Notices

is there a "keyless entry" type of alarm/engine immobiliser system?

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2011, 08:37 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a "keyless entry" type of alarm/engine immobiliser system?

basically if the keyfob (which you obviously wouldn't leave on your car keys!) gets out of range of a transmitter, it switches off/immobilises the engine, blares the alarm and releases chloroform into the car!

something like the "blackjax" system i've read about but without the incovienence of entering in a pin everytime you open your door etc. as long as both bits are in range of each other, the system is considered disarmed.

it'd need to be short range, something like half a meter of range around the car at most and if it's not, then it wouldn't even start in the first place.

is there anything like this that can be fitted to a classic scooby, or am i expecting too much? (okay maybe the automatic chloroform release is a tad bit unrealistic..)

i mean, the tech must be out there as isn't that basically how keyless entry/ignition systems work?
Old 07 December 2011, 11:38 AM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

I'm sure i saw something like this years ago with the idea being you had the keyring on your keys, people used to have them on their belt loops instead, all good and well till you put it through the wash... lol

Blackjax takes no time to enter the pin at all really and how often do you open the drivers door while the engine is running? It also has the advantage that the thief will then be a few hundred yards up the road instead of half a meter away, this is especially handy when they then think demanding you make it restart with what ever their choice weapon was is a good idea...
Old 07 December 2011, 05:35 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

that sounds exactly what i'm after!

i wouldnt mind entering it in everytime using blackjax, *if* it was a keypad but as far as i know its a fiddly 2 button affair which i'm not too fond of.

i've heard it can work as a standalone install but also those installs seem problematic. replacing it with an alarm that has it intergrated would be nice and assume it will work well but cost rises a bit with a whole new system.

Last edited by lanceuppercut; 07 December 2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07 December 2011, 05:47 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

2 buttons... Yes, far from fiddly though, one button you hit as many times as you need for your number eg (2 presses for number 2) and the other button is used for enter, the actual pin can be what ever you like, and any length from 1-4 digits, so it really could be '1' if you wanted it to be, requiring one press of each button...

Time taken to enter my pin is probably less than 2 seconds and you can even do it once you've driven off
Old 07 December 2011, 06:03 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

do you have a system that has it intergrated or a standalone system?

what happens if you're in your car ready to drive off, one of your passengers opens the door for whatever reason then closes it quickly and then you drive off.

is there any sort of step/warning sign before the alarm starts blaring and engine cuts off? i can see it ending up as some sort of annoyance.

i still think the range based automatic "disarm" is a system i'd prefer over entering a code in. do you happen to remember what it was called? its not an easy thing to try and google!
Old 08 December 2011, 08:02 AM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lanceuppercut
do you have a system that has it intergrated or a standalone system?
Standalone, it can also be integrated into the factory alarm with a bit of work

what happens if you're in your car ready to drive off, one of your passengers opens the door for whatever reason then closes it quickly and then you drive off.
It should be wired into the drivers door only.

is there any sort of step/warning sign before the alarm starts blaring and engine cuts off? i can see it ending up as some sort of annoyance.
Yes, Flashing led and siren chirps as a reminder.

i still think the range based automatic "disarm" is a system i'd prefer over entering a code in. do you happen to remember what it was called? its not an easy thing to try and google!
I really am talking years ago, like mid to late 90's :s

THIS is not far off in terms of operation from what i can make out.
Old 08 December 2011, 08:03 AM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

The downside of anything automatic is it'll most likely become attached to the keys, which then makes taking the car just a case of taking the keys...
Old 08 December 2011, 09:31 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

ah right, wasn't aware it only arms on the drivers side only, that's not "as" bad i suppose..

that toad system seems perfect but from the description, it kind of implies that the transponder needs to be within inches of the receiver inside the ignition, which means realistically it needs to be attached to the car's keychain to be of any use, which is pointless.

i might have to do a bit of research on that toad system to see what else they have with a bit more range, as it seems promising..