ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Gearbox and limited slip diff oil

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2013, 07:02 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox and limited slip diff oil

I've just been hit by a dose of paranoia.
My RB320 is in for service monday and is having a complete fluids change.
Rather than risk any old cheap oil being put in my pride and joy i bought my own oils from Opie.
I used there drop down list and believe i bought the correct oil for my gearbox and diffs.
I bought 6 Litres of Millers CRX 75w90 NT. The reason for my paranoia is i looked on the millers website for info on this oil (wondered what nano was) and used their drop down list, they recommended EP 75w80 GL5. I'm hoping i have just bought a better oil than what millers site recommend? Have i bought the right oil for my car??

I don't want to appear rude in anyway but, no guess work please lads. This is my baby so i need to know facts
Old 17 August 2013, 07:17 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

I just ordered new oil from AS performance and the CRX 75w90 is what Alyn recommended for the gearbox and CRX 75w80 for the dif
Old 17 August 2013, 07:17 PM
Streetracersti
Scooby Regular

I used 75w90 motul in my06 hawk for gearbox - no probs
For rear diff- must be LSD spec oil ( limited slip Diff )

Subaru recommends 5w/30 engine oil ( ok for normal drive ) , and a lot of scooby owners use 15w50 or similar ( better with high temp )

hope this will help in some way

Good luck
Old 17 August 2013, 07:22 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads. This is what the Millers site say regarding CRX 75w90 NT.

Application

Designed for the lubrication of competition gearboxes. Manual transmissions, synchromesh, non-synchromesh, sequential gearboxes, transfer gearboxes and hypoid differentials without limited slip which require API GL4 or GL5 performance. Recommended for modern transmissions where fully synthetic oil is specified, especially for high performance road and track day applications. Hewland, Xtrac, Glebe Transmissions, ZF, Tran X, Elite Transmissions. Note: Does not contain friction modifiers. For plate type Limited Slip differentials use CRX LS 75w90 NT
To be honest i have not got a clue what type of diffs my car has??
Old 17 August 2013, 07:52 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I've just been on the opie site again. For my car (RB320) the upgrade recommended oil for the gearbox, front and rear diff is CRX 75w90 nt which is what i bought. But if you look at oils for limited slip diffs (non car specific) they say CRX 75w 90 LS (weights vary). All very confusing. Maybe my car has a different type of limited slip diff to the type that would use the LS oils ?
Old 17 August 2013, 08:09 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I have used the regular crx 75w 90nt in both gearbox and rear diff (dccd) without issue. I've also used the ls for the rear diff and didn't notice any difference.
Old 17 August 2013, 08:33 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

This is interesting as heard that if you do not use correct LS oil in the rear can cause wheel locking at low speeds, I currently have the CRX 75/90 in both box and rear diff, wonder if this may be my issue with the locking when carrying out tight turns at low speed when the oil is hot.
How can I clearly identify what rear diff I have?
Old 17 August 2013, 08:42 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I do believe the LS is the correct oil for the DCCD equipped cars rear diff. That's why I swapped.
Old 17 August 2013, 08:50 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I do believe the LS is the correct oil for the DCCD equipped cars rear diff. That's why I swapped.
What about none DCCD cars? What type of rear diff?
Old 17 August 2013, 08:51 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Looked in my hand book and it says use an API GL5 spec oil in the rear diff. Both the CRX75w90 NT and CRX 75w90 LS are API GL5 spec according to the Specifications and Manufacturer Approvals data on opie oils site. So from that i would assume both oils are suitable for the rear diff in my car.
I would love to know exactly what diff i have and what the difference is in these oils regarding suitability for types of LS diff.
Old 17 August 2013, 08:59 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Millers CRX 75w-90 is part of the Millers Motorsport range and is a competition full synthetic transmission oil. A blend of full synthetic base oils incorporating new “Nano Technology” additive chemistry to significantly reduce internal frictional and power losses.

Use as received for the lubrication of competition gearboxes, and axles, which require API GL4 or GL5 performance.

Suitable for use in synchromesh and sequential gearboxes. Ideal for combined synchromesh gearbox and limited slip differentials.

Recommended for modern transmissions where full synthetic oil is specified, especially for high performance road and track day applications.
Competition full synthetic transmission oil with friction modifiers for limited slip differentials. Millers Oils CRX LS Synth 75w-90 incorporates “Nano Technology” additive chemistry to significantly reduce internal frictional and power losses, whilst providing additional shock protection to dog rings and gears.
Use as received for the lubrication of competition ‘dog’ gearboxes and axles which require limited slip high performance oils. Specially formulated for sequential gearboxes. Not suitable for synchromesh or overdrive boxes.
Looks like either but dont use LS in the gearbox of our cars.
Info taken from opie.
Old 17 August 2013, 09:29 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Inviroman
What about none DCCD cars? What type of rear diff?
The regular CRX stuff will be fine. That's what I used in my previous non DCCD Subarus. I will echo the above caveat about not using the LS stuff in the gearbox. It will bugger the box up as it's not designed for synchromesh gears.
Old 17 August 2013, 09:35 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

So the CRX is fine in the rear diff? From some reading found that only Subaru rear diff oil should be used or motol oil?
Wonder if this is the cause of the rear locking up under tight turns at low speed and feeling tight when hot??
Old 17 August 2013, 09:44 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

I ran CRX 75w90 NT in the gearbox of my old Spec-D without any issues Chopperman. For the rear diff it was a bit noisy with Millers CRX LS 75w-90 NT so I switched it to Motul 90 PA and it was fine.
Old 17 August 2013, 10:03 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
I ran CRX 75w90 NT in the gearbox of my old Spec-D without any issues Chopperman. For the rear diff it was a bit noisy with Millers CRX LS 75w-90 NT so I switched it to Motul 90 PA and it was fine.
Hi mate, howz tricks? not seen you around for a while. Replaced the spec D yet ?

