Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Who's Cancelling their STi Order

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2002, 10:53 AM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the news of the re-style... is anyone actually going to go ahead and keep their order in place? Not me! - Depreciation Disaster is what will apprear next to this Scoob in future Autocar verdicts!
Old 13 April 2002, 10:57 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Not cancelling an order, but holding off placing one. As my wife keeps pointing out, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my MY00, so I'm just going to wait and see what comes along.

I'm waiting to see if an official performance package comes along too - 265bhp in a car that's heavier than mine (dyno'd at 255bhp) doesn't sound like much of an improvement, if any.

I quite fancy the sound of the rumoured new SVX too...

A.
Old 13 April 2002, 11:00 AM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Quite agree...my bro and I both have 00 Turbos...and they are great. This restyle news has made us agree that we will not give Subaru £52000 to convert to £25000 in two years! - This Sti is going to nosedive even more spectacularly than the P1.

Anyone getting an Sti in July (as we were) will only enjoy being in the new model for around 2-3 months WOW!!!! Thanks Subaru
Old 13 April 2002, 11:05 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I d'ont agree.The facelift can only be subtle due to the costs involved,probably bolt on bits like lights,extra front spoiler etc.If there is going to be a major restyle in 2006(as that article seems to think) they c'ant afford another one know can they?
Old 13 April 2002, 11:22 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Well, each to their own, but you guys are missing out on a treat - the STi is light years better than a MY00 or a modded WRX - and as you know, i've had both.

Live fast, die poor
Old 13 April 2002, 11:26 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

BTW, before this one kicks off, that wasn't a "my car is better than your car comment".......

Tomorrow never comes - when it gets here, it's today
Old 13 April 2002, 11:28 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

What if the face lift is worse?

Buy the car you want/need now, not on the promise of something better around the corner.

Old 13 April 2002, 11:33 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

The Scooby might be getting a very mild facelift, as happens with mosts models as they go through their life. The facelift is still not confirmed.

To predict a deprecation disaster is pretty naive. Anyone with some gumption will realise that the STI is a very good medium term car.

You can on a PCP get a GUARANTEED residual of 45% of full list today. Most people have the ability to negotiate a discount, therefore reducing the WORST case loss over 3 year and 36000 miles to 50%. Maybe even better.

How many other cars can command that type of residual on a £26,000 car ?.

Seems to me its just a case of people trying to justify to themselves why they wont buy an STI. I certainly buy mine knowing what their future value will be. The futures bright the futures STI.

Jonathan
Old 13 April 2002, 11:47 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Smile

The car I need is one that will reliably get me to work and back evey day. Any car will do that. There are, of course, lots of cars that I want, of which the STI is still one despite the bug eyes.

For what it would cost me to trade up to an STI from my car, I could add a garage to my next house, or fully equip a decent home cinema, or even buy a new second car so that I can be a bit more selective about where I park the Scooby. All these things seem to me to be much better (ie. more rational) ways to spend the money.

Replacing my car now would be a decision made by the heart, not the head. It's more than likely to happen, of course, because I'm impulsive like that, but it'll need a car that I can really set my heart on before it does.

It's probably fair to point out that I made the decision to buy an Impreza about 5 seconds into my first test drive. That's how long it took me to release the handbrake, pull out and feel the turbo for the first time

It's also why I've NOT yet test driven the STI...

If I don't like the facelift, then I'll probably just buy a current shape STI off someone who does. Dave?

Andy.
Old 13 April 2002, 12:19 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Mr Deli, you could apply your argument to buying the MY00 when you knew the new shape was on its way. Or the P1 when the STI 7 was just round the corner or the EVO 7 when the EVO 8 comes out..... sure you are not being too hasty?
Old 13 April 2002, 01:24 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yeah mrdeli, why not shut up for 2 minutes.

Old 13 April 2002, 01:57 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I went to look at an STI a couple of weeks back. Seriously tempted but my MY00 is great just how I want it ie spent 18 months tweaking here and there and running in/loosening up. Its just reached serious smiles per mile status so I think next year. The money/residuals dont put me off just teh fact I am starting from scratch again

The only time impreza didnt depreciate was when there were import restrictions and 15 month waiting lists . I was offered 2K above list for my week old MY98 but what would have brought instead. If you want the car blow the residuals.

