View Single Post
Old 26 July 2008, 12:39 PM
Viz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution !

I have found a local engineering firm in Biggin Hill, Kent that not only use helicoils in cars but in aircraft as well racing cars and have been doing their thing for 60+ years.
I discussed the pros and cons (tensile strength, pemanancy of helicoils, time-serts, alternatives, etc) with the owner and given that he has done the same on his Brembos for the same reason, I'm convinced that Helicoil are they way to go. Cost wise, we are talking about £20/ for a 1 off or a deal on more sounds the least hassle route to take as they are just up the road, furthermore I have used these guys in the past to skim heads, re-grind valve seats, etc and the quality of their workmanship is extremely good, they know their stuff.

One last point, I mentioned that the Brembo bolts were M10 x 1.5 pitch, I was wrong , having paid a small fortune for OE bolts today, and I can now clear this up, they are in fact M12 x 1.5 pitch by 45mm overall length of which the head is 8mm, the thread is 37mm and only the last 30mm of the thread is threaded. OE part number is; 901120103 for my STI type UK MY02, label says "Bolt Assy 12x37".

Once again thanks to all for the advice, opinions & guidance.

Viz

P.S - Not sure if I can publicise the phone number/ company so PM me if anyone wants details.