Sport General sport discussion

Feedback site for last nights referee

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 10:16 AM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback site for last nights referee

I take it that many of you watched the game last night.

You may be please to know that the Referee has his own website where he asks fans to comment on his performance. I would not like to suggest what you write, but feel free to express yourself.

try this clicky to find it.

Max
Old 25 June 2004, 10:37 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobimax
I take it that many of you watched the game last night.

You may be please to know that the Referee has his own website where he asks fans to comment on his performance. I would not like to suggest what you write, but feel free to express yourself.

try this clicky to find it.

Max
England were beaten by the better side. Do we have to continue this litany of excuses? First it's the referee (isn't it always), then it's the pitch and laughably I hear it's now down to the failure of the whole population to get behind the team.

Do you really think the referee really gives a toss?

Get over it.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:42 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

PORTUGAL vs ENGLAND
35 Total Shots 16
8 Shots on target 8
716 Passes 524
550 Passes completed 334
13 Corner kicks 9
21 Free kicks conceded 27
14 Fouls committed 25
5 Offsides 2
3 Yellow cards 3
0 Red cards 0
43' Ball Possession 27
61 Ball possession % 39

The referee's part in the game was pretty even sided according to the opta stats.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:34 AM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

England were beaten by the better side. Do we have to continue this litany of excuses? First it's the referee (isn't it always), then it's the pitch and laughably I hear it's now down to the failure of the whole population to get behind the team.

Get over it.
Totally agree with your sentiments on whether or not we ‘deserved’ to win on the performance. Portugal played the better football in the second half, winning the midfield and we looked jaded.

Nonetheless we did score a perfectly legitimate goal that would have won the match. I’m not relying on a referee to win the game for us, but I do expect quality fair refereeing. There were many free-kicks not awarded to us that would have gone the other way if comitted by England, Indeed Portugal received freekicks for ‘offences’ far less severe. I don’t believe that Callina or Frisk would have refereed the game in the same way. I can accept (just) inept and inconsistant referring in the 1st Division (sorry, Coca Cola Championship) but not at a major Championship - these are supposed to be the best referees out there.

At the end of the day he made a mistake! – the referee’s assistant had given the goal.

Max

Last edited by scoobimax; 25 June 2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:42 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

99 times out of 100 though, in any competition, if an attacker goes up against the keeper, the decision is given the way of the keeper. The ref would have done the same up the other end of the pitch.

The fact he didn't even card Ashley Cole confirms that he wasn't playing in their pockets.
Old 25 June 2004, 12:53 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The ref blew up do dissallow a goal when he was miles away he gave a free kick against Wayne rooney when his ankle was stamped on and a bone broken. He gave a yellow card to steven gerrard for the best tackle of the game and let portugal get away with murder. Who ever played the best football is irrelevant when the referee was clearly infulenced to help the home side. The fact is we won the game but the referee gave it to portugal. When the referee helped England to the semis in euro 96 I was happy to admit that the ref won it for us but just like in france and mexico bad refereeing has cost us dearly. Somtimes thats football but England consistantly get the worst refs and worst draws in international football.

Last edited by Luan Pra bang; 25 June 2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 25 June 2004, 01:14 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

His ankle wasn't stamped on, he rolled over it.

Ashley Cole was lucky not to be carded, especially if you are saying that they got away with murder.

Old 25 June 2004, 01:29 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income

Get over it.
Do you honestly believe that? We had a fair goal disallowed, regardless of who played better
Old 25 June 2004, 01:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
It was stamped on!! You could clearly see the defender stand on him in the replay, did you watch the match??
Old 25 June 2004, 01:36 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Yes thanks, I did.

Unbelievably I am still rational in my thinking. He may have been clipped but it wasn't stamped on.

I can't believe all the sensationalism that going on. Its football, we lost fair and square, no conspiracies.
Old 25 June 2004, 04:29 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

angry, it was definately stamped on, not deliberately, but as he put his foot down, the defender stood on his ankle which turned it over.

How else would you lose a boot??? Try and watch it again if you can.
Old 25 June 2004, 04:43 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Dreamweaver, I apologise. The use of the word "stamped" insinuated that this was a deliberate attempt to injure Rooney. I did remember him being clipped but certainly not stamped on. I just watched a re-run here at work and he does indeed catch the side of his foot, but it looks like the injury is caused by the rolling of the foot which occurs straight away.

I am utterly sick of today, one side you have got mindless England thugs threatening to hang a referee plus anyone who may be Portuguese, or anyone who suggests that their perceptions of the referee aren't entirely true and England were outplayed.

Then on the other side you have got people who have no care for football, or English football at least, winding up the other group, and displaying incredible levels of ignorance towards what is an important thing to many.

Lighten up everyone!
Old 25 June 2004, 04:52 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Agreed AN, Lets lighten everyone up, it is Friday after all and life goes on:

Old 25 June 2004, 04:52 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Ashley Cole was lucky not to be carded, especially if you are saying that they got away with murder.

The only valid photo here is the 1st one - all of the others are post-goal. Terry does appear to be obstructing the goalkeeper, but in open play if 2 players were competing like that, there'd be no problem.

And Rooney's ankle wasn't injured, it was his foot which got broken when trodden on after he lost his boot.
Old 25 June 2004, 04:56 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo
The only valid photo here is the 1st one - all of the others are post-goal. Terry does appear to be obstructing the goalkeeper, but in open play if 2 players were competing like that, there'd be no problem.

And Rooney's ankle wasn't injured, it was his foot which got broken when trodden on after he lost his boot.
Open play is a different matter, decisions like this always go the way of the keeper.

Ankle / Foot <-> Tomato / Tomayto

At least this picture explains away the penalty miss
Old 25 June 2004, 05:31 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Yeah, shame Becks had another penalty spot "incident" like the Turkish one.

Right, I must get back to the rioting...
Old 25 June 2004, 07:47 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

The picture really isnt relevant as it doesn't show peoples movements. If you considder the keeper was late getting over to Sol, who was well in the air before the keeper got there. Terry was also there first, as the keeper came over.

When all the commentary team agreed we were robbed, that said it for me, they know much more than I imagine most of us do...

MB
Old 26 June 2004, 09:59 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

PORTUGAL vs ENGLAND
35 Total Shots 16
8 Shots on target 8
716 Passes 524
550 Passes completed 334
13 Corner kicks 9
21 Free kicks conceded 27
14 Fouls committed 25
5 Offsides 2
3 Yellow cards 3
0 Red cards 0
43' Ball Possession 27
61 Ball possession % 39
1 Goals scored after normal time 2
Portugal were the better team on the night, but you cant argue with the fact that England put the ball in the net twice and at the end of extra time the scores were even. The referee did have a very bad game against England.
Its some comfort that all the other big European teams have fallen out, even before the quarter finals.

Scholes and Beckham had a very poor last match. And something not mentioned before, Id have stuck with King in defence rather than have Terry. Possibly if king was told that he was 1st selection he wouldnt have gone home early.