Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

vf43 on type r

Old 08 July 2011, 06:41 PM
  #1  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vf43 on type r

hi,was wondering what sort of results in power and torque i would see with fitting a vf43 to...
jdm sti 8 short block
ver 4 sti type r heads
h&sports cat downpipe
h&s backbox
440 inj
walbro
apexi power fc
3 port b/s
oe sti 4 top mount.
exedy pink lateral clutch and flywheel
car is a 98 sti type r.
it has the original 752 dccd box.
thanks.

Last edited by 99greenwagon; 08 July 2011 at 06:45 PM.
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 08 July 2011, 06:44 PM
  #2  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

also....how will it compare to my vf24? spool etc?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 08 July 2011, 07:52 PM
  #3  
Carlh
Scooby Regular
 
Carlh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Telford
Posts: 2,757
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

ive got a 43, its tuned to 312hp coz of my gearbox but i think it'll go to 360 and you've got better mods than me , unless you've got the stock gearbox, in which case it'll be maxxed out. i dont know about vf24's tho bud
Carlh is offline  
Old 08 July 2011, 08:00 PM
  #4  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Carlh View Post
ive got a 43, its tuned to 312hp coz of my gearbox but i think it'll go to 360 and you've got better mods than me , unless you've got the stock gearbox, in which case it'll be maxxed out. i dont know about vf24's tho bud
i have the oe ty752 dccd short ratio type r box.
ive heard people running good power on these.ive also heard they break!

my vf 24 will make 300-320 so im trying to find out wether it will be worthwhile upgrading turbo and mapping to about 320-330,then maybe later fit slightly bigger injectors and better intercooler and map to about 350.

can anyone else hazard a guess at what my car would make with above spec?
i might even keep the vf24 yet depending on what the benefits of the vf43 will be.
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 08 July 2011, 11:04 PM
  #5  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

anyone?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 12:06 AM
  #6  
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (23)
 
The Pink Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ...
Posts: 6,703
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Pretty sure the VF43 is capable of 360-380bhp unless i`m gettin mixed up with the 48,I would say limiting factors are injectors, Whatever they are capable of pushing out would be your limit with the mods you have, Would probablly upgrade intercooler at some point too, Not sure on spool compared to the VF24 but would imagine its gonna be simaler if not a bit better,

Gaz.
The Pink Ninja is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 12:13 AM
  #7  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GAZ2293 View Post
Pretty sure the VF43 is capable of 360-380bhp unless i`m gettin mixed up with the 48,I would say limiting factors are injectors, Whatever they are capable of pushing out would be your limit with the mods you have, Would probablly upgrade intercooler at some point too, Not sure on spool compared to the VF24 but would imagine its gonna be simaler if not a bit better,

Gaz.
ok,do you know if the vf24 can do 320 bhp?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 12:33 AM
  #8  
Pramas
Scooby Regular
 
Pramas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 710
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

vf43 is more of about 350-360 turbo, some do make more though, most dont, if aiming for 380 or a little more, take a 20g stays within the power of oem pistons ( new 2.5ltr engine ofc )

Last edited by Pramas; 09 July 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Pramas is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 12:38 AM
  #9  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pramas View Post
vf43 is more of about 350-360 turbo, some do make more though, most dont, if aiming for 380 or a little more, take a 20g stays within the power of oem pistons ( new 2.5ltr engine ofc )
i need to think about my gearbox also,so was not intending to go above 340 ish.
is it a quick spooler on the 2ltr?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 12:46 AM
  #10  
Pramas
Scooby Regular
 
Pramas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 710
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon View Post
i need to think about my gearbox also,so was not intending to go above 340 ish.
is it a quick spooler on the 2ltr?
tbh on a 2.0ltr u would do hard to beat a sc36 or 18g for those power levels
Pramas is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 01:34 AM
  #11  
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living the dream
Posts: 13,610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If i were in your shoes with those mods i'd hang fire and get some 550 injectors at the very least, and i think you should get yourself a front mount to keep the intake temps down.

Then fit everything and go for 1 remap. then you will deffo see 350 and possibly more, you can always turn the boost down or even better map it on 95 ron that way you save 's on fuel and control the power levels so as to keep the gear box safe.

P.s the box should handle 350 all day long as it's one of the strongest standard 5 speeds if not the strongest, i was running 330 on mine at one point with no issues, wish i could say the same for the engine.

I also know of one that ran 500 and did not break, but thats the luck of the draw and some sympathetic driving.

ie no launches.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 09 July 2011 at 01:43 AM.
ditchmyster is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 08:26 AM
  #12  
dynamix
RaceDynamix Ecu Remapping
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: near you
Posts: 9,708
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

approx 340bhp on that spec. Injectors will be at their limit though so worth gettiong some 550cc in there
dynamix is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 10:25 AM
  #13  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dynamix View Post
approx 340bhp on that spec. Injectors will be at their limit though so worth gettiong some 550cc in there
i would be happy to map to 330 tops and leave 440s in there for a minute as im a little worried about gearbox,to map to 320-330 on a vf43 would it be really laggy compared to the vf24?
what is the vf24 capable of?and will the oe top mount cope with 330?
thanks dynamix.
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 10:30 AM
  #14  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ditchmyster View Post
If i were in your shoes with those mods i'd hang fire and get some 550 injectors at the very least, and i think you should get yourself a front mount to keep the intake temps down.

