ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Thinking of buying a WRX STI.

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2012, 05:35 PM
Billythakidd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a WRX STI.

Hi all. Just wondering if you could provide me some advice, your help would be greatly appreciated.

I currently own an 06 plate Focus St with slight modifications, (exhaust, lowering springs etc).

Been after some extra power so have been looking at re-mapping, which will take my yearly insurance rate up to 887 pounds, (its is 726 as of the moment).

Had the car for 3 years, although I love it to bits I was looking at something different. I have just turned 24 and the insurance premiums on WRX STI's are now coming down to roughty 1000 pounds / year. Been looking at EVO 8's also, which have exactly the same premiums.

I only travel 5000 miles a year and probably put in 20 - 25 pounds a week fuel, (car is doing 21 - 25 mpg atm). The car is always serviced by my old man, (a mechanic) so servicing costs have been cheap due to just buying parts, (done every 12500 miles too).

What I wanted to know is, are the running costs of a 2005 / 2006 WRX STI going to be dramatically worse than those of the ST and would the performance over a remapped ST be a lot greater?

Thanks guys!
Old 28 April 2012, 06:22 PM
doormatty
Scooby Regular

i would say about the same running costs as your ST maybe a little less if you get a standard STI
Old 28 April 2012, 07:53 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome, most recon the st is slightly thirstier than a scoob, but that depends how you drive it.

You will have to change the oil more often and use something like millers, which is a minimal cost difference, filters are less than a tenner, id say every 4 months is a good idea.

But an sti running circa 300bhp will be a better drive than the focus and with a little tweek will blow it into the weeds mapped or not, just changing the boost solenoid and remap will see circa 340bhp, change the turbo to an sc46 and you will be running above 450bhp without any worries, so you will have a more future proof car if you decide you need more power.
Old 28 April 2012, 08:05 PM
MichaelB
Scooby Regular

The ST is horrendous on fuel for what it is. I've had one. The scoob will be slightly better (probably not noticeable) but Scoob is a far better driving experience
Old 28 April 2012, 08:09 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MichaelB
The ST is horrendous on fuel for what it is. I've had one. The scoob will be slightly better (probably not noticeable) but Scoob is a far better driving experience
sti will not be better than 21 to 25 mpg and if anything worse, but awd is a far better driving experience.
Old 16 March 2013, 12:42 AM
Billythakidd
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MichaelB
I concur. I love my St, don't get me wrong, but I do think it guzzles the juice and I would rather have more power if I am going to pay for those fuel bills. 225 bhp doesn't cut it any more sadly! Going to look at a P1 tomorrow, as a project, but it does need a new engine and engine harness. Could be interesting...

Thanks for the advice all, and sorry in my delay in getting back to you all.
Old 16 March 2013, 01:54 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy thread revival your only 11 months late
Old 16 March 2013, 04:34 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Billythakidd
I concur. I love my St, don't get me wrong, but I do think it guzzles the juice and I would rather have more power if I am going to pay for those fuel bills. 225 bhp doesn't cut it any more sadly! Going to look at a P1 tomorrow, as a project, but it does need a new engine and engine harness. Could be interesting...

Thanks for the advice all, and sorry in my delay in getting back to you all.

please PM me how you get on, i could use a blue shell myself