Sport General sport discussion

Beckham...

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2004, 10:19 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beckham...

He's certainly earning his salary tonight...
Old 24 June 2004, 10:32 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
He's certainly earning his salary tonight...
That's the end of him as captain. Over the hill.

UB
Old 24 June 2004, 10:33 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I was v shocked at that actually! Poor display!
Old 24 June 2004, 10:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Is he the chap that MISSED the penalty.

Chip
Old 24 June 2004, 10:38 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Chavid Beckham was poor

Originally Posted by Chip
Is he the chap that MISSED the penalty.

Chip
Again....

Too much banging and too little penalty practice IMHO
Old 24 June 2004, 10:40 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

To say I'm shocked is like comparing me to a goal scoring goalie

Seriously, England were well robbed, even if they did play like a bunch oh geriatric day trippers

I'm saddened but yet amazed by the whole game, truly a wierd and sureal turn of events...........

And here was me thinking that goalies were never who I ever wanted to be when I grew up
Old 24 June 2004, 10:46 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** poor display from the tosser
Old 24 June 2004, 10:58 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Imagine what Kieron Dyer could have done in his place???
Old 25 June 2004, 08:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

England never played well enough to deserve a win anyway. Owen's goal was outstanding however and the disallowed goal will always be contentious. The least said about the penalties the better I think. And I don't follow footie either!

Les
Old 25 June 2004, 08:31 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

yes beckhams mind is probably on which hooker he's gonna bang next, he's been $hite all tournament!
Old 25 June 2004, 09:28 AM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Red face

Beckam has lost it, must be the spanish food a that f~#king tatoo on his neck has drained him of his skills.
Old 25 June 2004, 09:59 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Default Beckhams penalty

Owen said yesterday that the day before when they were all practicing penatlys the same problem happened with the penatly spot. (On the same pitch!)

Why oh why did beckhams tiny brain cell not remember this slightly important fact? Perhaps "place" it instead of using power?

He played sh!te throughout the game. They are all ranting and raving on the radio about the negative effect it would of had on the team if he was taken off, didn't happen when Figo came off did it?
Old 25 June 2004, 11:15 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Owen took the goal well but on reflection it's scrappy was Route 1 Football, Keeper straight up and bang its in. England did not deserver to win as they were the poorer side for the whole of the 90 minutes, why did they not play the way they did in Extra Time for the original 90 minutes. Bleating on about this decision and that is pretty typical, always someone else's fault. Bottom line is the players/team were not good enough.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:17 AM
James_TypeR
Scooby Regular

i think Beckham needs to come back to the premiership..

since hes gone to Spain, his fitness level has plumetted!!! he didnt look half the player he was when at United.... that engine he had before has practically burnt out... he was near enough walking towards end of 90 minutes and barely left the halfway line, while Gary Neville was up and down the wing asking for the ball.

that penalty spot was appauling. they should have swapped ends and tried. for th ereferee to not even have a look at it and let play continue... was a disgrace....

as for disallowing the goal... you can tell which team the referee had place his big money bet on at the bookies..... there was nothing wrong with it. and the goalkeeper was beaten fairly... i think he was more afraid to get in th eway of Sol Campbell than anything else!

im proud of the players, i think most of them gave it their all, and they did england proud. its just a shame EUFA let a ref from a nation England played in the group stages and beat... ref our quarter finals.

we won that game, and England can hold their heads high and say they won, even tho we are now out. everyone knows the real truth.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:18 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

How come he can do it in all the adverts, but not on the pitch???

Anyway this made me chuckle.....

Old 25 June 2004, 11:20 AM
James_TypeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
He played sh!te throughout the game. They are all ranting and raving on the radio about the negative effect it would of had on the team if he was taken off, didn't happen when Figo came off did it?

You say that mate, but to be honest, who on the bench would you have brought on in his place? there isnt exactly alot of better wingers on the bench he could have chosen....

Keiron Dyer maybe....

Hesky? NO!

hargreaves - what he was doing on the ball some of th etime is beyond me.... he was triping over himself trying to run past people!

to be perfectly honest...why Joe Cole wasnt picked for the squad was beyond me. he is an exciting player like Ronaldo and would have given England a better attacking option on the left side. and move Scholes to the front with Owen after Rooney went off.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:25 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James_TypeR
You say that mate, but to be honest, who on the bench would you have brought on in his place? there isnt exactly alot of better wingers on the bench he could have chosen....

Keiron Dyer maybe....

Hesky? NO!

hargreaves - what he was doing on the ball some of th etime is beyond me.... he was triping over himself trying to run past people!

to be perfectly honest...why Joe Cole wasnt picked for the squad was beyond me. he is an exciting player like Ronaldo and would have given England a better attacking option on the left side. and move Scholes to the front with Owen after Rooney went off.
James,
You hit the nail on the head, there is no real depth of squad in the England Team. 6-7 Great players and the rest are workman like. They play well together but lose one or two key players and it a huge issue. When playing a tournament you always lose players(injury/suspension) or need to make tactical changes depending on the opposition. Eriksson's options are always limited. It showed tonight.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:38 AM
James_TypeR
Scooby Regular

Thanks Camk, its true, we only have 6-7 good players.

Heskey should be dropped completely from England squad. had i been in charge i would have had on bench

Cole
Dyer
Jenas
P.Neville
Scott Parker
Smith
Bridge

Alan Smith - exciting and heartful player and always committed to his country/club when on the field

Cole - Always plays with calmness and can undo many good defenses with good passing.

Jenas - we all saw when he played for England in a recent game, he was man of the match. he has the same engine that Beckham had when he pulled us through by the scruff of the neck against Greece and man handled the game.

