ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Oncoming gatso flash!

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2011, 11:48 AM
Staninator
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oncoming gatso flash!

Hmmmm, not happy... I was flashed by a gatso doing 35 in a 30 this morning, but I was travelling towards it. I didn't think that usually happened, I thought you had to be travelling away from the camera for it to get you.

Anyone had any experience of this? Was definitely a gatso as it had the rectangular lens cover and had lots of calibration lines on the road.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:54 AM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

All it does is flash as a warning. You can't (or couldn't - don't think thats changed) be done for it. Those cameras were set up to take a pic of the rear of the car and calibrated for movement away from them.
If in doubt check with Peppipoo.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:56 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were travelling towards it, so don't worry about it then.
Old 22 February 2011, 12:48 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

As a goodwill gesture, send £60 to your council and think yourself lucky to have got away without any points
Old 22 February 2011, 01:05 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

yeah doesnt count if travelling towards it
Old 22 February 2011, 01:06 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I've been flashed a few times going to wards them, you've got nothing to worry about
Old 22 February 2011, 02:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've never been flashed by one on the other side of the road, but once got a double flash from one set up to photograph people jumping a level crossing. The barriers were up, no lights, but I DID cross at a silly speed.

Never heard owt though.
Old 22 February 2011, 02:58 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Have you stopped to think it maybe a front facing camera??? I mean what is the point in putting a camera up that just flashes at you? And yes you do have front facing cameras in england before you all jump up screaming and shouting that you don't.

The cameras we have here and across mainland europe are mainly front facing and scare the **** out of you when you driving along in the dark and they go off in your face.
Old 22 February 2011, 03:06 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Ive done this loads of times in my local village. Just pop a mirror over the white line (if the road is clear) and wait for the flash. Probably done this around 20 times now and not heard off anyone. Just wastes the film
Old 22 February 2011, 03:56 PM
greg320
Scooby Regular

^^it doesnt register on film,when you trigger it from the other direction,the truvelo's are the forward facing camera's and you dont see them flash.
Old 22 February 2011, 03:58 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Gatso's shouldnt flash at oncoming traffic, as it's deemed a safety issue... that's what the Truvelo's are for.

Personally i'd send the local Camera Safety Partnership a stern letter and fine them £60...
Old 22 February 2011, 04:41 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

My father got caught by a front facing camera. I was with him at the time, and told him not to worry as ' they can't get you ', well It did get him. £60 and three points, lol.
Most of the cameras you see are only able to get you when traveling away from it but there are a few that will get you as you approach it. There's one on the A14 near Huntingdon for example.
Old 22 February 2011, 05:08 PM
Staninator
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
My father got caught by a front facing camera. I was with him at the time, and told him not to worry as ' they can't get you ', well It did get him. £60 and three points, lol.
Most of the cameras you see are only able to get you when traveling away from it but there are a few that will get you as you approach it. There's one on the A14 near Huntingdon for example.
Was it a Gatso? Because I'm kinda hoping that I won't get stung because of this.

The way always thought it worked was a Gatso will only get done if you're travelling away from it. And these usually have multiple lines in the road.

The Truvelo cameras usually have one long line (or at least a few tightly packed lines in one strip) and these are the ones that do you when oncoming.

Fingers crossed that I don't hear anything... tbh I'd like to just know!

Either way, I'll let you guys know should something drop through the letterbox.
Old 22 February 2011, 05:14 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983

the ones on the a14 are average speed ones
Old 22 February 2011, 07:12 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Interesting reading but personally if I saw a flash from front I would brick it. I thought they had to prove who was driving the car before issuing a ticket and thats why they have front facing ones.

If you hear nothing after 6months you should be safe.

As for the film running out - I thought they were all digital now and as soon as your flashed there is someone reviewing the case and posting it out.
Old 22 February 2011, 07:31 PM
lovinmescoob
Scooby Regular

A mate got done by a front facing camera, he swore blind he wasn't speeding so went round again at 25mph got flashed again, went to talk to plod who told him it was a seatbelt camera and whilst he'd not been speeding he did get fined twice for not wearing his belt !!!
Old 22 February 2011, 07:39 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DaOne
the ones on the a14 are average speed ones

Yes I know the A 14 has average speed cameras buddy, the front facing camera is on the west bound carrageway near Huntingdon services.
I'm quite aware of the difference between average cameras and gatso cameras buddy, lol.
Old 02 February 2012, 04:28 PM
Karl Child
Scooby Newbie

Default Speed camera project

Hieveryone,

I'mcurrently in the process of putting together a project which involvescollecting and studying photographs taken by speed cameras.

Researchtells me that photographs are sent to the drivers upon request and I am postingto ask if there is anyone who would like to get involved in my project besending me their speeding photograph along with giving me a few details.

Iam hoping that the body of work I am building up will eventually be exhibitedand for these reasons all rights of the photos will be passed to me upon theimages being sent to me.

Iappreciate anyone’s help in this project and if you know anyone who would liketo be involved it would be great if you can pass on these details.

Ifyou want to get involved please contact me at tamariki10@gmail.com I wouldaccept photos and details via email or if you’re happy to post me originaldocuments I can give you an address upon request.

Ilook forward to your replies,

Karl.
Old 02 February 2012, 05:02 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Hmmm strange 1st post ?????
Old 02 February 2012, 05:14 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What project, what's the basis and hopeful outcome, hypothesis?, why do you need the photo's and details of other peoples cars. Generally, wtf?

Surprised you didn't ask for a home address, where the keys are stored over night and when we'd be out of an evening leaving the car at home. Call me paranoid......

Originally Posted by Karl Child
Hieveryone,

I'mcurrently in the process of putting together a project which involvescollecting and studying photographs taken by speed cameras.