If residuals are a problem I also have also recently purchased a brand new 2001 Fiesta which has cost me less than the depreciation on my import in 18 months. I reckon I can run the Fiesta for 5 years and it will cost me 2.5K in depreciation (yes I got a healthy discount) not bad really www.ford.co.uk

cheers

chrisp
Old 13 April 2002, 04:05 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Would have thought that Euro STi's with(so I've been told by Keyring cars) a full 3 year pan euro Subaru warranty will have the most effect on residuals.They are delivered at £21500(no tracker) at recent Yen rates.Minor facelift seems irrelevant in the face of this.
Old 13 April 2002, 04:29 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Andy,
I'm waiting to see if an official performance package comes along too - 265bhp in a car that's heavier than mine (dyno'd at 255bhp) doesn't sound like much of an improvement, if any.
The figures alone don't really tell you much of the story though m8

I've got an STi on order and I dearly love my MY00 which currently has Eibachs, Bump Steer, Anti-Lift, AP4 pots, PPP BB and Dawes running 244bhp 247ft-lbs. Whilst on paper the STi has 261bhp, it feels faster than that would suggest, considering the extra 200kg but bear in mind that the new STi has a new gearbox and new drivtrain and it looks like the drivetrain losses are somewhere in the region of about 80bhp. The old car has something like 100bhp loss in the DT so the extra weight is pretty much offset by the improvement in DT efficiency.

The other thing that the stats on paper don't mention is how much better it handles with the 250% stiffer body, the front and rear LSD's, the good brakes, the luurrrvvvly quicker steering, the new six speed gearbox, the improved refinement.......

And that's before you put a full decat, springs and bushes. It handles as well if not better than my car now as standard and I've been in one with a full decat, Eibachs and anti-roll bar and it was in another dimension to my car!!!!!

I'm convinced (and I said I'd never buy the new shape ) and I think for good reason. I doubt many people who don't think they want one would hold that same opinion after having driven one....

Matt
Old 13 April 2002, 04:30 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

P.S. Prodrive are bringing out a PPP for the STi shortly and I would expect it to have in the region of 300bhp.......

Matt
Old 13 April 2002, 04:31 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

DS

Won't make any difference to UK STi residuals - particularly not Prodrive Style cars.

The For Sale section has proved that the imports that ask UK money don't sell.

Try telling that to someone that has an import and wants to sell it for UK money though.....
Old 13 April 2002, 04:46 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Matt

I cross posted with you, that comment about imports wasn't directed at you mate
Old 13 April 2002, 04:47 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

PPP, watch this space....registered our intent some time ago....
Old 13 April 2002, 04:54 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

May I plse ask, what article is this that we're talking about? Which magazine did it appear in?

Tks.
Old 13 April 2002, 05:02 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I think an article appeared in the Sydney Herald about a windscreen forward revamp in early 2003

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=87103

[Edited by chrisp - 4/13/2002 5:04:01 PM]
Old 13 April 2002, 05:27 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

So, you hang on for the 2003 model. Of course after you have bought it, they will announce that further improvements will be made for the 2004 model, and so on. My suggestion to you would be - don't buy one at all, then you can never be disappointed when the new model appears in the showroom.

Anyone who posts here has some form of computer. With Intel's and AMD's continual upgrades of processors if you took the same attitude to computers as to cars you would still be using a Sinclair! You have to make a choice at some point.

Who cares about facelifts, for goodness sake it is a very fast, well built, nice looking (personal view) Scoob that is one h*ll of a hoot to drive. What more do you want?

Ken
Old 13 April 2002, 06:38 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

hear hear Ken,

I've been dreaming / saving for about 7 years for my first scoob and finally went for it with an order (arrives in a couple of months). I had to put up with the old / new model changeover and can see the benefits of the new one as well as the looks.

