Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is 4 wheel alignment possible on a scoob ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2011, 10:34 AM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 4 wheel alignment possible on a scoob ?

Hi all,
I put my 2005 wrx in for a 4 wheel alignment on Friday and was told they couldn't adjust the back wheels. Apparently they are fixed and there's no way of adjusting them. I was quite p1ssed off as they still charged me £72 for half a job, especially when he said it was just a posh word for tracking, which I only had done a few months ago. They did say I could bring it back if I found out how to adjust the back wheels, so thought you guys might be able to help.
Cheers.
Old 14 February 2011, 10:39 AM
Sleiper STI
Scooby Regular

you can buy rear camber adjustment bolts for this either eibach ones from revolution or whiteline ones etc. i ve bought eibachs as they are 20 squids, half the price of whitelines and do same job, cheers- Stu
Old 14 February 2011, 10:44 AM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

Are they easy to fit ?
Old 14 February 2011, 10:45 AM
dexster81
Scooby Regular

Standard bolts are adjustable they just took the hand outta ya, they can be very rusted and seized up so can be a pain to undo
Old 14 February 2011, 10:56 AM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

agreed the standard ones are adjustable with some wd40 will usually move easily even though rusted due to the large threads. This guy didnt know what he was doing or couldnt be bothered to do it correctly.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:01 AM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be taking it back next time I'm home, thought it was a bit strange that imprezas couldn't be adjusted.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:27 AM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

I'm going to have a search on google now to see if I can find a diagram to show him where it is.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:39 AM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

According to this, it can't be done ?

Subaru Impreza Wheel Alignment Tips

Did you know that if you do a correct and accurate wheel alignment of your Subaru Impreza up to the MY07 model with the MacPherson- Chapman-style rear strut, that to correctly adjust camber in the back of the car, that you actually can’t adjust it at all? That’s right, it’s a little bit hard to believe, but from the Subaru factory, you can actually adjust negative camber on the front of the car, but you can’t at the back.

Other adjustments for the Subaru Impreza suspension that you can do without any modification are obviously toe, front and back, as well as camber on the front, but that’s the limitation of what you can do.

Let me explain briefly what camber, toe, and caster are a little bit:

• If you’re standing up and you’re looking down at your feet, and you put your big toe against your other big toe with your heels apart, that’s toe-in, meaning the wheels are pointing toward themselves.

• If you do the opposite with your heels together at the back and your toes pointed apart, that’s toe out.

Typically on the cars that we set up, both front and rear for sporty style suspension settings or good, reliable handling environment, we typically go for zero toe front and back. Possibly for a road car and not a track car we’ll go for one-millimeter toe in, front and back.

Camber is if you put your legs apart and put your knees together so therefore your legs are at an angle making a V looking from the front, that’s negative camber. So when you’re looking at the front of the car, the bottom of the wheels are further out and the top of the wheels are further in, at an angle. Camber on the front of the Subaru is adjustable up to about 1 to 1.25 degrees negative, and on the rear you can’t adjust it at all.

The irony is 90% of the Subaru Impreza models that we see coming from the factory always have up to half a degree negative camber different from one side to the other on the rear suspension, but you can’t adjust it unless you change some components. The simplest way to change that is the addition of an offset camber bolt similar to the front suspension on your Subaru Impreza, on the rear.

All you do is remove the upper bolt that connects the lower part of the strut to the hub assembly. Replace it with this offset bolt. And as you rotate the bolt it effectively moves the strut in and out at the base allowing your wheel aligner to change the camber settings and get the right settings that you need for your car.

So there you have it. A little secret to make your car handle a little bit better, and of course improve your wheel alignment settings and reduce your tire wear, particularly on the rear.

Find out lots more great information just like this in the Subaru Performance Handbook.

Get The Right Information So You Can Save Money, Choose Correctly
And Choose Wisely!
Old 14 February 2011, 11:42 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

It can be done.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:46 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Cross the border to Gateshead and get yourself to Revolution, they will do a full geometry set up with print outs.

http://www.revolution247.com/4-wheel...t-67441-0.html

Last edited by richiewong; 14 February 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:50 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alignment can be done. Toe in toe out etc...... Its done via the two bolts you can see either side of the rear diff!

You'll need to add camber bolts to the rear if you wish to adjust the camber. (Fronts already have them!)
Whiteline ones are circa £40 but eibach ones can be bought of eBay for circa £15! They just replace the higher of the two bolts securing the bottom of the shock absorber!

Last edited by BLU; 14 February 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:51 AM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

Since when has Gateshead been in Scotland !? Ha ha.
This place I went to are suppose to have the latest technology, they give me a print out too, they just couldn't find the adjusting bolt !!
Old 14 February 2011, 11:56 AM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Ladies & Gentlemen, there seems to be two differen't adjustments being talked about here..

The rear Toe/Tracking CAN be adjusted by undoing the rear/inner lateral link bolt and rotating it clockwise/anticlockwise to increase/decrease toe.

The rear camber however CANNOT be adjusted unless you fit some aftermarket camber bolts.
Old 14 February 2011, 12:00 PM
monkfish2
Scooby Regular

I'll check the print out when I get in tonight, but think it's the camber that is out. It's reading 45 where as the rest of the wheels are between 0-3, as I said though I'll check tonight to find out the correct info.
Old 14 February 2011, 12:26 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

you cant see the bolt as been an adjustment one, it looks like a normal bolt from the underneath but its elongated on the shaft of it, The standard ones dont have much adjustment normally but many aftermarket ones have more.
Old 14 February 2011, 01:24 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monkfish2
Hi all,
I put my 2005 wrx in for a 4 wheel alignment on Friday and was told they couldn't adjust the back wheels.

Originally Posted by JAutos
you cant see the bolt as been an adjustment one, it looks like a normal bolt from the underneath but its elongated on the shaft of it, The standard ones dont have much adjustment normally but many aftermarket ones have more.
The bolt you are talking about is on the front.