Researchtells me that photographs are sent to the drivers upon request and I am postingto ask if there is anyone who would like to get involved in my project besending me their speeding photograph along with giving me a few details.

Iam hoping that the body of work I am building up will eventually be exhibitedand for these reasons all rights of the photos will be passed to me upon theimages being sent to me.

Iappreciate anyone’s help in this project and if you know anyone who would liketo be involved it would be great if you can pass on these details.

Ifyou want to get involved please contact me at tamariki10@gmail.com I wouldaccept photos and details via email or if you’re happy to post me originaldocuments I can give you an address upon request.

Ilook forward to your replies,

Karl.
Old 02 February 2012, 05:16 PM
Karl Child
Scooby Newbie

Well I have no other reason to post on this forum if I'm honest.... I'm simply asking for the help of the members of the forum to build up my project/experiment. I'm looking to find patterns in the photographs I receive from different people around the country and hopefully I will create a large photographic body of work by the end of it.
Old 02 February 2012, 05:21 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

So, like I asked, what's the project/experiment? Maybe you'd get more trust from people with more answers. If you are just trying to get a load of pictures of cars, then go photograph some in public to build your portfolio, it'll be a lot quicker!

A photographic body of work would be the obvious end result if you are asking for photo's of peoples cars but you've been incredibly vague in what these are actually for and why you need them from people after being caught on Gatso's.

What was the response like when you asked on Pistonheads, as I see there's an identical post there.

Well I have no other reason to post on this forum if I'm honest.... I'm simply asking for the help of the members of the forum to build up my project/experiment. I'm looking to find patterns in the photographs I receive from different people around the country and hopefully I will create a large photographic body of work by the end of it.
Old 02 February 2012, 05:22 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
What project, what's the basis and hopeful outcome, hypothesis?, why do you need the photo's and details of other peoples cars. Generally, wtf?

Surprised you didn't ask for a home address, where the keys are stored over night and when we'd be out of an evening leaving the car at home. Call me paranoid......
Agreed.Very weird post.

Danny.
Old 02 February 2012, 05:24 PM
Karl Child
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Torquemada

That's funny...

I'm currently studying photography at university and I've been looking to start a project for a while now. The details I will be asking people will be things like how many people were in the car (I presume the numbers of people caught speeding whilst in the car on their own will be low) The name of the street where the camera is located/where they were caught and also the age of the driver.

Look at it as more of a survey if you will...

I'll also be looking at the photographs in more depth, looking at what the camera see's which will tell me what kind of area the government are placing the cameras, which will tell me if they are placing cameras to reduce speeding and save lives, or if in fact they're just placing them in locations they know they can catch people to make as much money as they can.

Does this make sense?
Old 02 February 2012, 05:26 PM
mestonian
Scooby Regular

If you want, i can give you my car and house keys, credit/debit card, all my personal details, i'll withdraw the money that's in my bank first and hand you that too, and obviously when i hand all these over they will become owned by you entirely. But, this is on the proviso that you reach 10 posts in total on scoobynet, otherwise i cant trust you.
Old 02 February 2012, 05:40 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Better but I think you'll struggle. If you're for real can't you just go to governmental road research agencies and see what they can do, these studies have been done before.

Personally, I only ever got done for speeding whilst on my own, as I'm not a child and don't get gee'd up by having passengers in the car, having passengers makes me slow down as I have a responsibility of care for them.

And back on topic, I've been flashed by a gatso from the front before and nothing happened as it was meant to capture photo's of cars speeding away from it.

That's funny...

I'm currently studying photography at university and I've been looking to start a project for a while now. The details I will be asking people will be things like how many people were in the car (I presume the numbers of people caught speeding whilst in the car on their own will be low) The name of the street where the camera is located/where they were caught and also the age of the driver.

Look at it as more of a survey if you will...

I'll also be looking at the photographs in more depth, looking at what the camera see's which will tell me what kind of area the government are placing the cameras, which will tell me if they are placing cameras to reduce speeding and save lives, or if in fact they're just placing them in locations they know they can catch people to make as much money as they can.

Does this make sense?
Old 02 February 2012, 05:53 PM
Staninator
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Staninator
Was it a Gatso? Because I'm kinda hoping that I won't get stung because of this.

The way always thought it worked was a Gatso will only get done if you're travelling away from it. And these usually have multiple lines in the road.

The Truvelo cameras usually have one long line (or at least a few tightly packed lines in one strip) and these are the ones that do you when oncoming.

Fingers crossed that I don't hear anything... tbh I'd like to just know!

Either way, I'll let you guys know should something drop through the letterbox.
Incidentally, didn't get done. Got away with it!
Old 02 February 2012, 05:54 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greg320
^^it doesnt register on film,when you trigger it from the other direction,the truvelo's are the forward facing camera's and you dont see them flash.
Truvelos flash purplish but they do flash (may only be low light) as I have set them off on my bike before
Old 02 February 2012, 06:01 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Staninator
Hmmmm, not happy... I was flashed by a gatso doing 35 in a 30 this morning, but I was travelling towards it. I didn't think that usually happened, I thought you had to be travelling away from the camera for it to get you.

Anyone had any experience of this? Was definitely a gatso as it had the rectangular lens cover and had lots of calibration lines on the road.
Which side of the road was it on? Like said above, it`s deemed a safety issue for a camera to flash at a driver on the same side of the road, obviously.
Old 02 February 2012, 06:06 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Which side of the road was it on? Like said above, it`s deemed a safety issue for a camera to flash at a driver on the same side of the road, obviously.
Except, it still flashes if a car coming towards you is speeding, and nobody crashes... bizarre.

Quick Reply: Oncoming gatso flash!