Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

ICE - ICE - Baby!!!

Old 19 December 1999, 06:50 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surrey is covered in snow and ice - first time ever I've had the chance to see what my car can do in these conditions - even found myself deliberately seeking out the icy patches to test the car and my self - oh what a wonderful day I've had.

PS I'm calm !
Old 19 December 1999, 08:18 PM
Raz
Scooby Regular

Sheesh woman drivers
Old 19 December 1999, 08:39 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hey Penni.

Just you be careful, ice = no grip (or as good as), and ice under 4 wheels will still equal no grip, which is OK in a straight line but not so good if there is a bend in the road.

Mike.
Old 19 December 1999, 08:47 PM
ChrisB

Indeed,

The cold weather is due to continue for a couple of days. Lots of (Black) Ice out and about - take care folks.

Even 4WD isn't immune to the slippery stuff.

Chris.
Old 19 December 1999, 09:12 PM
AndrewP
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Plus of course 4WD doesn't mean you can stop any better!
Old 19 December 1999, 09:40 PM
TonyB
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but you can have the most fun in relative safety in the snow - as long as you check that there is no-one else around to hit and nothing solid to encounter, you can learn a huge amount with maximum grin factor.

You do not need lots of power - my best snowey experience was in an ancient Renault4, which has a handbrake operating the front wheels, so no handbrake turns. You had to use left foot braking and lots (all) of power to provoke the slides. Max fun!

I've not had a chance to play in the Scooby, but my advice is - go for it Penni!

Old 19 December 1999, 10:53 PM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I Totally agree, Penni...

Find a snowy car park and drive round and round in circles... fantastic fun!

Very educational. You get to learn about what the car feels like when it's about to start sliding. Which (hopefully) means you'll be able to detect it more easily when it happens unexpectedly --> giving you a better chance of catching a slide in time.

Make sure nobody's watching, though, 'coz it looks *very* odd!!!

Unfortunately up here in Glasgow we've only got frost and ice (no snow)... so it's "gently, gently" for now...

Cameron
Old 19 December 1999, 10:58 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression it was totally impossible to put a Scoob into a slide of any kind - having been told this by people in the know and after my skid pan - told it was impossible ... now you guys are telling me it is - oh my gawd !!! if you could of seen me today (what's the expression - ignorance is bliss....!)

For the record - I was not driving in any way shape or form to put anyone or anything in any kind of danger (before the lectures start!) I would never do that - except the Impreza driver in Guildford the other night if I ever see him again - TIE ME DOWN!!!!
Old 20 December 1999, 01:07 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Last year a couple of mates and I conducted some experiments (all in the name of science, of course) in a big snowy car park with the Scoob, a UR quattro and a borrowed grannies' Micra.
Result, compared to the Micra, the Scoob and quattro are complete w@nk in the snow. Reason, big flat tires and also for cornering stability I don't think the rear wheels help by pushing the car. Ok initial traction in the 4WD cars was better but on a very snowy back road a Micra will leave you Scoob standing (unless you are Richard Burns or you've got 4 space saver-sized wheels).

Of course it's possible we weren't driving in the right style.

PS With the car facing straight ahead, I floored it and managed to do a 720 degree spin Next time, I think I'll find an even bigger car park......
Old 20 December 1999, 01:08 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Penni,

Just remember, as a certain "engineer" used to say, "She cannee break the laws of physics!".

Which people "in the know" told you scoobies don't slide? Maybe you could perscribe them a large dose of Rally videos!

Oh, if you liked the snow, you will love a Don Palmer day at MIRA, much more fun then boring old dry trackdays!

Moray
Old 20 December 1999, 03:57 PM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Miles: I guarantee you that any four wheel drive car is faster than any front or rear wheel driven car in snowy or icy conditions, from a standing start, that is.
Last winter when I had my old car (Audi A3) my friend in his Celica left me spinning at all the traffic lights in town.
I don't know, what or if you did anything wrong, but the result is totally untrue. Perhaps you gave them too much revs which left the 4WD cars spinning while the Micra did not spin and left you?

P.S. Has anyone tried doing donuts? If you come across I empty spot, do a handbrake turn and start applying power (first gear) if done properly you should start spinning round, in place. Very nice, can also be done in the summer!
Old 20 December 1999, 04:49 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Penni,

Be VERY careful. Your Scoob will slip and slide thye same as ANYTHING else on ice.

4WD will really only give you more traction in a straight line. (It will help pull you out of a 4 wheel drift, but that sort of thing is best for private ground only)

Oge,

Unless your Scoob has an adjustable diff, you will find it almost impossible to do doughnuts in a 4wd car.

