ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Help needed on the decision about WRX-> STi

Old 05 February 2013, 03:21 PM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help needed on the decision about WRX-> STi

Hello,
I have a nice 2001 wrx bug in midnight pearl black, with a few mods , and I was planning to upgrade it...
I already have:
Forge bov
Silicon intake pipe (before maf)
Performance full 3" exhaust
Diamond front disks and yellow stuff pads
Tein adjustable coilovers
Innovit alloys
Blitz gauges
And other small things
And I was planning to buy a sti tmic, apc 70mm CAI, change the fuel pump to walbro and get it mapped.... but when i found out how much mapping is- made me wonder is it really worth it...
A remap is approx 650 £, +those parts will add up..so in total around 1000 £, which will get me 280-320bhp....... is it worth doing?? Or should I just sell the wrx, add 2000/3000 £ and buy a STi?!?!?!
If yes, what do you think idd get for a close to mint 2001 wrx with 86k miles fsh, 4 owners from new... atleast approx....

Thx for advice!!!!
Old 05 February 2013, 03:49 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

You can get a remap for considerably less than £650, especially if you go o/s (opensource) rather than ecutek. £300-400 maybe? Have a search on here for mappers, plenty to choose from.

Unless your changing the turbo theres little point in changing to an sti tmic. The turbo assuming its still the standard td04 will run out of puff before the wrx tmic becomes an issue. Whatever tuning route you take worth getting a decat for the upipe at the very least.
Old 05 February 2013, 05:15 PM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt2732
You can get a remap for considerably less than £650, especially if you go o/s (opensource) rather than ecutek. £300-400 maybe? Have a search on here for mappers, plenty to choose from.

Unless your changing the turbo theres little point in changing to an sti tmic. The turbo assuming its still the standard td04 will run out of puff before the wrx tmic becomes an issue. Whatever tuning route you take worth getting a decat for the upipe at the very least.
100£ for hawkeye type uk sti tmic is worth any day isint it??? Everyone told me to keep the wrx tmic, but this looks cheap enought, so why not...

Not sure where I still have cats in mine...but the exhaust looks like this

Whats the big deal about ecutec then??? I had a full Blitz ecu in my mr2, even that was cheaper :S
Old 05 February 2013, 05:19 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Because it's a saloon, i say return it to standard spec and sell up as it will always be a wrx, and your obviously in to modding so the STI is probably the better base for you, i only say that because the way your headed you will need bigger brakes and a 6 speed at some point, so may as well jump now if modding is your thing.

If it was a Wagon then i'd say go for it.
Old 05 February 2013, 05:40 PM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Because it's a saloon, i say return it to standard spec and sell up as it will always be a wrx, and your obviously in to modding so the STI is probably the better base for you, i only say that because the way your headed you will need bigger brakes and a 6 speed at some point, so may as well jump now if modding is your thing.

If it was a Wagon then i'd say go for it.
Nice comment mate.... made me cancel all of my purchases regarding power and think again...
Im not planning to go for a lot of power...just that I had a bmw before which I overmodded and could not sell, wish I got the m3 back then in the first place
What do you think...if the car is on the original map, amd only has exhaust and bov... no harm will be done ?
Actually started to think about a STi now..... roughly will I get 3500 for mine?
Old 05 February 2013, 10:23 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Tbh you might struggle, may be wrong though. Ecutek is the software used to remap, fair chunk of the cost is the software licence. Use an OS mapper you don't have this cost.
Old 05 February 2013, 11:04 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Ref the cats there's a precat between the exhaust manifolds and turbo, this the upipe, you can change this and still pass MOT. The main cat is immediately after the turbo, the start of the exhaust in your picture, if removing it you need to have a think about MOT time. Reckon you've got a bit to think about now, good luck with whatever route.
Old 05 February 2013, 11:32 PM
Mcintyre19
Scooby Regular

What rear silencer is that? Looks awesome!
Old 06 February 2013, 06:47 AM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Performance ill upload a picture later today
Old 06 February 2013, 08:10 AM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Old 06 February 2013, 08:12 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nero_slk
Nice comment mate.... made me cancel all of my purchases regarding power and think again...
Im not planning to go for a lot of power...just that I had a bmw before which I overmodded and could not sell, wish I got the m3 back then in the first place
What do you think...if the car is on the original map, amd only has exhaust and bov... no harm will be done ?
Actually started to think about a STi now..... roughly will I get 3500 for mine?
Pricing is difficult, looks a really nice car and the best colour, for some reason people like standard cars, good thing is if you don't have the standard parts there are plenty of breakers on here that do, and quite cheaply, the mods you have can be either re used on a new car or sold separately, which will make up for any short fall.

