ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

No power gain from a wrx to a sti uppipe and lighten balance flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2012, 01:25 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power gain from a wrx to a sti uppipe and lighten balance flywheel

I have a my 53 wrx running V power at 298bhp with mods, fuel pump,decat downpipe and cold feed induction kit. Mapped by duncan on scooby clinic rollers.
Now 12 month later i decided to change the uppipe to a sti uppipe as ive herd and read that it gives you abit more of an improvement and while also having a new clutch i had to have a new flywheel so i got a lighten balanced flywheel, thinking great i'll will do it and couldnt wait for the end result as it ran really well first time with the uppipe cat. But after it was mapped up the end result was 290bhp it felt that there was a improvement.
So today i looked at both graphs with the cat pipe and decat pipe and flywheel and to my amasement there is no difference in both and no show of improvement. So in my view i think its a waste of time and money changeing it.
Old 04 May 2012, 01:31 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

I had an 04 WRX running similar mods. The flywheel 'upgrade' was interesting - it certainly helped it to be a little more 'rev-happy' - but actually made it harder to drive (needed 5k to move on a slight incline...) - not that I cared much, but it also knackered the MPG even more
On reflection I would have stuck to the standard flywheel.
Old 04 May 2012, 01:31 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Lightened flywheel will mean it will accelerate quicker than a stock flywheel, so will be in driveability.
Again Up pipe I`m guessing its going to spool easier so when driving will be noticable.

But without more fuel and air your not going to go faster on a dyno, as all you`ve done is free up some wasted energy that was being used to spin heavier things. like fitting lightweight wheels, will have a different feel, but nothing major.

Driving feel is more important than chasing figures anyways.
Old 04 May 2012, 01:37 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flywheel wont give any bhp increase at all, as said above it makes the car rev more freely.
i have a lightened flywheel and i love it, revs much better.
Old 04 May 2012, 01:38 PM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

slopes of graphs would be different? but peaks the same?
Old 04 May 2012, 02:11 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

Yeah I had a lightened flywheel on my old car and tried to read up about its effects before I bought it although its actually some complicated physics involved as its not just the weight of the flywheel but how the weight is distributed relative to the centre also. I believe I found an online calculator that estimated the effect of the flywheel mass on performance in terms of the cars effective weight. In other words if you lightened the flywheel by x kgs it had the same effect as reducing the weight of the whole car by xkgs in 1st gear, xxkgs in 2nd gear etc. As the gear got higher the effect of the lighter flywheel got less, from memory it was something like a relative weight reduction of 50kg from the chassis in 1st gear on mine. The force required to turn the flywheel can be considered as part of the cars 'weight' I guess because like the chassis itself the flywheel is just another part the engine has to move to make the car go forward albeit in a rotational way. I didn't really understand it properly I dont think but thinking of it that way made me understand why the car felt a bit faster althought I hadn't added any bhp. Incidentally I DID feel a difference and liked it and therefore am planning on fitting another light one to my new car.
As for your figures I wonder what sort of tolerances the dyno's have? Also dont forget the car was a year older, we all get a bit slower as time goes on dont we!
Old 04 May 2012, 02:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Neither mod would be expected to effect the car's power output, but both will have differing effects on it's driveability.

Are you seeing earlier spool?

If that's what you want, speak to Harvey Smith about one of his trick up-pipes.
Old 04 May 2012, 05:04 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

http://www.4shared.com/photo/GzDMgr_8/STI_Uppipe.html

http://www.4shared.com/photo/HdoSuTqa/STI_Uppipe1.html

http://www.4shared.com/photo/JMwQGtqJ/WRX_Uppipe.html

http://www.4shared.com/photo/WDKAdxmC/WRX_Uppipe1.html

will reply back when ive got more time tonight
here are the graph
Old 04 May 2012, 05:17 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

wasnt this covered on Midlands scoobies ?
Old 04 May 2012, 05:21 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

you can see the torque peaks earlier but tbh i agree a waste of time having a remap just for one mod, you should have put a few things on together for a remap but if you did feel an improvement on the road thats what matters but trouble is soon forgotten once you get used to it.
Old 04 May 2012, 05:39 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If your still on the TD04 wrx turbo tour already running at its max. Sounds like you need a bigger turbo.
Old 04 May 2012, 07:28 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
wasnt this covered on Midlands scoobies ?
yep. just thought i would get info on here aswel