Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza 2.1 Stroker GTX30,Twinscroll,Single Scroll Stock location.

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2012, 08:17 AM
Alfalover
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza 2.1 Stroker GTX30,Twinscroll,Single Scroll Stock location.

Hi all,I have been lurking on this forum for some time before i decided to register and start a new thread.The only reason i decided to start it is because i couldnt find much information as much as i wanted.

I have an 04 Impreza Sti Jdm model which had an engine failure and at the moment it's being built as a 2.1 Stroker.Besides the 2.1 stroker the engine will still run stock jdm heads and the only mods i had done to date were the Twinscroll 3inch Milltek decat exhaust,3port boost selenoid,walbro pump,uprated actuator,pfr7b plugs and cosworth air filter.As i will be running a 2.1 stroker i am in need of a larger turbo than the vf37.I am looking to use the car for ocassionally track,a little more drag and mostly road use.My options are: to keep the stock location twinscroll setup and go with an MD321T Or V(or litchfield's equivalents),Go the rotated route and fit a GTX3076r turbo(GTX35 is out of the question as i was told that its a 'little' laggy on a 2.1 even with avcs),or go the single scroll route and fit a stock location Turbo(Can be found used and much easier/cheaper to find than a twinscroll).As far as costs the rotated setup will cost the same if not less than buying a twinscroll turbo big as an md321V(i will utilise my milltek downpipe just modify/weld the housing part).But im not worried about costs etc,im interested in having the best spool and possibly top end from such setup.Reason for this is because i've heard that there is not much of a difference(regarding spooling and top end) between a twinscroll setup and a single scroll both running stock location at 500bhp.And i dont know if its possible but i've been told that the rotated setup(with a gtx3076r 0.63 A/R) on a 2.1 stroker besides having a better top end, still spools faster than example an md321T or V(litchfield's included) in a stock twinscroll setup still on a 2.1.I dont know about this,that why i need your opinions.What do you guys think?.Thanks.
Old 04 June 2012, 09:01 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The best option without doubt would be to get a rotated kit and a Scoobyclinic Billet GT30. A 2.1 with AVSC heads and that turbo would spool amazingly well and make decent power without much effort.
The Litchfield turbo as fitted to Bob Rawle's car seem to make very good numbers, but I'd be curious as to what it'd be like on a smaller capacity engine ?
Old 04 June 2012, 09:08 AM
Alfalover
Scooby Newbie

Hi MartynJ thanks for your reply,I see what you mean,So in other words you think that the scoobyclinic billet gt30 will spool quicker than the md321T or md321V(equivalent to bob's lm500) even though in twinscroll configuration setup?Thanks
Old 04 June 2012, 09:33 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

MD321T billet works well. What power band/ limit you aiming for? ***** out or a little in reserve?
Old 04 June 2012, 09:42 AM
Alfalover
Scooby Newbie

Im looking to have a great balance of both that's why im not looking for something like a gt35.But if for example the md321T spools only a little better till 3000rpm than the gt30 gains from there till the top end that will be better for me as the car will rarely be at 3,000rpm when giving it some beans.

Last edited by Alfalover; 04 June 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04 June 2012, 09:02 PM
Alfalover
Scooby Newbie

Ok i decided to minimise my options,im not looking to go the single scroll route as i will need a different uppipe and a different or modified downpipe.So now my options are the md321V Billet twinscroll or the scoobyclinic billet gt30.Still confused on what should i do.I will be running an exedy clutch organic stage 1 as a twin plate costs as much as 4 stage 1 clutches and i think its better to have a 'weaker' clutch for some protection for the gearbox.

Last edited by Alfalover; 04 June 2012 at 09:05 PM.