D.
(Still trying to figure if I knew Penni in this or another life )
Old 20 December 1999, 05:31 PM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Wink

Diablo, maybe donut is not the appropriate term, but I guarantee you the thing I mean is very easy, I do it very often. I you ever come to Finland at wintertime I'll be glad to show you!
Old 20 December 1999, 05:44 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oge,

Being in finland in wintertime makes a bit of a difference

D.
Old 20 December 1999, 05:50 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have any of you guys tried Bridgestone Blizzaks? They are amazing on ice and packed snow. Not so good for loose powder snow. We used them on the Thunderbird Rally in Canada last year.

Driving on a freeway covered in ice was like driving on a dry road. The abs didn't even engage under a really hard stop from 50/60 mph. The car just stopped straight and true.

Richard

Old 20 December 1999, 05:51 PM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Cool

Diablo

It sure does, for good and for bad, sometimes really bad!
Old 20 December 1999, 08:14 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Penni,

Careful what you say...most of the male nutters on here might take delight at the "TIE ME DOWN" offer
Old 20 December 1999, 09:07 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Wink

Okay okay, so today I drove safely (but still faster than any other 'b' on the road) still loads of fun down here. My car despite what you say is road hogging - stable- 'ice - did you say ice - what's that!!!!' she's cool....

I only tie people up when I'm mad !!!

Come on Mr.'D' the suspense is killing me - you are someone I knew in another life aren't you?????? 'Dark' mysterious and with banking affiliations!!!????
YFOW!
kkk
P
Old 21 December 1999, 12:21 AM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Jonas, that is exactly what I was talking about, have you tried doing it with an handbrake turn? Just gather a bit of speed, do a handbrake turn and start applying power and spin around!
Old 21 December 1999, 07:33 AM
Jonas Hedvall
Scooby Regular

Cool

Speaking of donuts...
Last night on an ice/snow covered empty parking lot, I was able to perform some very fantastic donuts!

I managed to get the car spinning around its own center axis - that is spinning in a circle with a diameter no longer than the car itself - That is cool! I kept spinning in this perfect circle for about 30 seconds, at a high rate of rotation! felt a bit dizzy afterwards Could have held it for ages, but wanted to be nice to the tires

The trick is to be stationary, turn the wheel about half way, get the revs up to about 4000 and let the clutch out quickly. All 4 wheels will spin immediately and send you into a crazy rotation!Then make sure you keep the revs high to keep all tires spinning!

And, I did this on studless winter tires, so if you are running on summer tires, it should be even easier!

Cheers,

Jonas
Old 21 December 1999, 08:40 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Penni,

Dark ? - could be, depends on the context
Mysterious ? - only way to be
Banking affiliations? - hmmm in a round about sort of way.

But I'm sorry to disapoint you in that I've never been the one thrown off the BBS for misconduct if that's what you're getting at, (assuming he has really gone at all)

LOL

D.

ps what does "YFOW" stand for? The only thing I can think of couldn't be printed here!!!
Old 21 December 1999, 02:38 PM
Jonas Hedvall
Scooby Regular

Oge,

I did not try your approach yet. Just from a standstill, as I described. I'll try your approach one of these day.

Fun, isn't it? The 4WD helps you spin in such a tight circle...not possible in a Front or rear wheel drive car.

Jonas
Old 21 December 1999, 04:31 PM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jonas

It sure is a h*ll of a lot of fun!
Old 21 December 1999, 04:54 PM
brumster
Scooby Regular

I've seen old Mr.McRae doing one of those at the Autosports show at the NEC - on dry but very slippy indoor surface. The WRC car does it with a lot more style, naturally - faster, noiser, with a lot more smoke.

To be honest, I could have sworn I read somewhere that it's not possible to do with the road cars due to the non-ltd'slip front diff. I guess an STi may do it though - is that what you have? Never tried when I had my UK spec car; I missed all the snow!

Still, it is quite an amusing sight!
Old 21 December 1999, 10:12 PM
Oge
Scooby Regular

Brumster

I live in Finland and we use LHD cars, which makes STI/WRX models unavailable.So my car is perfectly normal, except for Prodrive PP. I don't know if the UK spec is different from the ones here, but I doubt it. So it is possible to do it, since I just recently got my car I haven't been able to try it out in dry circumstances. But since my friends Celica GT-4 can do it I'm sure my Scooby is up to it too.
Old 22 December 1999, 07:21 AM
Jonas Hedvall
Scooby Regular

Talking

Brumster,

My car is a standard MY99 Turbo, with scoobysport backbox.

Jonas