I'd say standard anywhere between £2700 and £3200 depending on how quick you want it gone, and even with mods somewhere around the same as the market is flat, hence why you may as well keep them.
Old 06 February 2013, 08:31 AM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Pricing is difficult, looks a really nice car and the best colour, for some reason people like standard cars, good thing is if you don't have the standard parts there are plenty of breakers on here that do, and quite cheaply, the mods you have can be either re used on a new car or sold separately, which will make up for any short fall.

I'd say standard anywhere between £2700 and £3200 depending on how quick you want it gone, and even with mods somewhere around the same as the market is flat, hence why you may as well keep them.
Anyway it has the mods EVERYone wants exhaust for the sound, bov for the kcshhhhh, gauges for keeping it safe ..... ah damn coilovers alloys and sti goodies are not exactly on the list are they

Dont know what to do.... really fancy a sti now with the dccd :/
Old 06 February 2013, 08:47 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Before you sell up think about how far are you gonna go with modding?

if your gonna go the whole hog, suspension, brakes, engine, bodywork etc is there any point in the hassel of selling and buying an sti also is it worth the extra cost if your going to replace the parts on the sti anyway?

gearbox can be picked up for about 2k, your talking of getting rid of the suspension already so dont think its worth switching.

p.s. if you dont need coilovers a decent set of adjustable shocks and lowering springs are a much better and cheaper option
Old 06 February 2013, 09:09 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Before you sell up think about how far are you gonna go with modding?

if your gonna go the whole hog, suspension, brakes, engine, bodywork etc is there any point in the hassel of selling and buying an sti also is it worth the extra cost if your going to replace the parts on the sti anyway?

gearbox can be picked up for about 2k, your talking of getting rid of the suspension already so dont think its worth switching.

p.s. if you dont need coilovers a decent set of adjustable shocks and lowering springs are a much better and cheaper option
Sorry mate don't see the logic in that statement.

I'm no STI fanboy as is well documented on here, but if your a modder the sums don't add up for the WRX, he's planning on doing mods that run into £2k before we talk about brakes and gearbox, then he'll need to look at roll bars etc, and no doubt he will go further once he gets used to his 270/280bhp then it's turbo time and more mapping probably full decat or sport cat, up pipe headers modding etc as it makes sence to do that at map tweak time, by the time he's done it will be another £5/6k, then the real biggy engine build if you want to go further.

I'm a WRX fanboy, love them for just exactly what they are, a quick comfy daily, but they aint an STI from a modders perspective, and it's financial madness to try and make it one.

If he has the money to jump ship and get an STI now is most definitely the time.
Old 06 February 2013, 09:12 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he has the money to jump ship and get an STI
Old 06 February 2013, 09:40 AM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm a WRX fanboy, love them for just exactly what they are, a quick comfy daily, but they aint an STI from a modders perspective, and it's financial madness to try and make it one.

If he has the money to jump ship and get an STI now is most definitely the time.

+1 loved my WRX and very happy with my STI now, both great cars but if looking to mod makes more sence to start from a higher base level

Last edited by oldman-wrx; 06 February 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06 February 2013, 09:52 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate don't see the logic in that statement.

I'm no STI fanboy as is well documented on here, but if your a modder the sums don't add up for the WRX, he's planning on doing mods that run into £2k before we talk about brakes and gearbox, then he'll need to look at roll bars etc, and no doubt he will go further once he gets used to his 270/280bhp then it's turbo time and more mapping probably full decat or sport cat, up pipe headers modding etc as it makes sence to do that at map tweak time, by the time he's done it will be another £5/6k, then the real biggy engine build if you want to go further.

what im getting at is why pay for all the fancy bits on an sti, if your going to replace them?

sti brembo brakes, switch to AP's, so brembos go in the skip.
sti shocks and spring, replace with ast's, so shocks go in the skip.
sti engine gets replaces with 2.35 cdb forged rods and piston, sti engine goes in the skip
sti 6 speed box might not have right ratios, or you may hate them so that goes in the skip

anything of the sti left for your extra 3 grand?

just replace the parts on the wrx and save that initial extra 3k purchase cost on junk piled parts.

