Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ESL 'safe' mode

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iain710 View Post
I feel your pain Ash
ive also got a boost issue...not as bad as yours though..
mine boosted to 1.2 bar now will only hit 1 bar..not much I know but fuel consumption has gone through the roof..
ive done a fault read....nothing,cleaned out the bcs,still the same,systematically replaced vacuum hoses etc..still the same.
replaced the knock sensor all to no avail...
have you actually datalogged your car to see what's happening? With the drop in fuel economy it's possibly a boost leak somewhere (smoke and pressure test needed) or maybe even a dodgy MAF sensor causing the car to overread (confirm AFR's with a wideband), or a dodgy fuel reg (again, wideband will show what the true AFR is). Lots of things it might be that can be narrowed down with a little work put in rather than blindly throwing parts at it because some guy somewheres next door neighbors mate was walking his dog and he was chatting to a guy in the shop that had a fiesta one time did something similar and he replaced his aircon switch and it was mint.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod View Post
to me that kinda looks like B136 pin #4 which is indeed the knock sensor signal. However if you've ran a fresh wire you shouldn't have the old wire still connected, the new wire should be properly crimped and pinned directly into the the ECU with the shielding properly terminated. If the old wire is grounding out somewhere then you'll get all kinds of havoc going on.
so the guy has just spliced the new one onto the old one rather than do a proper connection and **** knows where this yellow wire is going?

should I go demand my money back?
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash Webster View Post
so the guy has just spliced the new one onto the old one rather than do a proper connection and **** knows where this yellow wire is going?

should I go demand my money back?
that's something you'd have to talk to him about, what was discussed with you when you gave him instructions on what to do? Maybe he can offer to put it right for you and everyone can go on their happy way?
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

He told me he’d done proper connections both ends and it was all sorted new connector blocks the lot obviously me being me just took his word for it.

am I ok to cut the yellow wire behind the splice ? It’s going nowhere right?
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Just cut the wire to the ecu and no change in cyclical knock count still rising to 256 constantly
How do I fix this now? Is it a shielded wire job or a new ecu job? Or both?

How does the shielded wire work? How is it supposed to be grounded?
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

From memory the green and white block in your pic are the grounds,the sensor ground is pin 13 b136 which is the same pin as your knock sensor shield pin.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
iain710
Scooby Regular

I haven't got the software or lead to look.....
it was originally mapped by jgm before he passed away in 2014
its been absolutely fine up until a couple of weeks ago...
the reason I've replaced the vacuum lines is because it all started after replacing a leaky header tank.....
a few brittle,20 year old hoses behind it...
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 View Post
From memory the green and white block in your pic are the grounds,the sensor ground is pin 13 b136 which is the same pin as your knock sensor shield pin.
Sorry if im asking too many questions but there is a blue wire coming from that b136 13 pin but no idea where it is going to.. is that redundant now Iíve pulled out all the knock sensor wiring ?

how should I tell an auto elec to wire it cos Iím mega confused with all this shielded grounding etc
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Yeh I'm not brilliant at electrics but that's a poor job,give him the pinout and he should know what he's doing,if not take it to someone who does.