View Single Post
Old 12 May 2006, 02:35 PM
oik
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo
LOL

Section 1 c) states "any dog of any type designated for the purposes of this section by an order of the Secretary of State, being a type appearing to him to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose."

My point stands. The dangerous dogs act was introduced as a knee jerk reaction to public concerns about pit bull terriers. That is why pit bulls are specifically mentioned, and why breeds such as Rotties, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Staffies, etc, etc, etc, are not subject to its restrictions any more than any other breed of dog.

You couldn't resist replying though, could you - your ego precludes your acceptance of your innaccuracies

My objectivity has never been in question, oik, in that I've never made any secret of the fact that I value animal life at least on an equal basis with that of humans

This is a discussion forum. For discussion to have any relevance, there have to be opposing point of views.

"Fan club"...lol...how pathetic to even comment about such matters in the context of a bbs, let alone obtain amusement and satisfaction from the mere thought that people actually give a toss
Seeing as you have appointed yourself the Scoobynet 'Dog Whisperer', I would be interested in your vast knowledge and experience.

A couple of weeks back I read a court case with regard to a Staffordshire Bull Terrier entering the house of an elderly woman and eating her Yorkshire Terrier.

Now, at this point, I would expect you to be smirking ... well it matters not, that is your business.

What I am more interested in here is the psychology and 'primary means of communication' involved, along with where the blame lies.

The dog managed to escape the owners property due to a gate being left open, the owner was unaware and had taken all reasonable precautions to prevent the dog leaving the premises, it left, unknown to the owner.

It entered an elderly womans house and confronted the Yorkshire Terrier.

The owner of the Bull Terrier was aghast, stating that it was completely 'out of character', that it had never shown this kind of potential and was 'great with children', and pleaded for leniency.

1. What happened to the dog on dog communication process? Did the Bull Terrier, in true 'Tweety Pie and Sylvester' fashion simply see a yorkshire terrier in the form of a steaming yummy pie and decide to eat it? Was the unfortunate Yorkshire Terrier simply not persuasive enough ... 'No, please I know you have a bad rep but I like you guys, please don't eat me!'

2. The elderly woman entered the room to see her dog part eaten and attempted to intervene, naturally she was also attacked and hospitalised, presumably because she too lacked the necessary 'dog whispering' skills.

3. Owner. Is the owner the reason the Bull Terrier ate the Yorkshire Terrier?

I am afraid this animal was not exempt from the dangerous dogs act, either ... and as such was destroyed, thankfully