Notices
Sport General sport discussion

Man United Thread 2016-2017

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2016, 02:38 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Didn't see the game only highlights, but it's worth JM using the Europa league to mix and match to try to get his best team.

The only positive was Rooney's goal, it was such a nice goal. Hopefully he might start putting a few more in. Pogba injured doesn't concern me as I think it will force him to use other players.
Old 05 November 2016, 09:38 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gave up after 2nd goal. We are so predictable it is laughable. Not one player seems to want to break quickly, take players on. Mundane tappy tappy sideways and backward passes.
Old 08 November 2016, 08:43 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decent performance against Swansea.
Tough next game though.

Don't understand Maurino's comments post match though - surely that's not helping anything

Last edited by urban; 08 November 2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08 November 2016, 10:40 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Decent performance against Swansea.
Tough next game though.

Don't understand Maurino's comments post match though - surely that's not helping anything
A team that didn't even make a tackle in the first half
Old 08 November 2016, 10:47 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Yeah, fair enough. ultimately I was really saying - finally, a win
Old 19 November 2016, 11:46 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Well lets see what today brings eh..!
Will we give it em up the Arsenal...?
Hope so....
Old 19 November 2016, 02:42 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Ummmm.
As usual ,UTD do all the work then Ryland pops up and puts one in....! ffs
Draw not really what we needed.
Old 21 November 2016, 09:47 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Shame really, as United were by far the better team
Old 21 November 2016, 11:50 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

We were, but yet again cant find the killer touch to see opponents off....
Old 24 November 2016, 10:34 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Now that was a bit more like it tonight seeing off Feyernord...
Old 25 November 2016, 08:06 AM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

well done Wayne, he's an unbelievable player and not only for us but for his Country
I never understand why MU supporters are always ready to annihilate him for a few bad games over what has been a sparkling career played at the very top since he was 17
(I wish I could have scored one goal for us, even just to pull the shirt on for one game, he's a legend)
Old 25 November 2016, 09:18 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think he needed the kick up the **** though.. his performances up until being benched were shocking
Old 25 November 2016, 09:24 AM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

agreed, it seems to work, look at Yaya he was looking lean, mean and hungry again (worst luck)

lets hope Henrikh has turned the corner as well, he could become a great player if he gets the belief he can play at OT
Old 25 November 2016, 09:49 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Last nights game was alot better i know the side wasn't the best but man u punished them.

Mata, Herrera are both playing well. Was good to see that Rooney played, benching him seems to help, some players can just get comfortable knowing there first choice, but he has plenty of players that can easy replace him on bench.
Old 25 November 2016, 11:01 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

It was a good all round performance with three stunning goals.

Rooney and Micki were the men of the match for me

I wonder if Maureen has finally realised his centre mid pairing has to be Carrick and Pogba, I've been saying it for 3 months now, Carrick runs the show allowing those in front of him to express themselves properly.

Good work more of the same please, we've seen it coming together slowly over the past few weeks.

Even Scholes was positive after the game, that's the first time in three years
Old 25 November 2016, 11:38 AM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
It was a good all round performance with three stunning goals.

Rooney and Micki were the men of the match for me

I wonder if Maureen has finally realised his centre mid pairing has to be Carrick and Pogba, I've been saying it for 3 months now, Carrick runs the show allowing those in front of him to express themselves properly.

Good work more of the same please, we've seen it coming together slowly over the past few weeks.

Even Scholes was positive after the game, that's the first time in three years

Errr you maybe need a career change.... EPL Manager or maybe better a TOP FIFA 17 manager

Consistency is the key, no use blowing hot and cold, a decent run of 10 -15 games with some good wins and a couple of draws, no losses is what we need now for the team, manager and our World Wide support
Old 25 November 2016, 01:56 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Its a start, but this boost might help players, they looked really upbeat after the game lets hope that continues.
Old 26 November 2016, 11:55 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

What channel is it on. Can't find any info of tomorrow's game?
Old 26 November 2016, 03:50 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

It's easy to beat weak sides that give you a lot of time and space on the ball, that Feyenoord team would struggle on the scottish premier league and that's saying something. Rooney played well but he generally does against weak opposition, it's against the better sides where he struggles that don't give him time and space on the ball, he then starts to have clumsy first touches due to pressure and gives the ball away.

