Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Alcatek

Old 29 October 2012, 10:31 PM
sammyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcatek

Okay well I'm pretty sure that I am going to be upgrading my ecu in the next few weeks to an Alcatek, although haven't really seen many reviews from people that have actually got them. So how are people finding the upgrade, has the idle improved and what is the improvement in general drive-ability like?
Old 29 October 2012, 10:32 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hope you have the patience of a saint
Old 29 October 2012, 10:41 PM
sammyb
Scooby Regular

yeah to be honest my cars been off the road so long think i might just stick with my simtek or get a syvecs. Things is, I bought a toucan, do you know if the simtek in standard form will hook up with the toucan?
Old 29 October 2012, 10:44 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Was thinking of upgrading mine over the winter, are there problems with this?
Old 29 October 2012, 10:46 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sammyb
yeah to be honest my cars been off the road so long think i might just stick with my simtek or get a syvecs. Things is, I bought a toucan, do you know if the simtek in standard form will hook up with the toucan?
Dont think it will but if im wrong im sure someone will correct me

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Was thinking of upgrading mine over the winter, are there problems with this?
People have been waiting ages to get their ecus back, read a thread on p1woc and the guy waited 6 weeks for his ecu back
Old 29 October 2012, 10:47 PM
sammyb
Scooby Regular

At the moment there is a bit of a back log.... thats why i was wondering if anyone has actually got any experience of how they drive. wonder if i could hold a slot in the queue without taking my ECU out??lol
Old 29 October 2012, 10:50 PM
stewart1397
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

had mine upgraded back in august,car dives spot on,perfect idle,had the toucan fitted too also with wideband lambda.
Old 29 October 2012, 10:51 PM
sammyb
Scooby Regular

who did you have map it and how long did you have to wait mate?
Old 29 October 2012, 10:53 PM
stewart1397
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

martyn at enginetuner mapped it and i left the car there for 2weeks while i went on holiday.
Old 29 October 2012, 10:57 PM
sammyb
Scooby Regular

was going to get mine mapped by martyn.

Last edited by sammyb; 29 October 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 29 October 2012, 11:52 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been waiting weeks for my updates !! Still not got them :^(

Last edited by scooby2.5maz; 29 October 2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 30 October 2012, 12:06 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Think I'll put it off for a while until the back log is cleared. Six weeks is OTT, don't mind it taking two or three though.
Old 30 October 2012, 08:26 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Okay well I'm pretty sure that I am going to be upgrading my ecu in the next few weeks to an Alcatek, although haven't really seen many reviews from people that have actually got them. So how are people finding the upgrade, has the idle improved and what is the improvement in general drive-ability like?
I think I'm one of the first on the latest Alca Tek - not a software upgrade on an old ecu, a new unit from scratch. Final results: very pleased. My advice would be to go go for it.

Excellent driveability and functionality. No gremlins and Enginetuner haver been A1 in installing and advising. If you would like a spin in mine you're not to far away (Bristol is 45 mins) drop me a pm and we can sort it out

Spec sheet below:

Using the Toucan touch screen system, the ECU monitors oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, charge temp, knock levels and full span wideband air/fuel ratio.

Should the system detect any variation from the pre sets, the ECU will take positive action to rectify and advise what is taking place.

The closed loop idle ensures a smooth transition and the closed loop knock control offers an industry standard of progressive action.

MAF Less System
By using a speed/density based control strategy, the need for the Mass Air Flow meter, and the associated limitations and potential problems can be eliminated. The ECU can be configured to operate with either the OEM MAP sensor or any commercially available 0-5V sensor.

Real Time Live Mapping
All Alcatek ECUs have real time live mapping, providing your mapper with the information and ability to get the most from your engine. There is no need to stop the engine whilst changes are made, and there is no limit to the number of changes that can be made. Your mapper can see the effect of changes instantly.

Plug ‘n’ Play
All the Alcatek ECUs have no requirement for ‘adapter looms’ or wiring modifications, and fits into the OEM case, providing for a neat and reliable installation. This also allows for the vehicle to be easily returned to the OEM ECU should the vehicle be sold.

Advanced Wastegate Control
The wastegate control system incorporates features commonly found on high end aftermarket boost controllers, thus eliminating the need for this additional expense. This includes engine speed and throttle angle 3D closed loop control, along with gear dependant corrections.

Multi-Maps
‘Multi-Maps’ enables you to effortlessly change between maps as your requirements demand. You can have a map setup for ‘normal driving’, which is optimised for fuel economy and then change to ‘track day’, which is optimised for performance. The choice of what your Multi-Maps do is down to you and your mapper. The Multi-Maps allow changes in Fuel, Ignition & Boost. They are ‘full maps’ not just a single modification, to a common base map. You can choose how you select your desired map, either using an add-on selector switch (allowing the maps to be changed ‘on the fly’ whilst driving) or by using the throttle pedal position at switch on.

Knock Warning and correction
The ECU uses the OEM Knock Sensor to listen for ‘Knock’. This is then fed to a Digital Signal Processor for analysis. If the DSP decides that knock is detected, the Check Engine Light will be flashed to give the driver warning that engine damage could be occurring. Optionally the ECU can be configured to take corrective action in an effort to avoid damage.