If your building a shell up track car. why spend 5 grand on an sti when the shell is the same as a £500 sport, your gonna junk all the sti parts so saving 4.5k off the bat.
Old 06 February 2013, 09:55 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldman-wrx
+1 loved my WRX and very happy with my STI now, both great cars but if looking to mod makes more sence to start from a higher base level
thats not totaly true lol
Old 06 February 2013, 10:26 AM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

thats not totaly true lol
It is..... I had a 323ci modified to look like 330 clubsport, then I had a alfa 2.5 V6 wanted to make it look like GTA, and other toys...so the think I ended up with is a opinion-its always best to buy the highest spec you can
Insurance wise modified wrx will cost me even more than simple sti :/ im only 22 , so insurance is a big issue
Im not planning to make a monster car, tho I love modified cars :/
Old 06 February 2013, 10:29 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nero_slk
It is..... I had a 323ci modified to look like 330 clubsport, then I had a alfa 2.5 V6 wanted to make it look like GTA, and other toys...so the think I ended up with is a opinion-its always best to buy the highest spec you can
Insurance wise modified wrx will cost me even more than simple sti :/ im only 22 , so insurance is a big issue
Im not planning to make a monster car, tho I love modified cars :/

thats why i was asking how far you planned to go, if your going whole hog then no point in sti or higherspec model just paying for stuf you skip, if your only going some then sti.
Old 06 February 2013, 10:37 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Your car looks fantastic which makes the decision much harder; personally I would keep what you have and enjoy spending money on upgrading parts.

On the other hand you could be join the STI club and then you would get to feel this mystical “higher base level” even that little STI badge gains 50bhp
Old 06 February 2013, 11:14 AM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
Your car looks fantastic which makes the decision much harder; personally I would keep what you have and enjoy spending money on upgrading parts.

On the other hand you could be join the STI club and then you would get to feel this mystical “higher base level” even that little STI badge gains 50bhp
Thx man ) thats why its such a hard decision , cause I think my scooby looks great...only few more things for my personal perfection on the outside ) not only 50bhp from the badge...makes man feel bigger DDD ....
I jist fancy the sti-scoop, headlights, interior, clocks, brakes...not even saying anything bout the engine which makes me want to get a sti more ://
Old 06 February 2013, 12:02 PM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

mystical higher base level = not just a little STI badge and gain of 50 bhp on the wrx

comment on base level was in relation to op who was looking to bring his wrx up to effectivly sti levels. yes he can do it but he has stated that modded wrx insurance is dearer than standard sti.

and as we all know once you start modding then it does not stop if that is the case then better starting from a higher spec level.

this is not deriding wrx vis a vis sti
Old 06 February 2013, 01:16 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

what im getting at is why pay for all the fancy bits on an sti, if your going to replace them?

sti engine gets replaces with 2.35 cdb forged rods and piston, sti engine goes in the skip
sti 6 speed box might not have right ratios, or you may hate them so that goes in the skip

just replace the parts on the wrx and save that initial extra 3k purchase cost on junk piled parts.

If your building a shell up track car. why spend 5 grand on an sti when the shell is the same as a £500 sport, your gonna junk all the sti parts so saving 4.5k off the bat.
Agreed to a point, the STI parts are hardly skip fodder though, they can be sold on to WRX owners who maybe did not have funds to purchase an STI or had insurance issues or like me just didn't want an STI at the time but want some of the performance gain offered by the parts.

Yes if your doing a ground up monster build, i have said it before, better off starting with a WRX as then your logic makes perfect sense, or if like me your a Wagon man.

Op was a clearly defined question and he is a modder the look of his car says it all, he has the funds presumably, so why not start at a point that is capable of taking him to circa 400 bhp with no worries for less overall outlay.

It's something i myself have put a lot of thought into, to mod or not to mod my WRX blob with PPP, at the moment i'm happy the way it is, but it's a real shame subaru saw fit not to make a blob wagon STI otherwise even i would have bought one this time round (2nd Blob WRX) so tempted to build it up to 450bhp but don't have the time right now and need to use it when i'm in uk so it's got to wait.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 06 February 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06 February 2013, 02:55 PM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Does a yone live in southampton? ?? Maybe youdd like to meet up?? Would be great to look at a real sti from close to see if its worth it ))
Old 06 February 2013, 06:20 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

STI all day long. You know it makes sense.
Looks, Performance, stronger internals, Tuning potential, Interior, the badge, etc.
Any WRX owner that mods his car really wants the STI.
Just like the Fiesta owner always wanted the XR2. [if you remember the XR2] lol
Old 06 February 2013, 07:25 PM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
STI all day long. You know it makes sense.
Looks, Performance, stronger internals, Tuning potential, Interior, the badge, etc.
Any WRX owner that mods his car really wants the STI.
Just like the Fiesta owner always wanted the XR2. [if you remember the XR2] lol
Could not say anything bout fiesta...but VTi civic wannabes ))))
Heh...well, might try putting it for sale...and see if I get any calls.... and if it sells just get a sti if not just keep on rollin
Old 06 February 2013, 09:36 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Please let me know the location of this skip with all the worthless parts in it.
Old 07 February 2013, 01:14 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Old 07 February 2013, 01:55 AM
Aaronboydefc
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Please let me know the location of this skip with all the worthless parts in it.
why so u can nick the parts?? thats like saying gimme bmw 550 instead of an m5, silly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help needed on the decision about WRX-> STi