Notices

New Single Button Key

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2019, 12:38 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default New Single Button Key

My 2003 blobeye impreza wrx only came with one key. It's the single-button key, not the one with the separate fob.

I've got the original books for the keypad for the car. Can I simply buy a working 2nd hand key of the same type, get a new blade cut to match my existing key, and then program it to my car using the keypad?
Old 19 January 2019, 02:09 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

If you have a working key or the PIN code for the alarm keypad you can program a "new" key for the sigma alarm side of things.
You have the additional problem in that the key also has a transponder chip in it for the OEM immobiliser circuitry which would need to be programmed to the immobiliser using EcuTek or Subaru Select Monitor software or have the chip replaced with one cloned to your working key.
Old 19 January 2019, 02:10 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Using the keypad you can only code the button part of your alarm (the sigma part) the chip inside the key will need to be coded to the car using SSM.
If you buy a second hand key you will also have to source a new uncoded chip as the second hand one will be coded to the old car and is not able to be coded to another car. (Hope that makes sense)
Old 19 January 2019, 02:11 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Lol...happend to me again, someone beat me to the answer whilst i was writing !
Old 19 January 2019, 03:44 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

A Subaru dealer quoted me £300 for a new key all coded etc. Can anyone recommend any cheaper options that still result in a working OEM key?

Could see what they charge to just code the immobiliser with new chip in a second hand key that i get cut elsewhere and then programme to the alarm myself but might not work out much cheaper in the end.

Is there anywhere you can buy new immobiliser chips or get them cloned?

Last edited by RetroPug; 19 January 2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 18 February 2019, 09:30 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Coming back to this again:

Could I buy a 2nd hand single fob key, get the blade cut by somewhere eg. timpsons, pair it to my alarm myself using the keypad (I have the original booklet with a pincard etc. which I assume is the correct PIN)?

The only thing left to do then would be to get a new, uncoded chip and get it programmed. Are these available? Is it dealer-only or could a key programming company do this for me with this type of key?
Old 18 February 2019, 09:00 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroPug
Coming back to this again:

Could I buy a 2nd hand single fob key, get the blade cut by somewhere eg. timpsons, pair it to my alarm myself using the keypad (I have the original booklet with a pincard etc. which I assume is the correct PIN)?

The only thing left to do then would be to get a new, uncoded chip and get it programmed. Are these available? Is it dealer-only or could a key programming company do this for me with this type of key?

If you can wait a few weeks I should be able to provide replacements for the single button keys.

Book of faces - Subaru Replacement Key Services 👍
The following users liked this post:
Old 19 February 2019, 06:33 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Muzza80

If you can wait a few weeks I should be able to provide replacements for the single button keys.

Book of faces - Subaru Replacement Key Services 👍
What would you supply? OE keys fully coded to the vehicle? Or aftermarket keys?

You're pretty far away!
Old 19 February 2019, 06:40 PM
mjp02wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're pretty far away!
There are a few places in leicester that advertise they can programme keys, never used them but Netherhall motors on uppingham rd, and next lvl dodgy is a dude on Beaumont leys market
Old 19 February 2019, 07:02 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

You're pretty far away!
Did you have a look at my page?
It’s all on there, they’re aftermarket OEM quality flip keys, fully cut, immobiliser and remote programmed to your vehicle at less than 1/3 of what you’d pay Subaru for an original key.

I offer a 24 hour turn around postal service if you’re not local 👍

Last edited by Muzza80; 19 February 2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 21 February 2019, 09:49 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

I've had a look now.

I've got one single button key that's quite tatty in appearance. At the end of this I'd like to have two of the same, single-button OEM Subaru key. It appears from your page that you supply aftermarket fobs which look good but it's not what I'm after I'm afraid. I appreciate the offer.

I'm trying to establish if there's a way of achieving the above without spending as much as £300.
Old 21 February 2019, 11:00 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

I've had a look now.

I've got one single button key that's quite tatty in appearance. At the end of this I'd like to have two of the same, single-button OEM Subaru key. It appears from your page that you supply aftermarket fobs which look good but it's not what I'm after I'm afraid. I appreciate the offer.

I'm trying to establish if there's a way of achieving the above without spending as much as £300.
No worries at all.

if you we’re not already aware, when you buy a new single button “Subaru” key from the dealer you’re actually paying for a perfectly good Subaru two button key, and on top of that a conversion kit supplied to Subaru by Sigma (which costs then less than £4 to produce, yet you pay another £50 for). Your dealer then takes your genuine Subaru two button key (which you’ve just paid well over £200 for), opens it up, pulls out the genuine Subaru circuit board and two button membrane, slices off one of the buttons with a knife and then chucks the circuit board and the genuine front key half straight in the bin. They then fit the £4 Sigma circuit board/plastic facia to the remains of the original key.

Thats why they’re so expensive.

ive never heard of a dealer charging less than £250 + VAT for the pleasure, but you may have more luck.

P.S, you can’t get a new blade for a used Subaru key, the blade is moulded into the lower case half, can’t be removed/replaced.

👍

Last edited by Muzza80; 21 February 2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 22 February 2019, 08:45 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the information.

I'm guessing my options outside the dealer are limited then if I want an OE key. I'd be fine with an OE key with aftermarket internals but the integral blade does sound like it makes things difficult. Can you think of any way to achieve that without going through the dealer network?
Old 05 March 2019, 09:11 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

FYI I can now offer fully programmed OEM quality flip key replacements for the single button Subaru/Sigma keys/fobs up to 2008 as well as the two button variants.

www.facebook.com/jdmsubarukeys
Old 06 March 2019, 12:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I've had a look now.

not a genuine oem key through the dealership, its a proper con given the actual costs of them.
Old 10 November 2019, 04:55 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

If I bought a new, genuine sigma fob:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Si...1218%7Ciid%3A1

Would this unlock the car, disarm the alarm and turn off the immobiliser? Once coded to the car by Subaru obviously.

