a few of the extra holes, remove masking tape then paint around the holes (touch up primer should do it). Let the primer dry, fit the sealing self adhesive 'washers' to the boot lid, tape the brake light cable to the base of the spoiler otherwise it will really **** you off. Now fit the spoiler using the bolts and the washers (I screwed bolts into each hole while it was off the car to clean the threads).
Old 28 April 2009, 10:04 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

ahhh thanks for the tips - im half tempted to just go to scooby clinic (i like 5mile from them lol) and just let them do it!!!

do u have any problems opening / closing the bootlid or keeping it open?
Old 29 April 2009, 12:20 AM
ShaggyDooWRX
Scooby Regular

yeah id say if you absolutely cant source a genuine subaru item, the scoobyworld one is probably the best as it is Polyurethane as opposed to fibreglass. But if it was me, id never be happy with it unless it was genuine.... but thats up to you of course. Despite all the worries about torsion bars etc, I've had no problems with a genuine Sti spoiler fitted onto the WRX

Good luck.
Old 29 April 2009, 12:29 AM
scouserlad2007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fasterdad
Hi, done this recently using a used RB320 spoiler and repainted. I did not drill the extra holes in case I revert back. I used a good double sided tape and over a 1000 miles no problems. I felt that I would not get more for my car if I sell it so will put it back to standard if and when and sell the extras on.

Hope that helps.
What double sided tape did you use if you dont mind me asking??

Jonnie
Old 29 April 2009, 07:10 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

My boot does drop fairly quickly but it stays up no problems - I will be changing the torsion bars, although the spoiler comes with small 'U' bolts that are supposed to be used to tighten the existing one I have no idea where to put them!.
Old 03 May 2009, 04:23 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
My boot does drop fairly quickly but it stays up no problems - I will be changing the torsion bars, although the spoiler comes with small 'U' bolts that are supposed to be used to tighten the existing one I have no idea where to put them!.
Neither did i mate no one seemed to know, I have the scoobyworld one, it took me and dad about 2 hours from scratch making a cardboard template etc, then used bold through existing holes to line new one's meant spoiler went in perfect place
Old 15 May 2009, 02:26 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Whilst we're on the topic of spoilers, does anyone know of a stocklist who has an A-line spoiler ? For an 04 blobeye model ?
Old 16 May 2009, 08:34 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Japanparts do them