A Portuguese prespective...

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2004, 10:23 PM
RNunes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Portuguese prespective...

Hi guys,

Thought you might welcome a Portuguese prespective in all this footy discussion.

4 years ago we were put out of the Euro2000 by France, in the Semi-Finals, with a golden goal penalty at the end of the second half of extra time.
The day after my English boss asked me if I thought the penalty was fair, I said no, that it was the defender was too close and that the ball hit the hand and not the other way around. He replied, "sorry Rui, that was indeed a penalty". After 3 or 4 days looking at the pictures I realised he was right and I was a fool not too have seen that imediatly.

Now, I visit ScoobyNet almost everyday and was quite surprised to see your reaction to the British team defeat at Euro2004. Sorry guys, that was a clean goal... don't take my word for it, have a look here:

http://www.euro2004.com/News/Kind=1/newsId=202214.html

I don't know how you usually play in the Premiership, I know you have a more agressive championship and some diferent rules, but anywhere else in Europe, that's a fault.

Now, England was very unfortunate with Rooney's injury, but football has this things. But, then again, not all is bad, you were lucky in the first goal, that was a huge mistake by the Portuguese defender (don't expect him to do that again for the next few years ) and that gave Michael Owen the chance to score a brilliant goal (honestly, his movement was pure genious).

Penalties, please, please, please, to see a player like Beckham finding excuses for missing that really puts him down. We have a saying that goes something like this "Aquele que se desculpa culpa-se" (he who finds excuses, blames himself). He missed it, because he missed it, all players do that every now and then, no need to explain. Rui Costa scored an outstanding goal and missed a penalty too... so what? it happens (I know, 2 letters missing )

At the end of the day, I think Portugal deserved to win, they scored as many goals as England and they played soo mutch better... (flame suit on)

But, most of all, it's only football, it can be very frustrating sometimes, but that's what makes it so adictive too. It's quite disapointing to see all the gossip around this subject latelly (newspapers selling what the disapointed fans want to buy "robed", "blind referee"). His life, his car, his house, photographed and exposed... is it worth it?

Even if that was a mistake, which it wasn't, he had a second to make a decision. You've seen it again and again, with all the time in the world, and still don't get what the Senior UEFA refereeing officials say was a clean goal.

Hope you don't misunderstand what I've said, it is not, at all, my intention to provoke. It's just a Portuguese, always partial point of view.

Enjoy football, enjoy sports, enjoy your scooby's as much as I do mine

Peace,
Rui

Ps. I have the little hope that some of you might be supporting us in the next games... Comm'on at least you can say "we've lost to the European Champions"... That's what we said about the French, 4 years ago :lol

Fingers crossed
Old 28 June 2004, 10:30 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

quote: quite surprised to see your reaction to the British team defeat at Euro2004

Those sweaties were behind us after all!
Old 28 June 2004, 11:01 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

No chance me supporting the 'lucky' Portuguese..I'm going for the last quality team left,Holland or maybe the Czechs
Old 28 June 2004, 11:59 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Always go for the underdog sides. If they win, they can fetch some good money for ya!

Rui, see you in Portugal m8. I'll be at the semi and the final.

COME ON ELLAS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by WREXY; 29 June 2004 at 12:01 AM.
Old 29 June 2004, 10:46 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see Portugal win it.
Old 29 June 2004, 02:47 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Well at least we all had a blast and got all excited for a while.

Roll on Germany 2006 - Now that's where we want to put to bed the ghosts of the past

ps - For the Scots - It will be 40 years since We last won it you know
Old 29 June 2004, 03:54 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rui,

Thanks for your eloquent post.
Hope you get stuffed by the Dutch.

Suresh
Old 29 June 2004, 07:44 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

Location: I am lost. I have gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

rui,
obrigado para sua tentativa ao patronise nós e diga que sua vitória
era justa mas nos deixe o enfrentar que você está tentando somente
justificar um travisty que foi a sua vantagem.

nós quebramos o vento em seu sentido na sugestão very de uma
vitória justa

sangrentos foriegners

Last edited by ||VaNDaL||; 29 June 2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 29 June 2004, 08:28 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

I know a bit of portuguese and his my translation

rui, debtor for its attempt to patronise we and says that its victory was joust but in them facing leaves that you are only trying to justify one travisty that was its advantage. we break the wind in its direction in the suggestion very of a victory joust foriegners bloody

Ok i know nothing! but babel fish reckon they do
Old 29 June 2004, 08:44 PM
||VaNDaL||
Scooby Regular

Location: I am lost. I have gone to find myself, if I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Originally Posted by planky
I know a bit of portuguese and his my translation

Ok i know nothing! but babel fish reckon they do
ah, the deep joy of online translators......... depends on spelling and correct punctuation, even correct phraseology but then you cant even write in english m8

Oh and just cos i am a rather immature type.....

Last edited by ||VaNDaL||; 29 June 2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 29 June 2004, 09:18 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

So you're not very good at portuguese then

Hows your dutch?.. kom op Holland en sla de zeer gelukkige Portugees