Then fit everything and go for 1 remap. then you will deffo see 350 and possibly more, you can always turn the boost down or even better map it on 95 ron that way you save 's on fuel and control the power levels so as to keep the gear box safe.

P.s the box should handle 350 all day long as it's one of the strongest standard 5 speeds if not the strongest, i was running 330 on mine at one point with no issues, wish i could say the same for the engine.

I also know of one that ran 500 and did not break, but thats the luck of the draw and some sympathetic driving.

ie no launches.

ok thanks,because of the cost of my engine build i may have to leave the injectors and front mount,(for now anyway).
just trying to see wether its worth upgrading the turbo now and wether its a worth while investment and an overall better turbo than the 13 year old vf24?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 12:44 PM
  #15  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

can anyone else comment on this?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 01:33 PM
  #16  
ad uk
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
ad uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: breaking 420 bhp high spec classic
Posts: 1,735
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

i may have a 20g for grabs mate if you want that route 400bhp turbo
ad uk is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 02:26 PM
  #17  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

sorry,not going that far.thanks anyway.
any more info on this guys?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 02:58 PM
  #18  
jura11
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
jura11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: www.slowboy-racing.co.uk
Posts: 10,523
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This turbo VF43 is great upgrade for Type R and with your injectors as said Duncan,you will need 550's at least.


Jura
jura11 is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 03:02 PM
  #19  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jura11 View Post
This turbo VF43 is great upgrade for Type R and with your injectors as said Duncan,you will need 550's at least.


Jura
can the vf43 be run with 440s?
to about 330 ish?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 03:03 PM
  #20  
Maz
Scooby Senior
iTrader: (34)
 
Maz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkshire.
Posts: 15,885
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If you're not upgrading injectors and intercooler it's a moot point going for a VF43. You will be better off sticking with the 24, it's a good turbo and as long as it's not smoking or whining (sounds like the wife lol) it will be okay for the upgrade planned. It's well suited to the type r ratios and although wont run big boost it is very driveable.
Maz is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 03:08 PM
  #21  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Einstein RA View Post
If you're not upgrading injectors and intercooler it's a moot point going for a VF43. You will be better off sticking with the 24, it's a good turbo and as long as it's not smoking or whining (sounds like the wife lol) it will be okay for the upgrade planned. It's well suited to the type r ratios and although wont run big boost it is very driveable.
i was possibly thinking to upgrade inj and ic at a later date as funds dont allow at the moment.i would not want to max out the vf43 as it will probably break my gearbox,so my options are...
1. keep the 13 year old vf34 and run say 310?
2.upgrade to vf43 and run around 320-340 with scope for 350 in the future.
what do i do?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 09 July 2011, 03:22 PM
  #22  
jura11
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
jura11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: www.slowboy-racing.co.uk
Posts: 10,523
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon View Post
can the vf43 be run with 440s?
to about 330 ish?
Yes will be OK with this BHP,but i would suggest also FPR,if you could get..



Jura
jura11 is offline  
Old 10 July 2011, 12:22 PM
  #23  
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
JdcTypeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In my car
Posts: 1,409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon View Post
ok,do you know if the vf24 can do 320 bhp?
My vf24 was mapped to 319.6 bhp
JdcTypeR is offline  
Old 10 July 2011, 12:30 PM
  #24  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdc1 View Post
My vf24 was mapped to 319.6 bhp
what mods mate?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 10 July 2011, 01:07 PM
  #25  
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
JdcTypeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In my car
Posts: 1,409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon View Post
what mods mate?
Everything standard other than a green panel filter, full decat system, walbro fuelpump and a fpr and apexi pfc.
JdcTypeR is offline  
Old 10 July 2011, 01:10 PM
  #26  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdc1 View Post
Everything standard other than a green panel filter, full decat system, walbro fuelpump and a fpr and apexi pfc.
what was the torque figure?
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 10 July 2011, 01:18 PM
  #27  
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
JdcTypeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In my car
Posts: 1,409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon View Post
what was the torque figure?
Torque was a touch over 300lbsft
JdcTypeR is offline  
Old 10 July 2011, 01:20 PM
  #28  
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
JdcTypeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In my car
Posts: 1,409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Forgot to add that i had also ported my standard headers and uppipe aswell but cant comment on wether that helped or not
JdcTypeR is offline  
Old 10 July 2011, 01:21 PM
  #29  
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (39)
 
99greenwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,870
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdc1 View Post
Forgot to add that i had also ported my standard headers and uppipe aswell but cant comment on wether that helped or not
thanks for the info.
99greenwagon is offline  
Old 10 July 2011, 01:22 PM
  #30  
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (19)
 
JdcTypeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In my car
Posts: 1,409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

No worries mate
JdcTypeR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vf43 on type r


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.