Bridge - been in excellent form for Chelsea all season and would have been the answer to Englands left wing problems, and also backing up Ashely Cole, who at times looked like he was marking 2 people.

Scott Parker - Excellent holding and attacking player, would have been an excellent choice replacement after bringing Scholes off.

Dyer - played up front for newcastle most the season.... scored a few goals and very fast.... he could have really played well after Rooney off.

P. Neville - well.... i dont rate him highly.. i think he makes a few to many rash challenges. but he is always a good solid defensive midfielder.

in all England really missed Ferdinand in the defense with Sol campbell. he is undoubtly one of the best center backs in the world, and i dont think Postiga would have scored had ferdinand been there.
Old 25 June 2004, 07:39 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Anyone reckon the rumours about personal life are true, and thats affecting his performance? He didn't look that interested to me?

I know Posh turns up, but wonder if they've just decided to carry on for the money. Any thoughts?

MB
Old 25 June 2004, 08:35 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

TBH IMHO - I think the guy is a legend, he came from a rough hole & look at him career wise he is an idol, made more money than (probably) the lot of us put together, can do basically anything he wants & he misses a penalty(which tbh wasnt his fault) & you feel like flaming him

Well as an England Captain he has achieved a lot & will go on to achieve a lot in the future, .............. with Man U he achieve major honours, with Real he WILL achieve, outside of work he ACHIEVES who cares if he sleeps around, he a WELL respected guy & millions would love to be him

Give him a break FFS

Stephen
Old 25 June 2004, 09:16 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

can do basically anything he wants & he misses a penalty(which tbh wasnt his fault) & you feel like flaming him
So whose fault was it? even their keeper scored from the spot.Bottom line is he had an abysmal tournament and did nothing to contribute IMO he was lucky to have even started last nights match

Hes not bad at Corners though
Old 26 June 2004, 10:01 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James_TypeR
in all England really missed Ferdinand in the defense with Sol campbell. he is undoubtly one of the best center backs in the world, and i dont think Postiga would have scored had ferdinand been there.
Jonathon Woodgate is as good as Rio Ferdinand IMO pity he was injured most of the last season and this summer
Old 27 June 2004, 12:24 AM
jonjo
Scooby Regular

I went to see real madrid against barcelona for me b'day this april just gone and i can honestly say that beckham was the best player on the pitch.He out muscled edgar davids in the center of midfield and thats not easy going considering his energy! I,ve watched most of madrids games this season on sky sports and he has almost always been the pivitol player that creates something.With players like zidane and figo in there as well i think he has shown his worth.
As for euro 2004,he was definately under par but every player has bad patches and as far as i can remember this is his first really bad patch,its just come at a bad time.I'm a big football fan and it sickens me to think that the press who rely on english sport sucess to fill there back pages decide to absoulutely slate him just weeks before the tournement and during it,ecspecially as if he plays well then england are on fire,which proves that he is infact a good captain.
Whatever is said about beckham you cant doubt his footballing talent and next season i think he will bounce back from recent poor form in a big way.No one can possibly play to there ful potential with whats gone on for him in the past couple of months regardless of the arguement that he's brought on his self.Just remeber without the 5 goals he scored in qualifing for euro 2004 we would'nt even have been in portugal......................
Old 27 June 2004, 12:31 AM
jonjo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
TBH IMHO - I think the guy is a legend, he came from a rough hole & look at him career wise he is an idol, made more money than (probably) the lot of us put together, can do basically anything he wants & he misses a penalty(which tbh wasnt his fault) & you feel like flaming him

Well as an England Captain he has achieved a lot & will go on to achieve a lot in the future, .............. with Man U he achieve major honours, with Real he WILL achieve, outside of work he ACHIEVES who cares if he sleeps around, he a WELL respected guy & millions would love to be him

Give him a break FFS

Stephen
Finally someone with some f***ing sense.Well done that man!!Got it in one!!
Old 27 June 2004, 08:28 AM
catalunya199again
Scooby Regular

Quote:
can do basically anything he wants & he misses a penalty(which tbh wasnt his fault) & you feel like flaming him

So whose fault was it? even their keeper scored from the spot.Bottom line is he had an abysmal tournament and did nothing to contribute IMO he was lucky to have even started last nights match
correct he was shocking all tournemnt he is paid around 100k a week and cant hit the goal from 12 yards that is shocking yes the spot was cr$p but everyone else hit the target (alass rui costa).

most of the england team were hopeless there is only a few players who can hold there heads high after that game.

a.cole
g.neville
s.campbell
f.lampard (just)
m.owen (who had no service all game)

england had no chance playing the game they did hitting long ***** to 2 of the smallest strikers in the tournement there center backs must of been loving it if they were going to play like that should of bought heskey on at least he has a presence tin the air.

see you in 2 years to slate england over the shambes of the world cup
Old 27 June 2004, 10:09 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
Hes not bad at Corners though
Most of those were below par & failed to get over the first defender.

Darren
Old 27 June 2004, 06:03 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Quote:Imagine what Kieron Dyer could have done in his place???

**** all he's sh1te
Old 27 June 2004, 08:56 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I hope you're joking. He can rip defences apart and has some imagination....

MB
Old 28 June 2004, 12:03 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark

I hope you're joking. He can rip defences apart and has some imagination....

MB
Really?
Old 28 June 2004, 09:59 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

No Joke

He is feckin useless, rip defenses apart?? who's exactly, his defending is crap but at the same time hillarious, don't you just love the way he stands on the post fopr corners and free kicks and then just watches the ball sail in rather than attempting to block/clear, sorry IMHO he is right up there as the daddy of this generation of money happy lazy footballers.

Quick Reply: Beckham...