Notices

Knockhill Trackday

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2002, 04:12 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Big thumbs up to John as usual. Bernie Ecclestone better watch out, there's a new dog in town.

A big thank you for the MLR allocation and allowing us to play.

Only downside was that I didn't get out today, as the weather and track were tiptop' with some nice machinery on show. *******, Noble sounded the bizz with wastegates fluttering.
Good to see some old faces again...well there no getting any younger.

...John
Old 17 March 2002, 05:49 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep, it was a good day out I don't know where we were, the track looked like Knockhill but it was dry and sunny

Will put up some picts later once I get a chance to download the 196 I took
Old 17 March 2002, 06:16 PM
wullie-g
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

great day out didnt go on the track but good watching some of the mad p1 drivers / john s you should get a stall selling sidc stuff you could make a mint. yours wullie-g
Old 17 March 2002, 08:25 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Magic day, best Knockhill I've had - track in good condition and reasonable tyres on my motor. Thanks JohnS

(I'm Silver 5dr+green scoop - hint, hint Robertio )

[Edited by Miles - 3/17/2002 8:26:28 PM]
Old 17 March 2002, 08:27 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

nice one

garry
Old 17 March 2002, 09:23 PM
Stev
Scooby Regular

I was at KH today for the SMRC marshals training today and could not believe the sun was shining, as the weather is usually crap on our training days. Come to think of it is crap most of the time, but here is hoping that we have good weather for the race season ahead.

I stayed around for a while after the training finished and enjoyed watching the Scoobs (and the various other high performance cars) on the track. From what I saw most of the driving was of a high standard and I was impressed with the discipline shown by all the drivers.
I have always been a bit unsure about taking my pride and joy out onto the track, but I kinda wished I could have taken my own Scoob out, for a wee blast this afternoon.

Thanks for bringing the sunshine with you and I hope a SIDC track day is organised on the same day as the SMRC training next year. It makes our day much more interesting.

Stev
Old 17 March 2002, 11:22 PM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

Talking

Excellent day

Big thanks to John S. & helpers for putting together another track day to remember.Good to see everyone again.

We missed out on a bit of track time in the morning, managed to burn through a set of mintex pads by 11am.So mad dash back to Perth with pads on metal, pitstop at AWD & new pads fitted in record time.A quick top up of fuel on the way back, and some bedding in of the new pads & we were back on circuit at 1.00

The afternoon sessions were superb, car was pulling really stong and brakes and tyres coped well with the pace.As the circuit got quieter, Karen got behind the wheel for a few laps....she's still grinning

Early start...but well worth it

Dave
Old 17 March 2002, 11:31 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Dave, now you admit to being able to change them in record time I gather the fitting cost will go down
Old 18 March 2002, 12:01 AM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Only up today for 30 minutes with the wife and kid in tow. Her first intro to the Scooby gang. I almost had a heart attack when speaking to MAXY thought you were going to bring up the cost of all my ICE and I saw my life flash in front of me.
Now Dave Reid was a true pro never even mentioned the cost of all my new STI add ons that she does not know about hehe.
God I miss my Scooby, the road to Knockhill in a Rover 400 is not the same. Never mind it looked a great day for all you drivers lucky bar stewards.
John if that was your STI 7 it looked the dogs danglies, sory I missed you cos would love to have had a chat about it. Next time

Dave Allan
Old 18 March 2002, 08:13 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

big thanks to JohnS for another brilliant day.

also thanks to john banks for giving me a shot of his PPP ECU.it's amazing what a few pounds of boost do ,allegedly my lap times got slower,although I was faster up the straights I was slower through the corners as I could hold the drift for twice as long .it's also the first day that I have ever needed a fuel stop half way through.
Old 18 March 2002, 10:23 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you guys had a great day! - I'm sorry I missed it.

When's the next one?