Or, would it only disarm the alarm?

I still only have one key, and it works fine most of the time, except in one car park it almost never works and it takes ages to try to unlock/lock the car. From reading other threads it seems like interference. I replaced the battery, and the car's 12v battery is relatively new (but I'll check and clean up the terminals anyway).
Old 19 November 2019, 01:30 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Bump. Nobody knows?
Old 19 November 2019, 01:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

there's two types and cant remember if that's the right one.

O also once you do get the right one you can code the new fob to the car wthout needing to pay someone to do it.
Old 19 November 2019, 01:57 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

If I bought a new, genuine sigma fob:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Si...1218%7Ciid%3A1

Would this unlock the car, disarm the alarm and turn off the immobiliser? Once coded to the car by Subaru obviously.

Or, would it only disarm the alarm?

I still only have one key, and it works fine most of the time, except in one car park it almost never works and it takes ages to try to unlock/lock the car. From reading other threads it seems like interference. I replaced the battery, and the car's 12v battery is relatively new (but I'll check and clean up the terminals anyway).
Two things
1) The key has a transponder chip in it that "communicates" with the Subaru OEM immobiliser unit and ECU to immobilise the car if you try and start the car without the correct key/ transponder.

2) The Sigma alarm is both an alarm and an "add on" two circuit immobiliser, of which the very early units (pre-2001) suffer from Radio Lockout near Tetra masts. The single button keys are originally the standard 2 button variety that are converted with a different pcb and cover to 1 button which incorporates the circuitry of the originally separate Sigma radio fob.

If you have a working radio key and/or know the Sigma PIN code then you can code additional keys/fobs to the unit (max number 4??)
If you have a working radio key and don't know the PIN , you can change it.
Yes, a new radio fob will "unlock the car, disarm the alarm and turn off the immobiliser" but only the Sigma immobiliser circuits. You still need a transponder equipped key to satisfy the Subaru immobiliser.
Old 18 May 2023, 10:49 AM
gsewell_uk
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you still do keys???

No worries at all.

if you we’re not already aware, when you buy a new single button “Subaru” key from the dealer you’re actually paying for a perfectly good Subaru two button key, and on top of that a conversion kit supplied to Subaru by Sigma (which costs then less than £4 to produce, yet you pay another £50 for). Your dealer then takes your genuine Subaru two button key (which you’ve just paid well over £200 for), opens it up, pulls out the genuine Subaru circuit board and two button membrane, slices off one of the buttons with a knife and then chucks the circuit board and the genuine front key half straight in the bin. They then fit the £4 Sigma circuit board/plastic facia to the remains of the original key.

Thats why they’re so expensive.

ive never heard of a dealer charging less than £250 + VAT for the pleasure, but you may have more luck.

P.S, you can’t get a new blade for a used Subaru key, the blade is moulded into the lower case half, can’t be removed/replaced.

👍
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this thread but do you still do new Subaru keys for a 2003 WRX blobeye?

Cheers

Graham
Old 18 May 2023, 12:17 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gsewell_uk
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this thread but do you still do new Subaru keys for a 2003 WRX blobeye?

Cheers

Graham
think no but other member immotec could sort You out with similar service
Old 14 October 2023, 02:11 PM
Pondman
Scooby Newbie

FYI I can now offer fully programmed OEM quality flip key replacements for the single button Subaru/Sigma keys/fobs up to 2008 as well as the two button variants.

www.facebook.com/jdmsubarukeys
Hi there, are you still offering this service?
I’d like two flip key conversions and a second sigma fob if that’s possible?
Thanks 👍🏻
Old 14 October 2023, 08:08 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondman
Hi there, are you still offering this service?
I’d like two flip key conversions and a second sigma fob if that’s possible?
Thanks 👍🏻
ask immotec, same service
Old 18 October 2023, 12:29 AM
gsewell_uk
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brilliant service from Immotec

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
think no but other member immotec could sort You out with similar service
After a quick google on immotec, I gave them a call and next day was rewarded with a new VW based flip bladed key for my blobeye. As an added bonus, I had previously bought a spare key from eBay that LUCKILY had more metal along the blade than my original keys and so could be cut to fit like a blank key and then have the immobilser replaced. So after reprogramming the alarm I now have a brand new flip blade key for daily use, a little used original key and two original (very tatty) spares. After the club discount, I am absolutely thrilled by this level of service and would wholeheartedly recomment immotec to any Scooby owner.

Last edited by gsewell_uk; 18 October 2023 at 12:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 21 October 2023, 07:46 PM
Pondman
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by gsewell_uk
After a quick google on immotec, I gave them a call and next day was rewarded with a new VW based flip bladed key for my blobeye. As an added bonus, I had previously bought a spare key from eBay that LUCKILY had more metal along the blade than my original keys and so could be cut to fit like a blank key and then have the immobilser replaced. So after reprogramming the alarm I now have a brand new flip blade key for daily use, a little used original key and two original (very tatty) spares. After the club discount, I am absolutely thrilled by this level of service and would wholeheartedly recomment immotec to any Scooby owner.
Managed to get a pair of keys don’t through Murray (Muzza80) through his Facebook link as above