Old 08 June 2017, 04:17 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blood, sweat and swearing.

I've just fitted a cdf racing short shift lever I picked up cheaply from the for sale board. It was remarkably hard work.

Everything began very well. Removing the trim from around the gear lever takes seconds, and levering out the old unit required minimal effort.

This is where it all went wrong. From web based research I knew it was going to take some effort to get the lever back in the plastic cup, but nothing I tried worked.
In the end to fit the damm thing I put the new lever in the freezer to chill and used this combination:
Not normally used to mod cars.

Which worked. It was a calculated risk. I already had a spare white cup and with no gear lever my car wasn't going anywhere.

The bushes used by cdf are a lot wider than oem so require some persuasion to fit. When Trying to get everything in place I noticed there were red drips on everything. It turns out some of the metalwork is quite sharp.

​​But it went together in the end:

This was a proper nightmare of a job. I should have hired a ramp, so I could access the white cup from underneath.
But the gear throw is now really, really short and precise. It's going to take some getting used to...

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 08 June 2017 at 04:34 PM.