ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

BRZ Test Drive.

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2012, 03:51 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRZ Test Drive.

Taking a BRZ for a spin (not literally I hope) on Friday, not planning on buying one (although my missus is pretty keen for me to get one) but interested to see what they drive like.

I'll take a few pics and let you know how I get on
Old 25 July 2012, 04:23 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to stay away from test driving one of these as i just know i'll be desperate for one if i drive it Might well replace the missus MK3 MX5 with one of these in 18months though...
Old 25 July 2012, 05:16 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Do you just call a local dealership and ask for a test drive?
Old 25 July 2012, 07:43 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Yup as easy as that. Although not many steelers seems to have them at the moment, the one I'm testing is on loan from another forecourt for a few days.
Old 25 July 2012, 08:22 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Kedlestone;10722952] not planning on buying one (although my missus is)

Famous last words.
Old 25 July 2012, 08:33 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Why do you think I'm doing it whilst she's working out of the the country
Old 27 July 2012, 11:59 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

So gave the dealer a call before I was leaving the house and wouldnt you know he got the dates mixed up! He meant to say the 27th of August not July! O well time to find some b roads.
Old 27 July 2012, 06:42 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Do you just call a local dealership and ask for a test drive?
Bell and Colville have got a demonstrator in Steve. I'm tempted to give them a call myself and arrange a test drive.
Old 28 July 2012, 11:38 AM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well those nice people at Subaru don`t do test drives , but the nice people at Toyota do - My local Toyota dealer have a nice looking white one . And perhaps I now know why. The BRZ/GT 86/FR-S from this moment forth will now be officially called = "The sports car with no engine". I actually have a Lawn Mower with more Grunt !. Beautifully screwed together , but , being polite I would sum it up as Frustrating & Disappointing. It is not a performance car by any stretch of the imagination. It may work as a soft top (if they choose to go that route ?) but it doesn`t as a coupe. A huge opportunity missed. Its just a gutless Hairdressers special as we all feared , totally underwhelmed. Give it another 100 BHP and 150 Torques and it may be fun. As it is the only use I would have for one would be as a fish tank.
Old 28 July 2012, 01:51 PM
scoobyman.matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CaptainJohn
Well those nice people at Subaru don`t do test drives , but the nice people at Toyota do - My local Toyota dealer have a nice looking white one . And perhaps I now know why. The BRZ/GT 86/FR-S from this moment forth will now be officially called = "The sports car with no engine". I actually have a Lawn Mower with more Grunt !. Beautifully screwed together , but , being polite I would sum it up as Frustrating & Disappointing. It is not a performance car by any stretch of the imagination. It may work as a soft top (if they choose to go that route ?) but it doesn`t as a coupe. A huge opportunity missed. Its just a gutless Hairdressers special as we all feared , totally underwhelmed. Give it another 100 BHP and 150 Torques and it may be fun. As it is the only use I would have for one would be as a fish tank.
So the only issue is power?? How was the chassis and all the other drving dynamics.
I was seriously considering one and the power issue can be sorted out easy enough surely? hmm
Old 28 July 2012, 02:10 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

my local dealersip has one,but its a non running thing to look at.....toyota now do a 40 grand version..with the same puny power output....toyota also give a better warranty than subaru
Old 28 July 2012, 02:40 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobyman.matt
So the only issue is power?? How was the chassis and all the other drving dynamics.
I was seriously considering one and the power issue can be sorted out easy enough surely? hmm
Surely given Subaru's history and heritage it should come out of the factory with at least 300bhp to cut any mustard in the current coupe market. Talk about going backwards. Why should you have to throw thousands at it just to give it the power it's chassis needs?
Old 28 July 2012, 05:47 PM
mikeyw
Scooby Regular

took one for a quick spin on friday - must confess, love how it looks, interior good too, and the handling was superb. Having jumped out of a CS400 into it, power was somewhat different!!!! under statement, but then, no turbo, so just a NA 2.0 - given that I thought it was a really engaging drive. Yes, it needs more power to be a car I would consider, but its a possible option when we change the Abarth 500. Give me an STI version with twice the power and thats a whole new ball game.
Old 28 July 2012, 08:34 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mikeyw
took one for a quick spin on friday - must confess, love how it looks, interior good too, and the handling was superb. .
Mike don't go back with your credit card in your wallet , or you'll max it