Rich
Old 18 March 2002, 11:57 AM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

STOP PRESS > T-uk uses Bridgestone brakes !! Lots of sideways action Thanks for reminding me what it's like John
Old 18 March 2002, 02:59 PM
JohnS

Cool

Thanks guys.

Next one booked for the 20th June, evening session from 6pm - 8pm. £35 for open pit lane access. Book online now at http://shop.sidc.co.uk

Edited to correct the date. The one planned for the 11th May was re-scheduled due to a clash in dates.

John

[Edited by JohnS - 3/19/2002 2:30:49 PM]
Old 18 March 2002, 04:13 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

T-uk

Were you in the blue Scooby, that came across and spoke to me?

You were in front of me a couple of times, and obviously enjoying yourself with some great tyre squeeling and sideways action.

tut (N1 TUT)
Old 18 March 2002, 08:03 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Miles, hopefully you are now on: Knockhill Pictures Thread if not, then I suspect you didn't spend enough time on track (couldn't tell in the picts if any of the silver 5drs had green scoops )
Old 18 March 2002, 08:23 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Robertio, i'm in your 2nd last piccy being overtaken on the straight
Old 18 March 2002, 10:28 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Dave
What ye doin usin the brakes
Managed to make mine last this time (Red stuff sh*te didnae even last the morning the last time I was on)
Doug

How long is a lap at Knockhill ?
Trying to work out how many laps i'd done
About 150 miles worth
Used 70 litres super (including 50 miles on the road to and from circuit)

Robertio
Any pics of Dirty Blue Metallic with black(ish) wheels

Old 18 March 2002, 10:47 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

Doogsy

1.1 miles per lap at Knockhill. I did 220 miles, so about 200 laps.

tut (N1 TUT)
Old 18 March 2002, 11:44 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

LOL at CC,the bridgestone brakes are unwarpable you know ,you should have come out when the fun really started with john's ECU .

tut,that was me.200 laps,no wonder you know how to drive the thing.I probably did not even do half that.the driving standard of everyone was great.I have been known to harass Lotus's in the past when loosing patience through the bends ,but not once did that happen yesterday.in fact when Sam and I were having a bit of fun I thought I might have been holding you up.as Sam had gained a bit of confidence by this time of the day and I was still not passed him after 3laps,I sided up to let you have a go at him.did you manage?hope you did,Sam hates getting overtaken .
Old 18 March 2002, 11:54 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

nah he did not

but i have decided i need to get a bit more straight line speed so i can avoid nutters like you and tut hunting me lap after lap .

sam
Old 19 March 2002, 11:03 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was surprising that you could not pull away with the PPP/Dawes at 17-18 PSI on the straights Sam. Obviously you got about a car length coming out of the corner with your fancy diffs/AYC, but after that it seemed that we could stick with you down the back and long straights. T-uk's gearchanges were good though I have to say. So yes you need more power to shake off hooligans like T-uk
Old 19 March 2002, 01:01 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

I know I say this every time, but that was one of the best days I've haad at knockhill. Great track manners displayed by everyone, and I don't think there was any real damage done, saving a bit of pride, following the few minor excursions off track that I did see.
(It's much easier to pass Sam when he's spun off!)

I'd just like to say thanks to all those involved in organising the day, and all those who made it along to make a great day out.

Thanks guys,

Alan

Sonic TypeRA T555***
Old 19 March 2002, 01:39 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Very true john B.
but to put things into prospective here, there was no car that was powerful enough that could overtake on the straights at will. what i mean, is the M12 could not get past me or the evo6, that is what i know about it. i would presume that it would not have been able to get past the p1 as well. however the M12 was clearely faster than any car around the bends.

i could have changed gears quicker but the gear box was really notchy to start with, not anymore though .

it was a great day, i have enjoyed it although i had a couple of problems that i won't bore you with.

and i do need some more straight line speed, so i can loose john and tut . but for a car straight out of the box i am amazed by the handling.

