Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Where to buy a used low mileage WRX Blobeye?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2013, 10:08 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy a used low mileage WRX Blobeye?

I'm searching ebay, autotrader and pistonheads but no luck.

Anyone know of any dealers specializing in these cars? Looking for any WRX sub of 30,000 miles.
Old 10 April 2013, 04:14 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

I think you'll struggle to find one due to the age of the cars now, the 05's are 8yrs old now. Any particular reason for the mileage?
Old 10 April 2013, 04:49 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Sub 30k???
That aint low mileage mate, that's not been used enuff mileage, and in my experience that isn't a good thing.
Old 10 April 2013, 05:32 PM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

surely one will pop up if you keep searching. i have been looking at ep3 type r and have seen one at 12k and one at 13k so cars of that age can be had. just a case of being patient. And if the car has been maintained and serviced i cant see it being a problem.
Old 10 April 2013, 09:37 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

I always wanted a blob eye, and just want to have a clean low mileage example to forever keep, and maybe to use it just a handful of times a year.
Old 10 April 2013, 11:55 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I think you'll struggle, that's 3-3.5k a year every year from new, and that's just about unheard of in a relatively stock car IMO. I've just picked up one that had 50k on it and that's about as low as I've seen them recently. Average has been about 4k a year, with a few higher years earlier in its life. It's already had 3k put on it in six weeks so the low mileage won't last long. Buy on condition and don't be too worried about mileage per se. I saw 60k cars that were utter turds, while I saw a couple of local 80k cars that pulled hard, drove tight and would have been a good buy. However, with my average mileage being over 15k I didn't want to be selling a 100k+ car in a few years as they just become that bit more difficult to sell. No actual issue with the higher mileage cars as every one of the last five cars I've owned have been bought with 50k+ on them and taken them to 150k+.

Realistically, at 30k, you're going to be looking at a car that could well be suffering from under use, unless it's been used regularly, and then you have the risk of lots f short journeys increasing the wear and tear. If you buy a higher mileage car that's been used for runs at weekends then things'll have been kept moving and the engine won't have been building up condensation and suffering lots of cold starts from regular short journeys.

I totally get where you're coming from, but I think you'll be paying over the odds for a car that isn't quite as good as it looks on the surface...it's still a ten year old car. Go for a slightly higher miles car and spend a little extra on getting it up to the standard you want (full paint correction/wheel refurb/new discs&pads etc).
Old 11 April 2013, 12:41 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Took me a while to find my blob. Looked at 3 before I settled on my current. Loved the 2nd one I looked at, but there was something about the owner I didn't like. He was young, about 20ish, very brash and cocksure of himself. Soon as I met him I didn't like him. That put me off the car straight away, even though everything appeared ok with it.

If you have a gut feeling to walk away from a car, there's probably a reason for it!

Settled on my blob I have now. Just under 50k, didn't want an uber low or high mileage example. Luckily I found a happy medium. Took a while though!

It's too tempting to jump in a fast car, put your foot down and instantly fall in love lol!
Old 11 April 2013, 08:12 AM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any motor you buy will need upkeep and on going repairs....

Buy the best you can afford then just be prepaired to maintain...
Old 11 April 2013, 08:33 AM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poolio74
Sub 30k???
That aint low mileage mate, that's not been used enuff mileage, and in my experience that isn't a good thing.
I have to agree with this comment, I once bought a VERY low mileage BMW, the mileage was correct as MOTs were checked and the car was showing no signs of wear etc, however after a few months it was obvious why the car had low miles.... it couldnt be driven much unless you wanted to put tyres on it every 300 miles... turns out it had been in a rear end crash and not repaired properly early on in its life, previous owners tried to fix it but the rear end was kaput and made the tyres wear on the inside, I had it in numerous places and replced loads of parts, i made it slightly better, but couldnt get it right..
When I see low miles now it makes me wonder why....
Old 11 April 2013, 08:52 AM
ScottyPPP
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've just got to keep your eyes open.

I found my 55k mile Blob WRX PPP Wagon fairly local and snapped it up!
Old 11 April 2013, 02:19 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, they do make sense. I'll just be patient and careful.
Old 11 April 2013, 07:42 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

I have a blob wrx with 71k and its amy03. I only did 4000 miles since last mot as i have a works car. But keep thinking of selling it but its always hard to let go lol