Im not going to use the LS as with reading up tonight and talking to you gents i think the NT i have already bought is ok and its recommended by opie . Should i find after its noisy or any other negative issues i will drain it out and try something else. I think we have at least established CRX 75w 90 NT is not the incorrect oil for the rear diff. Whether its the best i think is still open for debate.
Thanks for your help tonight guys. So far its been a very interesting read
I'm still rather hoping someone in the know can tell me exactly what type of LS diff we/i have and any more info on oils or experiences is gratefully received.
Old 18 August 2013, 12:25 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'm good thanks, not been on here a lot since selling the spec D this time last year. Got a 9 week old baby boy now that takes all my time but still fancy another Subaru sometime.
Old 18 August 2013, 12:43 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
Yeah I'm good thanks, not been on here a lot since selling the spec D this time last year. Got a 9 week old baby boy now that takes all my time but still fancy another Subaru sometime.
Congratulations mate Make the most of it while there young mate. The crying and dirty nappy's is nothing compared to uni fees, putting them on your car insurance ect. Not my car i might add, mums Mine are now 20, 17 and 12. My scooby is my sanctuary
Old 18 August 2013, 03:54 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

we generally supply/recomend a pukka L:S oil for the R180 rear diffs (new-age STi, Type-R, STi RA, etc.) and wouldn't normally suggest using straight gear oil.....................
Old 18 August 2013, 04:03 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the box oil, but I just done my rear diff last week. I used motul 90pa. No probs at all. 2004 STi.
Old 18 August 2013, 04:11 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
we generally supply/recomend a pukka L:S oil for the R180 rear diffs (new-age STi, Type-R, STi RA, etc.) and wouldn't normally suggest using straight gear oil.....................
What oil do you recommend for the rear diff mate ?
Old 18 August 2013, 05:33 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

sorry should have clarified that CRX75w90 NT is perfect for the box...............for road use

for the diff then generally the likes of CRX80w90LS or CRX75w140NT LS for more arduous use
also use/stock Motul 90PA and Gear300LS

far easier and better IMO to get "real world" advice and product from someone that not only stock the correct product you require but can also back it up with any information or recomends and at the right price too...........

Last edited by AS Performance; 18 August 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 18 August 2013, 06:06 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

sorry should have clarified that CRX75w90 NT is perfect for the box...............for road use

for the diff then generally the likes of CRX80w90LS or CRX75w140NT LS for more arduous use

far easier and better IMO to get "real world" advice and product from someone that not only stock the correct product you require but can also back it up with any information or recomends and at the right price too...........
Cheers mate Its stuffed me a bit as my service is tomorrow morning. I think i will tell him to leave the rear diff and get them to do that once i have the correct oil. The other choice is use the CRX 75w90NT and drain out later but thats a bit of a waste.
Old 18 August 2013, 06:42 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Do the rear diff oil yourself mate. It's really easy. You don't even need to jack the car up. .
Old 18 August 2013, 06:47 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LDNSTi
Do the rear diff oil yourself mate. It's really easy. You don't even need to jack the car up. .
After draining, is it just a case of fill until its level with the filler hole ?
Old 18 August 2013, 06:49 PM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Yep. Just wait till it starts running out of the filler hole and put the filler plug back in. . The pump I used to put the oil in was by a company called laser tools . Product code 4385. Made it sooooo simple. .
Old 19 August 2013, 07:09 AM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Which one of these below would be suitable for my 2002 bug STI rear diff? Already have the CRX 75/90 in the box and same in the diff and from reading and posting in this thread seems may have to change the rear oil.
Cheers

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60232-mi...ssion-oil.aspx

Or

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60260-mi...ssion-oil.aspx

Or

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60255-mi...ssion-oil.aspx

Last edited by Inviroman; 19 August 2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 19 August 2013, 05:50 PM
supshon
Scooby Regular

This is interesting as heard that if you do not use correct LS oil in the rear can cause wheel locking at low speeds, I currently have the CRX 75/90 in both box and rear diff, wonder if this may be my issue with the locking when carrying out tight turns at low speed when the oil is hot.
Mines just started doing this , have problems with front end of the car hopping / jumping when on large amounts of steering lock, but only when the car is warm. Reading around I decided this was most likely a problem with the centre viscous coupling. Now I'm wondering if changing the oil will solve it
Old 19 August 2013, 06:31 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

This could be down to shim tolerances in the diff i believe.
Old 19 August 2013, 07:30 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

the wrong oil certainly wont help and will potentially wear the plates, etc. far quicker.............
Old 19 August 2013, 07:39 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Which one of the three posted will be best suited to allow me to order.
I have been told that it may be the centre diff may need to be replaced as uneven tires and dohnuts can cause this to fail (none done by me) dohnuts that is, had to replace the tyres as had uneven wear when a bought the car.

Last edited by Inviroman; 19 August 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Stupid iphone keypad, or my bad spelling!

Quick Reply: Gearbox and limited slip diff oil