Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Autoglass repair, autoglass damaged my wing!

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2011, 11:13 AM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoglass repair, autoglass damaged my wing!

Hi all just thought I would see other peoples views and advice, basically I needed a new windscreen as of 3 weeks ago so phoned autoglass to have them replace it, the rear screen was heavily scratched and the heating elements didn't work properly so I got them to change that aswell anyway they came to my house a week and a half later and told me they couldn't do it due to not being able to get hold of the clips so left it and went away, I waited for another week and they phoned me to tell me they would be out to do it on Saturday (yesterday) but when he turned up it was raining so he said he could either come back another time or I could follow him to their workshop in Portsmouth (I live in Chichester) so I thought f**k it I'll follow him so I did I left the car there and my keys at there request and popped round a friends who lived nearby and waited till it was done anyway I went back at around 6pm and it was all finished and had been moved from inside in the light to outside in the dark and rain so went inside and signed all the paperwork I noticed a few dents on the paperwork but didn't query it as it's a 12 year old car and dose have a couple of very small dents.
Anyway I took car home and was all happy with a new windscreen and rear screen so all was good anyway I got up this morning a d went to the shop as I got out of my car I noticed a crease in the drivers side wing (see pics) and was obviously a bit shocked now I know for a fact it wasn't there before I took it to them, it's not damaged the door in any way so the damage has to have been caused when the door was open ruling out some little ****** trying to get in it last night.
Anyway I phoned them straight away and spoke to the guy at the desk he said he'll contact there sister company and arrange for them to come out and see the damage and see if it could of been them who caused it which I fully expect them to turn around and say no! But he also went on to say if they do admit it then this sister company will fix it at the roadside maybe putting a big tent over it!
Now really I just want to see where I stand on the whole thing and what can I do? I should of said also I had a freind with me all the time aswell who can verify everything that I've said.

Old 06 February 2011, 12:00 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I had Autoglass in Portsmouth fit a new screen to my classic TypeR their branch a few years back and they were faultless thankfully.That is shocking and i would definately pursue the case

Last edited by scooby-tc; 06 February 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06 February 2011, 12:46 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

That is shocking.
the pessimist in me says they will wriggle out of it and say it wasn't them, they have given you the paperwork which states that there are some small dents, and you have signed this paperwork?
That will be there get out clause.
I had similar when I took a Vauxhall to a dealers some years ago for a service and when I picked it up noticed that there was a dent from the drivers door all the way down to the rear light. When I complained I was told to hang on, then 10 mins later was shown a piece of paper that said there was a dent on the car prior to them working on it (the ink was probably still wet on that piece of paper).

I phoned Vauxhall HQ and complained, but didn't hear anything from it, although some months later the dealership lost its franchise so what goes around comes around.

In your case I would definately make some noise though, as I personally couldn't live with that damage (worse than the damage on mine and I only had a Vauxhall!)

Could try mentioning Watchdog (if its still on) or that you will be contacting What car or some such, as the prospect of bad publicity may make them do something about it.
Old 06 February 2011, 02:43 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

that seems to be quite a substantial dent , doesnt look like someone has lent on it , looks like someone has stuck something into the door gap imo .
Old 06 February 2011, 02:47 PM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

It looks like they've had the door open and tried to shut it with something wedged in it, and don't worry I won't let it drop as it needs a whole new wing you can't really see in the pics but if you look further down it's got more creases >
Old 06 February 2011, 02:56 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4YLOR 83
It looks like they've had the door open and tried to shut it with something wedged in it

Thats what it looks like to me too.
Old 06 February 2011, 03:04 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe with those high winds over the last few days it blew open on the guys fixing it ????
Old 06 February 2011, 03:53 PM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

Thats a shocking amount of damage and if it was my car I would definatley have noticed it so I dont see how they can say it wasnt them, if it wasnt fresh damage it surely would have some corrosion due to the current weather.
Old 06 February 2011, 03:59 PM
Mr Windscreen
Scooby Regular

Did you not do a Pre inspection with a member of staff before you left the car with them? This has to be done before any work is carried out. You have to sign it to say you agree to the damage on your car before any work is done.
Old 06 February 2011, 04:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
Thats what it looks like to me too.
+2
Old 06 February 2011, 06:08 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I had trouble Autoglass years ago, when like yourself had a rear screen in a classic replaced under warranty at a Subaru main dealer, when i collected the car i inspected it & found the rear roof pillar had been touched in, in what surprised me as Tipex, yes the car was white.

I got the service manager out, he was'nt helpfull, as he said Autoglass did it, i told him yes they had but under your instructions.

At this point i got the owner of said dealership involved, he said they don't normally use Autoglass due to the very same problems arising, he contacted Autoglass, out came there manager within half an hour, he put his hand up to it without argument.

The car went into the bodyshop, when the rear window was removed on my insistance the window aperture had most of the paint scraped away where the original bonding was, the car was fully repainted at the rear roof / pillars/ rear quarters, if this was'nt noticed it would of been rotten within 12 months, needless to say Autoglass picked up the bill including a hire car.

I personnally would'nt let Autoglass clean my windows, let alone replace.

Last edited by MOTORS S GT; 06 February 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06 February 2011, 07:01 PM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Windscreen
Did you not do a Pre inspection with a member of staff before you left the car with them? This has to be done before any work is carried out. You have to sign it to say you agree to the damage on your car before any work is done.
No nothing was mentioned about any pre work check but looking at the paperwork it's 1 of the bits of paper that I signed after as he just said sign here, here and here but to be honest I didn't think they had done that to my car?