You've just got to say sod it and take the plunge etc

Seems like there's a few people on here with too much brass burning holes in their pockets - are they buying them for driving or posing? Might as well get an X5 for a few weeks until it gets mucky going up gravel drives and then change it for something else equally hairdresserish

flame suit beckons

Apple
Old 13 April 2002, 06:50 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I did say 'sod it' and take the plunge two years ago when I bought my MY00, knowing perfectly well that a completely new car was coming along that year. It was a brilliant car when I bought it, and, of course, it's still a brilliant car today.

Interesting point about computers - I do know people that always have the latest and greatest CPU or version of Windows. Good luck to them - they're paying for all the R&D. I just prefer to wait until there's a compelling reason to do so before I upgrade, rather than chasing a few more frames/sec in the current most-hyped video game. That's why I'm currently running a Duron 800MHz and won't be upgrading any time soon. I guess it's the same with the car.

That said, Keyring's price for an import is very tempting...

A.
Old 13 April 2002, 07:22 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The R&D thing is a good point, for various reasons I went for an MY00 and one of these was that I assumed with it being one of the last built of the classics it has all the tweaks and niggles removed and teh left over kit was put on to try and shift them . To me it seems to take a while for the knowledge to be gained on a new model both by enthusiasts, tuners and dealers.

Decatting problems of new models anyone and issues with sensors and problems getting hold of a PPP because everyone wanted one NOW . These are the things you are likely to get with a new model but I personally I prefer to avoid.

Having said that good on the guys and girls who buy the latest toys at least when I buy one some of their niggles and problems have been fixed for me .

Cheers

ChrisP

edited to say 800mhz AMD chip

[Edited by chrisp - 4/13/2002 7:25:22 PM]
Old 13 April 2002, 07:40 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

DTS,if the cars really have a 3 year Subaru warranty and have been serviced by maindealer etc I d'ont think people will think of them as imports.The parallel imports of which you speak ie BMW/Merc which d'ont fetch the same money in the classifieds came with a 1 year manafacturers warranty(Ithink)so when that is up obviously worth less (to some) than those with 2 years remaining.I'm not part of the 'scooby values about to plummet!' brigade.Personally as long as a car gives me pleasure(ooer missus)and reliability I d'ont care what it costs.(within reason of course!)
Now this ppp that is meant to give 300bhp,where did that come from? A dealer no doubt.The P1 never had a ppp that could take it higher than its jap brother so why should the 7?
As a matter of interest does the ppp have to pass all the same emission tests or is it exempt because its aftermarket.
ps am not knocking the 7 as am hopefully buying one in the near future(waiting for Link etc to become available)
Old 13 April 2002, 07:57 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Forgot the smiley face!
Old 13 April 2002, 10:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Chris

I've recently got a tad tired of going down the "do someone's aftermarket parts R&D testing for them" road, so ain't going that way again. Suddenly a PPP seems a good idea.....

DS
An import with a full 3 year UK Subaru warranty? I'll believe that one when I see it

The reason the P1 never got a PPP was the concern that the engine was too near the limit and the resultant warranty claims. The STi7 is a totally different engine/ECU to the P1 and will handle 300 + bhp (when developed properly - which it will be with the PPP - that's why Prodrive haven't released it yet).

[Edited by Dave T-S - 4/13/2002 11:10:38 PM]
Old 15 April 2002, 09:38 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

So youre keeping the STI then Chins.
You crack me up.
Sold my M3 today to a dealer.
Lost £500 in 7months.Not bad eh!
Old 15 April 2002, 09:53 PM
noodle
Scooby Regular

Question

Not more decisions surely...
I've recently set my heart on the Sti, and after much deliberation (about 2 minutes after driving the sti) am in the process of selling my old 'porker' to pay for the replacement.
Reading this article has made me worry, a little...
Does anybody know what the changes are going to be? Are there any early 'spy' pics of the new designs etc??
I'm not usually bothered by newer designs, but as this seems like a fair wedge to be parting with I want to make sure that I don't make the wrong decision and buy to early and get the old version.
What do you think??
Old 15 April 2002, 09:59 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sensible rumour says the changes aren't radical and less for the STi7.

Relax, be happy, buy and enjoy as tomorrow never comes, die poor but with a smile on your face

Quick Reply: Who's Cancelling their STi Order