ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Rusty front subframe

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2012, 12:02 AM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty front subframe

My car was in for undersealing today. They noticed my front subframe was rusted quite badly. They mentioned that Subaru had done a recall on these. Anyone had this done? Would they refuse as my car is a Euro import?

It's worth chancing my arm, if not will get one from a scrappy. Anyone on here got one going spare?

Also the front "horseshoe" was rusted as well. I've seen a replacement brace on Jap Performance Parts, a HKS Kansai 6 point under brace. Anyone advise on these?

cheers guys
Old 01 December 2012, 12:07 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

They are common for rusting, you can do away with it if you want, take it off and take it down the tip many have done this, car will still drive fine and has no major knock on effects
Old 01 December 2012, 12:17 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

What part is common to rust? the whole front subframe, i havnt had time to remove my plastic cover as yet
Old 01 December 2012, 12:24 AM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
They are common for rusting, you can do away with it if you want, take it off and take it down the tip many have done this, car will still drive fine and has no major knock on effects
You mean the front horseshoe can be removed? The subframe has steering ack and other stuff bolted on so need that...

Is the horseshoe for impact protection?

Anyone heard of the Subaru recall?
Old 01 December 2012, 12:31 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Yes sorry the horse shoe, not heard off a recall or read anything about it on here for the sub frame, but I'm relatively new to the sight so can't help there sorry
Old 01 December 2012, 01:07 AM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

If you're on about the front sub frame, that is 'U' shaped, that the plastic under 'engine' tray bolts to..I Believe it is stability related.
MY07 sub frame looks **** & rusty.
I think Chevron Motorsport do a Alloy subframe replacement, that weighs a fraction of the cast OE unit! & what i'll be getting when I do my engine re-build..
Old 01 December 2012, 07:43 AM
cobra_mark
Scooby Regular

This is a common bugeye and blob eye issue, it is cause in part by water trapped in the under tray. Mine has been wax oiled and will be every year. My friends blob eye failed its mot on this, but he got a hawk eye fitted to it, not cheap. Certainly wouldn't remove it it has a purpose!
Old 01 December 2012, 11:36 AM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

My front subframe completely rusted out on my bug, although alot of people get rid of them, i decided to replace it as after all, it does serve a purpose. Be warned they are extremely expensive!!
Old 01 December 2012, 02:43 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

I've had a visit to my local scrap yard. They had a few horseshoe subframes, £80 which I thought was fine. However, that's not what I was looking for, I need the subframe that the steering rack bolts onto. The yard also had one of them at £80 but I'm sure it looked different, wonder if all the newages are the same?

Jap Performance Parts do the subframe I want for £85 but I'm going to wait and see if Subaru are going to replace this foc. Apparently they have done it for others but as my car is a Euro import I need to wait till next week to see if they will or not.