sam
Old 19 March 2002, 07:23 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Sam, I was amazed at the handling of your car too, even if you went into the corner too fast or off line,(not that you did ) the car just seemed to sort itself out. Even to the extent that when you tried to get it well sideways for the camera, it wouldn't let you
Unlike T-uk s car
Having been in both cars I can say that Sam's EVO was hampered by the gearshift and did not really show it's true colours. Sam was shifting fairly slowly, to the extent that I could feel the turbo lag between 3rd and 4th ! Presumably this was due to the notchieness he was having with the gears.
T-uk was keeping his much more 'on the boil' and losing less time on the straights.
T - Can I suggest you mount your bonnet scoop at a 45 degree angle for the next day I'm sure this will drop your charge temps
Old 19 March 2002, 11:16 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Fantastic day. You organised the weather very well John

Great to meet some of you again and some of you for the first time. As usual the Scottish hospitality was fantastic

I hope the ISDC can repay the favour when some of you come to Mondello Park this year. I'm sending the dates through to John S this week.

The Green Machine was going quite well and it was the first time I've ever ran on slicks and it was nothing short of amazing.
For a change my brakes held out and the day was uneventful and unlike the last time I didn't get a tour of the scottish countryside via duff's dip

Many thanks to all of you once again..........C U next time.

Paul McLoughlin.
Old 22 March 2002, 08:16 AM
tut
Scooby Regular

T-uk

Every time I tried, he blocked me<BG>

not really. Sam was always ahead of me out of the pits, or I waited on the track till he passed, then gave chase. Same as with Willie in the Noble, we were lapping at identical speeds, so whoever was in front, stayed in front, unless the other car deliberately lifted off.

Sam

Felt as if I had smoked a hundred **** the next day. Some fumes and flames that were coming out of that drainpipe.

Great day, and enjoyed driving with you all.

tut
Old 22 March 2002, 08:23 AM
tut
Scooby Regular

T-uk

Every time I tried, he blocked me<BG>

not really. Sam was always ahead of me out of the pits, or I waited on the track till he passed, then gave chase. Same as with Willie in the Noble, we were lapping at identical speeds, so whoever was in front, stayed in front, unless the other car deliberately lifted off.

Sam

Felt as if I had smoked a hundred **** the next day. Some fumes and flames that were coming out of that drainpipe.

Great day, and enjoyed driving with you all.

tut
Old 22 March 2002, 12:54 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

MAC POWER
that green subaru of yours was very impressive it looked very composed through the bends unlike t-uk

i must admit i have really enjoyed the little sport i had with john and tut, that was too many the highlight of the day as every time we went out we seemed to find each other on the track some how . but also i was thinkin about it hte other day and at some points i was lapping just about 2-3 fit of tut's car with john about the same off my car going through clarcks at 70-80 mph. we must be either nutters or have great trust in each other which one do you think ?

CC
thanks for the kind wards, the gear box is starting to feel better actually so it must be just needing run in. should be fine in acouple of months me think
do you remember that rattle that i was getting? do you know what it was, ? a loose camber bolts, yep they were that loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no wonder i could not get it slidding as i ws running excessive toe out in on wheel and excessive toe in on the other!!!!!!!!!!!!

and as for hte straight line speed lets just say i am working on it as we speak , so it should be a completely different beast next time that was just he beginning

tut
do you fance going to croft on the 6th of april?

sam
can't wait till the next track day.

[Edited by Sam Elassar - 3/22/2002 10:58:53 PM]
Old 22 March 2002, 03:03 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

I don't trust you Sam,more your car as I could see it was only going throught the corners at 75% of it's ability ,unlike me and tut
Old 23 March 2002, 01:32 AM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Thanks Sam, I think it was the slicks it was my first time to ever drive on track with slicks and it made all the difference. As the day went on I got more confident and did less braking and more acccelerating

I'm trying t put a few faces (or cars) with the names. What were you guys driving? I'm sure I will recognise some of the cars.

Paul.

Quick Reply: Knockhill Trackday