The win should do them good for confidence but you won't get many easier games than that.
Old 26 November 2016, 04:21 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
What channel is it on. Can't find any info of tomorrow's game?

Don't think its on TV.
1630 PM KICK OFF
**** v Bournemouth and Southampton v Everton on Sky 1
Old 26 November 2016, 07:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Nooooooo
Old 27 November 2016, 06:41 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

That was yet another poor performance in the league, United are turning into Wimbledon, the tactics seem to be lump the ball into the box and see if Ibrahimovic can get his head on the end it, i lost count around 20 at how many times we floated a high ball into the box hoping someone can get on the end of it.

Out of that current lineup today we only have one genuine world class player and that's De Gae, all the rest are replaceable. Ibrahimovic's overall performances have been poor, he looks slow and lethargic and has no sharpness in the box, deffo past his best.

Don't get me started on Pogba, this is one of the worse and least creative United teams i've seen for a long time. Their are plenty who are currently wearing the shirt that are simply not United standard like Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini, Lingard, Jones, Mata, Rooney, Ibrahimovic. Their are plenty more, those are from the ones that started today.

Even Rashford of late has got no end product and is having a lot of clumsy touches, this is a massive job and were getting worse by the week.
Old 27 November 2016, 08:18 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

just over a third of the League games played:
we're 11 points off the Top and 8 points away from a CL spot !

It's about time we started planning for the future instead of firefighting and throwing zillions away on every transfer window that comes along for that magical quick fix

We have enough good players, not all world beaters, but enough quality to be beating the likes of:
West Ham, Burnley and Stoke at home every day of the week (6 points dropped)
Away at Watford, get a draw there and we'd be sitting on 27 points in touch with the Top teams
Those 4 teams should be bankers and cannon fodder to us
C'mon for f()cks sake lets get a grip and start playing for the shirt and supporters
Old 28 November 2016, 01:00 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Think your being abit harsh there, Rashford has been played in LM and RM but he's a striker and has hardly been in that position. Mata has been playing well and Pogba looks strong on the ball, not worth his money, but united were struggling to attract the players, if it was me i'd have bought younger up and coming players, shelby he's such a good passer, and i bet would cost alot less than Schweinsteiger, who looks like he might be going. If they could get him playing well then that might help united for abit.

I don't think the problem is the players at all, all though i just think they need to stop buying older players for insane money. Just hunt for up and coming starts, and try bring a few more in from the youth squad.

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
That was yet another poor performance in the league, United are turning into Wimbledon, the tactics seem to be lump the ball into the box and see if Ibrahimovic can get his head on the end it, i lost count around 20 at how many times we floated a high ball into the box hoping someone can get on the end of it.

Out of that current lineup today we only have one genuine world class player and that's De Gae, all the rest are replaceable. Ibrahimovic's overall performances have been poor, he looks slow and lethargic and has no sharpness in the box, deffo past his best.

Don't get me started on Pogba, this is one of the worse and least creative United teams i've seen for a long time. Their are plenty who are currently wearing the shirt that are simply not United standard like Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini, Lingard, Jones, Mata, Rooney, Ibrahimovic. Their are plenty more, those are from the ones that started today.

Even Rashford of late has got no end product and is having a lot of clumsy touches, this is a massive job and were getting worse by the week.
Old 28 November 2016, 01:11 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im really confused why people arent seeing the proper picture here - are you true utd fans?

bar 2 keepers playing worldies and a last minute smash and grab we would be 2 points off the top, whilst playing infinitely better football than the past 2 years..

Listen to Ander Herrera, its mega frustrating and our poisition in the table is not indicative of where we should be.
Old 28 November 2016, 01:20 PM
elgassi
Scooby Regular

I fear for the future as far as youth players go, the kids just aren't interested in playing football in the numbers they used to, social media, COD, etc etc, sitting in the house playing games, I reckon the beautiful game and many clubs will disappear in the coming years -doom and gloom
Old 28 November 2016, 06:59 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
Im really confused why people arent seeing the proper picture here - are you true utd fans?

bar 2 keepers playing worldies and a last minute smash and grab we would be 2 points off the top, whilst playing infinitely better football than the past 2 years..

