Notices

Door locks now removed!

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2001, 07:37 PM
James Ross
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of you may remember my post some time ago about removing locks after some clown trashed my door lock and skin. Well I went ahead and got it done. Subaru dealer Dennis Common (Northumberland) did the job and a fine one at that. My 5 door turbo now has no door locks and the boot lock is gone too. They inserted blanking plates to replace the key aperture and welded plates beneath. The boot lid looks like it never had a lock on it!! and thats tricky when it's a silver one I believe. I now have a multilock too which in conjunction with cat1 immobiliser and alarm means that short of picking the thing up I hope it's a hard car to nick. If they manage to get it away now the B****rds can have it!

Cost me £950.00 quid but that includes multilock (£200.00ish), slight relocation of phone car-kit to acomodate the unit, removal of a couple of the usual door dents and the three door locks removed. Also includes the VAT for the self employed amongst us. Good job I love it or I'd buy a banger and be done with it.

Death to the thieves who can't buy their own. If anyone needs info on getting theirs done let me know. Can do photos but they'd hardly be interesting so I'll leave that to requests only.
Old 27 February 2001, 10:07 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

What do you do if your alarm wont unlock the doors?

Old 27 February 2001, 10:26 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it should have a ground out switch somewhere that only the driver knows where. so that if the alarm fails you flip the switch and the doors unlock
Old 27 February 2001, 11:43 PM
James Ross
Scooby Newbie

Everyone to whom I have mentioned this mod. has asked me the same question. My view is that after ten years of blipping remotes on various car alarms I have yet to have a day when the thing fails. Even when the battery gets low you can usually tell by the proximity of yourself to the car before it activates/deactivates the alarm whether power is running low. All in all, there has to be a trade off somewhere. If it's me that has to break the window (s**t, security tint!!) then so be it. Prefer that to £400.00 worth of door and lock damage. Be interested to know how many people have had a PROFESSIONALY fitted alarm fail. Lets face it, if your alarm fails and you still have door locks then you may be able to get INTO the car but if it's a decent alarm you as the owner still can't start it and it's unlikely if it's a decent alarm that you can disarm it quickly. Think I'll take the gamble which I believe to be a small one in comparison to the amount of times we've all had locks savaged. Thoughts anyone?
Old 28 February 2001, 09:38 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sounds great - is it legal / mot proof?
Old 28 February 2001, 09:35 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

<B>Thoughts on remotes</B>

In my trade (actually a watch repairer) I see a large number of car remotes which have just "run out of batteries" unfortunately over half of these are not caused by battery failure.

I hope you don't have that problem, but also consider that a lot of people have problems with remote opening when near radio transmitters or near hospitals (something to do with transmitters again).
Old 03 March 2001, 11:55 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you remove the door handles as well or just the locks?