Sport General sport discussion

Final Score: England 2 - 1 Portugal

Old 24 June 2004, 10:08 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Score: England 2 - 1 Portugal

Anyone care to disagree?

Once again, England are cheated out of a vital fair goal by an unprofessional spineless referee who consistanly showed bias toward the home team.

Should NEVER have gone to ET

Non-football supporters need not reply.

Last edited by mad_dr; 24 June 2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 25 June 2004, 03:31 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

if you watch it again m8, it was a foul on the goalie by terry, reff 100% right and yes iam english, but to very nice goals by owen and costa top game,we lost,time to move on, COME ON THE Czech Republic
Old 25 June 2004, 03:55 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Agree (partly) with both of you.

It was a perfectly fair goal in my view. But by the same token it is done now.

At least we can enjoy the rest of the tournament without that tension, I guess!!

While I'm here, I think pretty much the whole team bar the midfield deserve a pat on the back. Didn't play the football be hoped, expected and know they can play, but even so showed a lot of guts.
Old 25 June 2004, 07:42 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-si
if you watch it again m8, it was a foul on the goalie by terry, reff 100% right and yes iam english, but to very nice goals by owen and costa top game,we lost,time to move on, COME ON THE Czech Republic
no way Si - goal should have stood! yes Terry's arm was out (for leverage), but look at his eyes - never left the ball. the keeper never even attempted to jump!

however, the Czechs have impressed and i think the tournament still is, as it has always been, wide open!
Old 25 June 2004, 11:39 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

So its not a foul if you impede the Goalie as long as you're not looking at him..... Bottom line is that is a foul in any game on the continent, week in week out.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:59 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by camk
So its not a foul if you impede the Goalie as long as you're not looking at him..... Bottom line is that is a foul in any game on the continent, week in week out.
you are absolutely right camk....

but impeding IMO implies intent - tell me where JT intentionally impeded the goalie to give Sol Campbell the advantage. that is my point about his eyes, he focused on the ball only not where the keeper was!

JT was first to jump for the ball... SC followed and the goalie while trying to get across his line made little or no attempt to jump and ran into JT as he was on his way back down. that IMO is not impeding! please explain to me why it is!

so week in week out on the continent players jump out of the way of the keeper to allow him a comfortable catch/save - me thinks not!
Old 25 June 2004, 12:14 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K9VYN
you are absolutely right camk....

but impeding IMO implies intent - tell me where JT intentionally impeded the goalie to give Sol Campbell the advantage. that is my point about his eyes, he focused on the ball only not where the keeper was!

JT was first to jump for the ball... SC followed and the goalie while trying to get across his line made little or no attempt to jump and ran into JT as he was on his way back down. that IMO is not impeding! please explain to me why it is!

so week in week out on the continent players jump out of the way of the keeper to allow him a comfortable catch/save - me thinks not!

They don't jump out the way but they concede a free kick.

http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~rpfc/p1_campbell_getty.jpg

judge for yourself, is the keeper being blocked ? Hint :- Where is Terry's left elbow

Last edited by camk; 25 June 2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 25 June 2004, 12:45 PM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

They don't jump out the way but they concede a free kick.

http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~rpfc/p1_campbell_getty.jpg

judge for yourself, is the keeper being blocked ? Hint :- Where is Terry's left elbow
agreed JT's elbow is in the way... my point is that he (and his elbow) were there before the keeper challenged..

in your pic he's on his way down from a jump so it can't be helped that his arm/elbow is in that position when the keeper arrives. i'm sure you see my point? that as far as i am concered can't be considered impeding. how many times do you see keepers fail to get through a ruck of players and miss the ball - yet there is no free kick awarded to the keeper.
Old 25 June 2004, 12:53 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Just watched it on the news, if it went the other way and the goal was given I'd be aggrieved. It was a correct decision for me but again my opinion doesn't count, just that of the ref.
Old 25 June 2004, 02:11 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Disagree.

As has been said above (I think) he didnt use the keeper for leverage. Ricardo jumped into his elbow.

Anyway, this is meant to be a mans game - it is rapidly turning into a non contact sport.

Bring back the good old day where you could score by shoulder barging the keeper over the line while he was holding tha ball, thats what I say.
Old 25 June 2004, 02:24 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

...and those big heavy blaader *****, probably would have helped Figo
Old 26 June 2004, 02:13 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

K9VYN terry should now any contact with the goalie is a possible foul.
Old 26 June 2004, 09:16 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

apparently the ref haas now said that he didn't give the foul for Terry's jump on the goalie, but for an earlier push by Campbell on one of the defenders.

i thought the ref had a poor game overall, but then we didn't play that well either. we should have pushed on and got another goal much earlier, instead of leaving it to a last minute scramble.

all split milk now, in any case.
Old 26 June 2004, 09:43 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Goal should have stood, patently obvious it should have
Old 26 June 2004, 11:45 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

To be fair though, on the balance of play Portugal earned the game.

Darren
Old 26 June 2004, 06:11 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Angry

wheres the rest of me feckin post, modded again for no good reason, this is really pi55ing me off
Old 26 June 2004, 06:42 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
wheres the rest of me feckin post, modded again for no good reason, this is really pi55ing me off
NOTHING has been edited of yours on this thread, so quit moaning all the time. Make sure you are on correct thread!
Old 28 June 2004, 01:16 PM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Just watched it on the news, if it went the other way and the goal was given I'd be aggrieved. It was a correct decision for me but again my opinion doesn't count, just that of the ref.

'tis absolutely right, no disputing that. and on tyhe balance of play (as statsed above) Portugal deserved to go through. had it been the other way and the goal stood i would have been disappointed for England but not agrieved as it would have been the right decision.
Old 28 June 2004, 01:19 PM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-si
K9VYN terry should now any contact with the goalie is a possible foul.
you're right Si, and i'm sure he does. i also don't think he made any deliberate contact with the keeper who cleverly imitated being impeded by run under JT's leap - it all about the timing. take JT away and given the keepers starting position... SC would still have scored!
Old 28 June 2004, 01:55 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

They think its all over.....'It is now'.....