Listen to Ander Herrera, its mega frustrating and our poisition in the table is not indicative of where we should be.
The signs are there, we have been unlucky, but also some of the finishing has been poor, it reminds me of Fergie's early years, although I still belive it will come, the Feyenord game had three lovely team goals.

Pathetic sending off for Maureen, didn't warrant a red imo, unlike his last one and he's also been charged by the FA this afternoon, I suppose they still need to pay for Wembley, all donations greatly received......
Old 28 November 2016, 10:02 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

All clubs have there ups and downs. And there's a lot more completion in the premier league. Look at man city. They use to be the under dog team next door then along comes a few rich millionaires and there's a lot more completion in the top of the table.

I think united has better players than other teams above them. Things will change, if they don't the owners will kick out the manger. They can't afford not to be at the top.
Old 30 November 2016, 11:59 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Think your being abit harsh there, Rashford has been played in LM and RM but he's a striker and has hardly been in that position. Mata has been playing well and Pogba looks strong on the ball, not worth his money, but united were struggling to attract the players, if it was me i'd have bought younger up and coming players, shelby he's such a good passer, and i bet would cost alot less than Schweinsteiger, who looks like he might be going. If they could get him playing well then that might help united for abit.

I don't think the problem is the players at all, all though i just think they need to stop buying older players for insane money. Just hunt for up and coming starts, and try bring a few more in from the youth squad.
I don't think i'm being harsh, i'm just being a honest United fan.

Do you think that so far Ibrahimovic has shown any kind of form that you would say he's justifying his reported £260k a week wage ?

The same question goes for Paul Pogba who is reported to be on £290k a week, again the same question with Wayne Rooney's wages, do you think he's justifying being on a reported wage of upto £300k a week ?

Your point about Rashford being played out of position, he's scored goals in the past from playing out of position in a similar position to what he's been playing recently. Of late his form has really dropped off, the end product hasn't been their, he's over running the ball into touch, he's been losing the ball a lot.

Compare what Klopp, Conte and Guardiola have done in such a short space of time where considerably less has been spent on their squads. Liverpool are unrecognisable to the team that Klopp took over, the same goes for the Chelsea team that Conte inherited, Guardiola is also doing a great job at City and he's had to deal with a fair few key injuries.

The difference between those 3 above and Mourinho is that the 3 above didn't see throwing silly amounts of money at players as being the answer, they have coached their teams to be very good and well organised teams that press and work hard and then with the ball they are good to watch.

Mourinho last season at Chelsea looked a beaten man that was under pressure and couldn't handle the pressure, that's the first time in his career that he's experienced real pressure and he failed, he also reportedly lost the dressing room.

Personally i think he's past his sell by date and his ideas of playing the game are well past their sell by date, how many defensive teams are successful these days ? The most successful club sides around the world are attacking based sides that work hard when they don't have the ball to press their opponents, United have no style other than being fairly boring to watch these days, how many games is it now since we last won a league game at Old Trafford ? I think it's around 4 games now since they last won a league game at Old Trafford, that's unheard of by Man United's high standards, even LVG wasn't this bad and that's saying something.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 30 November 2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 30 November 2016, 12:20 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Can't really complain about Rooney he's been a star united player in past. His form isn't the best at moment but leaving him on the bench for abit seems to be helping him.

Smalling was playing well last season but he's gone off the boil. To be fair united has bought some older players for silly money. And Pogba which I've not been blown away so far, but for the money you expect an amazing player they've just over paid. He does have amazing strength on the ball though. Players that were a waste of money were Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, Pogba.

To be honest they could have just got Griezmann. That's what united need a world class striker and a holding midfielder to replace Carrick.

But as you have said and I agree aswell manager change is needed.

Quick Reply: Man United Thread 2016-2017