Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi RS3 2.5TFSI EVO - new owner thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2019, 03:15 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-sub
All the drug dealers have the hatch around here.
They do all seem to be driven by a certain sort and all driven very aggressively in built up areas. I gather it's a top choice for thieves as well. Shame really as it does seem like a good car in its segment.
Old 03 June 2019, 03:42 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

What has the quality of the car got to do with the people that drive them?
silly post
Old 03 June 2019, 04:30 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I see many RS3's around, and even more Golf R's these days.
Most of the R's would appear to have exhaust mods, making them nothing more than a nuisance
Old 03 June 2019, 05:16 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
What has the quality of the car got to do with the people that drive them?
silly post

I may well be a silly billy but I'm not sure what your point is. I never said that the quality of a car has anything to do with the people that drive them. I made two separate observations

1) It seems like a really nice car

2) Most of the ones I've seen have been driven over aggressively and by a certain sort.
Old 14 June 2019, 06:35 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
They do all seem to be driven by a certain sort and all driven very aggressively in built up areas. I gather it's a top choice for thieves as well. Shame really as it does seem like a good car in its segment.
I have this point reinforced tonight by two Golf R's at differing points on my journey, both driven by two apparent *********, both wearing baseball caps.
Both clearly with extreme exhaust modifications.
Both ********* seems to take great delight in accelerating aggressively in low gears, continually performing up shifts and downshifts.
Old 19 June 2019, 07:45 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Potentially looking at one to replace the 140i

Click image for larger version

Name:	NE43yju.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	73310
Old 20 June 2019, 04:35 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a prefl 8V and am currently in two minds whether to get rid of it or not.
As my daily it has pros and cons, all imo of course - tried to give those looking at buying one an honest summary of my thoughts below. Not looking for arguments, just my opinion, feel free to disagree!
For me, it's a practical car with a lot of point and squirt ability; more soul than an S3 or Golf R, but I have found myself missing my old C63 and considering jumping back into one...
Thing is, there are still plenty of positives and the sensible head is saying to keep it and tinker a bit to make it a little more fun.
If you don't have access to another vehicle in winter weather, it's definitely a good candidate to consider, but I would go straight to 8V and potentially even the FL if you can afford it.

Pros
- (part time) all wheel drive means you can get away pretty lairly without much hassle at all
- Interior is nice, although not a huge step up from say a Golf R; it's not as nice as an C63 AMG, but given the price you'd almost expect a bit more
- Plenty of torque available from low down and throughout the rev range; a stage 1 map alone will liberate over 400bhp and is more than enough for a road car on our crowded streets!
- Practical in sportback form; I'd recommend going for the dynamic pack with the mag ride and sports exhaust as the standard ride on 19's is a little firmer than I wanted.
- When it's on full chat the engine sounds great without any fake noise piped in
- Far better ride and performance than the old 8P shape, although in comfort the suspension can be almost a little bouncy at lower speeds
- Running costs (outside of servicing) - £300 VED for the year isn't bad for this level of performance on a car this new, and it'll happily do over 300 miles on a full tank on longer journeys; still returned 20mpg after thrashing it home this week (my C63 would have been about 14mpg lol)
- Good amount of room in the back for passengers
- Seats fold down and you can fit a pair of Impreza bumpers in no issue at all with the passenger seat pushed forward

Cons
- The brakes. They squeal like a pig to embarrassing volume, and imo the car is woefully underbraked as standard if you plan to be a bit naughty from time to time.
I've fitted the two piece Reyland motorsport conversion to mine with uprated pads which has made it better, but still not as good as I'd like. Fluid is next.
Apparently this still isn't fixed in the Facelift from what I read on the owners forum; there's a huge thread on it.
- Understeer - if you're in a long sweeping bend it's superb and feels glued to the road, but throw it into a roundabout and keep your foot in, and the front washes out and it runs wide.
I think some of this is due to the Pirelli P zeros on the car which I really don't like at all, so will try some Michelins, and possibly a bigger rear ARB might help too.
From what reviews say, the facelifted car fixes a lot of this with the weight savings applied to the newer engine.
- Gearbox - most of the time it's good but occasionally especially in dynamic it gets confused when you want it to change down and it pauses for a few seconds to have a think, which is less than ideal!
- Servicing cost - is ridiculous for a car that shares many of its parts with VW. Hubs have VW stamped on them for example. A major service including gearbox oil change was £825. That's approx the same as a major on a v8 C63 yet for me the hardware isn't as sturdy.
- Steering wheel paddles are ridiculously tiny width and height wise unless you have Peter Shilton hands - I've fitted paddle extensions to mine. Why they skimped on such a simple thing is beyond me.
- The music / nav menu system is bloody awful, worst I've had in a German car. The layout looks pretty, but functionally when you're driving the ***** and switches aren't really in intuitive places.
- Seats aren't very heavily bolstered; they're not terrible by any means but a little more would make it handy when you want to give it a thrashing
- Boot is tiny, you won't fit a pushchair or stroller in it unless you remove the wheels
- Strange one - but it just doesn't feel "special" enough for the money you pay; I don't get out grinning like I used to with my Merc.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 21 June 2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 21 June 2019, 12:24 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks MrNoisy, very informative review,
Old 22 June 2019, 08:11 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
I've got a prefl 8V and am currently in two minds whether to get rid of it or not.
As my daily it has pros and cons, all imo of course - tried to give those looking at buying one an honest summary of my thoughts below. Not looking for arguments, just my opinion, feel free to disagree!
For me, it's a practical car with a lot of point and squirt ability; more soul than an S3 or Golf R, but I have found myself missing my old C63 and considering jumping back into one...
Thing is, there are still plenty of positives and the sensible head is saying to keep it and tinker a bit to make it a little more fun.
If you don't have access to another vehicle in winter weather, it's definitely a good candidate to consider, but I would go straight to 8V and potentially even the FL if you can afford it.