Originally Posted by mikeyw
Having jumped out of a CS400 into it, power was somewhat different!!!! under statement, but then, no turbo, so just a NA 2.0 - given that I thought it was a really engaging drive. Yes, it needs more power to be a car I would consider ...Give me an STI version with twice the power and thats a whole new ball game.
I'm more likely to buy a MX5 than the BRZ at th mo

The BRZ just needs 5 little things
  1. Underpowered (+40 to 50bhp with exhaust, induction and remap)
  2. Flappy paddle to long in first 3 gears(6mt but 6At with 300+bhp)
  3. Springs and Anti roll Bar
  4. 18" Wheels
  5. Brakes upgrade (Ok for road use..... just)

So £6k ontop makes it £32K so STi money so far TOOOO expensive,

Perhaps buy the basic car £20K and give Litcho £10K to fix it
IMHO

Tony
Old 28 July 2012, 08:51 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my report from 4weeks ago

BRZ test drive thanks to Newcastle Subaru

Well I was one of the lucky ones and had a test drive at Subaru newcastle last Thursday morning as they got it for a couple of days for customers

I went to see it a few weeks ago to see it in the showroom
Unfortunely it was a really wet day so didn't get much chance to really test it out properly
As the misses went with me we were given an hour for valuation it was based in north shields so not knowing any of the area we took it to Whitley bay rather then risk getting it into the proper countryside so I was stuck to 30/40 zones

It looks fantastic
Very low
And wider then you think
Inside it feels nice and not a claustrophobia as a Mazda mx5 or porsche boxster and that does make a pleasant difference
The seats are superb and really grip you but if your a bit fatter then me I'm 13-5 stone you might feel a bit tight
The misses loved the seats the dashboard is far higher quality plastics over my hatch and wagon I own a real plus this for Subaru the red stitching makes for a very classy envoronment to live in ,not quite the wow factor of a TT or Porsche but I was really impressed with it .

The one I had was a manuel with the push button starter which is a nice touch ,clutch in ,button press ,it feels something special and a nice quite buzz from the engine .
It has all the toys you require and was a lot nicer then our now sold 350z

Headroom was something I was worried about being 6 ft but it was great with another 6inch of head room and the misses did not complaine it was too low neither ,and interersting she didn't seem to feel much lower then my other subarus

Very notchy with a lovely feel gearbox so tight and close together and on the dash a number to see what gear I was in .
Despite no turbo it revs really quickly and once you are past 4k revs the noise is magnicifant not a flat four sound but just a roar which is addictive and makes you want to continue and change up through the gear box and will potter along in 5th gear

Never had a chance to get into 6th gear because if the town area mostly 3rd gear

Got to st marys lighthouse car park and when the better half went to the toilet did a few figure of eights and I could not get the back end out at all it was amazing and really quick despite not having a turbo the light weigh makes it feel really responsive
Tried a couple of corners and it seemed ok but being in the town and really wet I could not really put it through the paces properly

The misses did say she didn't feel thrown back into the seat like in my classic though .

The noise was super when you put the foot down so the radio would never be used
We had to get back to the garage and it was turning heads going through the town

Did I get the cheque book out ?

Delivery in red is 6months away so plenty of time to decide as I do need another test drive on the roads I know with proper corners to evaluate whether I can live with it or play it safe and get a STi with 4wd again as I know I can chuck it around at silly speeds and out the other side safely and I'm worried about fast progress in the rain and of course snow where I live at in the country the old awd against the safety of 4wd subaru at its best .

When I tested the classic and wrxd I decided instantly that I had to have the car but I could not decide instantly which does worry me and the misses did like the look of a plasma blue saloon and thought it might be better all round for the bad weather conditions we have and also a bit higher up too

So the jury's still out untill I see one with a massive rear wing in the flesh which might help me decide

Looks and a different style of car with a bit less power then I'm used to
Or
Play it safe with AWD which is what I have been used to for the last 12 years and looking at the sort of heavy rain we have nowadays maybe stick to the good old AWD

The toyota version has just arrived into Carlisle and I will try it out ona dry roads and day and on my familler roads where I live so I can get a more accurate view of what it's like