Closed Loop Fuel Control
The ECU uses the OEM narrowband lambda sensor to give optimal fuel control in the idle / light throttle / cruise regions. The ECU checks that the signals from the sensor are valid, and will switch to Open-Loop if it believes the sensor to have failed. As an option, it is possible to connect a true wideband sensor.

OEM Driveability
The use of 24 x 24 fuel and ignition maps, gives unparalleled resolution and results in excellent road manners for light throttle driving. Advanced acceleration enrichment features give crisp throttle response even when using large injector configurations. Comprehensive starting strategies which are replicated from the OEM ECU, ensure ’first turn’ starting in all conditions.

Diagnostic Indication
To help with troubleshooting, the Alcatek ECUs use the ‘Check Engine Light’ and tachometer to provide rapid reporting of diagnostic information. Problems such as a faulty sensor will be indicated by the tachometer pointing out any error numbers.

Anti Lag System
As a cost option, the ECU can have ALS installed. Three ALS calibrations are available, allowing for ‘Jacked Open Throttle’ based systems as well as driver selected Hard / Soft modes. Air charge temperature is monitored by the ALS system to reduce the risk of engine damage due to high charge temperatures.

Launch Control and Full Throttle Gear Change
As part of the ALS cost option, the ECU has the ability to provide launch control and full throttle gear change (FTGC requires the use of a non-syncromesh gearbox to gain maximum benefit)

Gear Change Output (Shift Light)
The ECU provides a ‘Shift Light’ output to indicate to the driver the optimum point to change gear. The point at which the output is activated is gear dependant.

Multi Stage Engine Speed Limiter
The ECU has a progressive engine speed limiter using a combination of fuel & ignition cuts. This provides full over speed protection, whilst not giving a sudden loss of power.

Individual Cylinder Fuel & Ignition Trims
The ECU allows for each cylinder to have it’s own fuel & ignition ‘trimmed’ to allow for small differences between cylinders. When combined with the Knock Sensor DSP, which can not only detect knock but can discriminate which cylinder is the cause. This permits the engine output to be balanced so that all cylinders are performing equally.

Automatic Water Spray / Injection Control
On vehicles equipped with an intercooler water spray or aftermarket water injection system, the ECU can take control of this to provide closed loop charge temperature correction. Trigger levels are determined based on engine speed, throttle angle, boost pressure and air charge temperature.
Old 30 October 2012, 09:56 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

The Simtek needs the upgrade to Alcatek spec to enable the Toucan.
Yes, it's taking a while, but there's been a hell of a lot of work going on and the situation should improve soon. Having thoroughly tested the new system in its entirety, we can say it's superb, and worth the wait.
Old 30 October 2012, 10:00 AM
sammyb
Scooby Regular

Sprigateer would have taken you up on that offer in a second, but am now based down in cornwall, so 40mins is more like 3hrs. If for whatever reason you are down this way in the next couple of weeks would love to go out for a spin. Good to here that idle has been improved, the idle on my simtek was a little dubious at times.Think I am reasonably well sold on it, just interested if there are any bugs that haven't been ironed out yet?
Old 30 October 2012, 10:09 AM
sammyb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
The Simtek needs the upgrade to Alcatek spec to enable the Toucan.
Yes, it's taking a while, but there's been a hell of a lot of work going on and the situation should improve soon. Having thoroughly tested the new system in its entirety, we can say it's superb, and worth the wait.
think its odds on that I will be back down with you guys soon. Was just curious as to any peoples views that have got them, and are using them.
Old 31 October 2012, 07:34 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

I would like to know exactly how long for my updates ? At least a return call would be good ! I had a new Alcatek ecu spec specifically to my mods and need some important updates !! A simple email or return call would be nice !!
Old 31 October 2012, 07:36 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you try ringing us and giving me some details and I'll see what I can do.
Old 31 October 2012, 07:52 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Why don't you try ringing us and giving me some details and I'll see what I can do.

You have a message
Old 31 October 2012, 10:26 PM
stewart1397
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

just found out today after being abit keen with the throttle from cold that the update also has engine coolant temp warm up limiter to protect the engine from numnuts like myself thanks martyn
Old 31 October 2012, 11:09 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by stewart1397
just found out today after being abit keen with the throttle from cold that the update also has engine coolant temp warm up limiter to protect the engine from numnuts like myself thanks martyn
It's like a spy lurking in your motor mate..

If only we could do it remotely as well!

(Scene in Enginetuner control room)
"Stewart's ragging his car again Martyn!"
"OK Dad, I'll just back his boost off a tad" tap-tap.. Enter..

Old 01 November 2012, 12:31 AM
stewart1397
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
It's like a spy lurking in your motor mate..

If only we could do it remotely as well!

(Scene in Enginetuner control room)
"Stewart's ragging his car again Martyn!"
"OK Dad, I'll just back his boost off a tad" tap-tap.. Enter..

it was abit like that,i live right on a dual carriageway and so easy to get carried away