Pros
- (part time) all wheel drive means you can get away pretty lairly without much hassle at all
- Interior is nice, although not a huge step up from say a Golf R; it's not as nice as an C63 AMG, but given the price you'd almost expect a bit more
- Plenty of torque available from low down and throughout the rev range; a stage 1 map alone will liberate over 400bhp and is more than enough for a road car on our crowded streets!
- Practical in sportback form; I'd recommend going for the dynamic pack with the mag ride and sports exhaust as the standard ride on 19's is a little firmer than I wanted.
- When it's on full chat the engine sounds great without any fake noise piped in
- Far better ride and performance than the old 8P shape, although in comfort the suspension can be almost a little bouncy at lower speeds
- Running costs (outside of servicing) - £300 VED for the year isn't bad for this level of performance on a car this new, and it'll happily do over 300 miles on a full tank on longer journeys; still returned 20mpg after thrashing it home this week (my C63 would have been about 14mpg lol)
- Good amount of room in the back for passengers
- Seats fold down and you can fit a pair of Impreza bumpers in no issue at all with the passenger seat pushed forward

Cons
- The brakes. They squeal like a pig to embarrassing volume, and imo the car is woefully underbraked as standard if you plan to be a bit naughty from time to time.
I've fitted the two piece Reyland motorsport conversion to mine with uprated pads which has made it better, but still not as good as I'd like. Fluid is next.
Apparently this still isn't fixed in the Facelift from what I read on the owners forum; there's a huge thread on it.
- Understeer - if you're in a long sweeping bend it's superb and feels glued to the road, but throw it into a roundabout and keep your foot in, and the front washes out and it runs wide.
I think some of this is due to the Pirelli P zeros on the car which I really don't like at all, so will try some Michelins, and possibly a bigger rear ARB might help too.
From what reviews say, the facelifted car fixes a lot of this with the weight savings applied to the newer engine.
- Gearbox - most of the time it's good but occasionally especially in dynamic it gets confused when you want it to change down and it pauses for a few seconds to have a think, which is less than ideal!
- Servicing cost - is ridiculous for a car that shares many of its parts with VW. Hubs have VW stamped on them for example. A major service including gearbox oil change was £825. That's approx the same as a major on a v8 C63 yet for me the hardware isn't as sturdy.
- Steering wheel paddles are ridiculously tiny width and height wise unless you have Peter Shilton hands - I've fitted paddle extensions to mine. Why they skimped on such a simple thing is beyond me.
- The music / nav menu system is bloody awful, worst I've had in a German car. The layout looks pretty, but functionally when you're driving the ***** and switches aren't really in intuitive places.
- Seats aren't very heavily bolstered; they're not terrible by any means but a little more would make it handy when you want to give it a thrashing
- Boot is tiny, you won't fit a pushchair or stroller in it unless you remove the wheels
- Strange one - but it just doesn't feel "special" enough for the money you pay; I don't get out grinning like I used to with my Merc.
Any downsides are quickly overcome with the 5cyl engine. It's a peach and one of the best engines in modern day affordable cars imo and really what this car is all about.

If all else fails strap a GTX3582 to it..... that makes it quite special.
Old 22 June 2019, 08:12 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by banny sti
Potentially looking at one to replace the 140i

Buy it! They're mental and you're one for tuning...... and these things tune very easily!
Old 22 June 2019, 10:44 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun
Any downsides are quickly overcome with the 5cyl engine. It's a peach and one of the best engines in modern day affordable cars imo and really what this car is all about.

If all else fails strap a GTX3582 to it..... that makes it quite special.
I agree the engine is brilliant, it’s just a shame they didn’t spend just a little more time on the handling to make it more than just a point and squirt car.
Trouble is it’s that “point and squirt” ability which encourages you to drive it like a tit but I’ve found on a couple of occasions having a play with a mate on his Ducati the brakes aren’t necessarily up to the job of scrubbing off the speed from the higher echelons which is what troubles me.
Can’t remember did you say you’re still on the OEM stuff?

Last edited by MrNoisy; 22 June 2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 23 June 2019, 02:39 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Currently yes..... will swap out for the AP’s though.