Notices

Exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 07:18 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Exhaust advice

alright guys. i've got the MY04 WRX, thinking of changing the exhaust system. have been on the blower to extreme motorsport up in whitburn, and will possibly get them to do the job. I know John(evojkp) has had some dealings with them, anyone else dealt with them, whats your opinions.

also another question guys - not actually had a chance to look at my existing system, but i believe, cat on downpipe/cat midsection. so if i get a full decat, new downpipe, mid section, rear box what kind of gains am i likely to get out of the car, will it be quite noticable(is it worth the dosh). also is it essential to get a remap along with this, and if i do not get the remap will i cause any damage to the engine(bang). i also believe there are sensors on the cats, what happens to them when the cat is removed. the systems they are supplying are magnex, is this a good choice.

help appreciated guys, looking to get this done within the next couple of months, i am not bothered about warranty or anything, just crave that extra power.

Paul

Last edited by keevster; 26 March 2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 26 March 2004, 10:12 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Paul,

I think on the downpipe it has a screwed fitting for the oxygen sensor (?). The replacement downpipe should have screwed hole so that it will fit in the new pipe.

I've read on here about needing a remap if a full decat. How valid this is I don't know, but I cannot imagine 'every' decat scoob on here having this done. I had a full Magnex decat on my Evo6, with no problems and sounded sweet.

Magnex is as good as the rest. As long as it's stainless steel, then it's down to preference. Personally I'd look at the Hayward&Scott, or vortex options.

Good thing about John and George at Extreme is if you can supply the bits cheaper, they will still fit for you. So maybe good to shop around to see if you can save a few bucks.

BTW, they are getting in a pukka geometery rig next week. Somewhere local to get the prodrive settings done, Hopefully get my car down before the next TM tracknight.
Old 27 March 2004, 12:50 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info john. when i spoke to john, he never mentioned about going down the remap route, he just stated that its best to start of with the full system. the reason why i was asking these questions is that i am thinking of safety to my engine. i will follow his advice as he seems fairly up to speed on what we were talking about. but just thought better to get a few unbiased opinions on here first. i have seen the afterburner vortex advertised it reads up as a fairly good system and good price, however i had the magnex on my CTR and i loved the sound of it. i was having a look at the prices john had quoted me for the system and there was no difference to what i would pay for it.
he was saying on the phone about the geo machine they are getting in, that will be the first thing i get done before the exhaust as the understeer on me car is doing my head in.

catch ye later
Paul
Old 27 March 2004, 12:56 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Paul/John,

I was in yesterday and the Geo machine is up and running. It is £40 for the check and £15 per adjustment - ie camber, etc.

Swifts/ Extreme are good.

I got my exhaust built by guys who really know what they are doing and for superb prices, built to your car for less than you can buy an equivalent. All their stuff is 304 or 316 stainless, lifetime guarantee.

C&C Custom Stainless Exhausts in Hillington.

http://www.stainlessexhausts.com

Great guys - you cannot go wrong. I would go there before buying a mass or factory manufactured product. Why when it is built on and for your own car.

Brian.
Old 27 March 2004, 01:11 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

will give them a try mate. are they quite up to speed on impreza's ie not just exhausts.

Paul
Old 27 March 2004, 01:42 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul,

They are very good and know what is what. They have had a variety of cars (both in their work) and their own - everything from tipper trucks to rally cars. Check out their webiste under customer cars. Look under Toyota and you will see my last car, pre impreza, a silver Toyota Avensis SR.

Make sure you tell them that Brian from the Les Mis band sent you - Cameron and Campbell really know what they are doing and will build ou a superb system. I would try them first.

It will fit exactly to your car because every bit of it is fabricated on and for your car, measured on your car, adjusted on your car etc.

Brian.
Old 27 March 2004, 06:15 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

gave them a phone mate, sounds fairly reasonable, think they were talking around £500 supply and fit full decat system. only thing i need to find out for sure before i go for this, is about the remap, whether i need to have this done with full decat, and what the cost would be. i am running a tight budget.

thanks again
Paul
Old 28 March 2004, 05:38 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

nearly made my mind up guys. its going to be the afterburner vortex. still in doubt though about the full decat, just cant make up my mind whether just to go for decat centre and back box. help me.?
Old 28 March 2004, 05:42 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Front cat is the biggest restriction. Vortex BB and replacement downpipe IS the way to go, leave the centre cat.
Old 28 March 2004, 09:34 PM
Russs
Scooby Regular

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but how big bore do Extreme or C&C go?
Will they do a 3 inch system?

What size did you have, those of you who have been there?

Cheers
Old 28 March 2004, 10:30 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evojkp
Front cat is the biggest restriction. Vortex BB and replacement downpipe IS the way to go, leave the centre cat.
what about the centre section john. is it best to keep that, is it the same diameter from cat to back box.

Paul
Old 29 March 2004, 02:10 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Paul IIRC, the front cat is the one that does all the work, with the centre cat mopping up, if that makes sense?! Yes they have the same diameter, but the cat size and shapes are a lot different. The front one will 'soak' more exhaust gases, giving a bigger restriction.

I'm sure some techno buff can elaborate on my laymans language.

IMHO replacing the centre cat will not be of any benefit compared to cost. Unless you get a deal on a whole system
Old 29 March 2004, 02:56 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

John, took a trip upto extreme today. spoke with john, very knowledgable guy, know's his motors. he put me car up on the ramp and showed me around to where the cats are ect. helped a lot.
George is off on holiday until monday, john had said better to speak to him, as he is more gened up on the impreza's. john still reckons to go with the magnex full decat. the only thing they are not sure of at present is how to combat the lambada sensor. he says when the cats are replaced the management system senses different airflows to normal thus bringing on the engine management light. he is going to contact magnex to find a way round about it. he also stated i would not need a remap.
the money they are charging is also very reasonable. the full magnex decat is coming in just over the £400, where as the vortex is coming in at £600.
so have a week to think about it.

will keep you's posted.
Paul.
Old 29 March 2004, 03:11 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Paul, as far as I know Scoobysport are the only company with a fix for this at the moment.

Look here at the bottom of the page.