ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

mg zs td any 1 had 1???

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2011, 04:04 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mg zs td any 1 had 1???

as above. as we all no im getting rid of the scoob and need a cheap diesel (the devils fuel i no) but needs must. any ways ive noticed thease car mg zs td are cheap any good? i test drove 1 earlier and was quite impressed please no **** takers ha ha
Old 15 January 2011, 04:22 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No!, no one has ever owned one~!!!!

sorry kidding, i would check on parts availability if i were you. Certainly the zs was the one with a slightly sorted chassis, but really a diesel that looks a bit sporty??....ODD
Old 15 January 2011, 04:26 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

ha ha just for cheapness to be honest mate they do 50mpg and tax is only 125per year no impreza i no but time to be sensible
Old 15 January 2011, 04:32 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Seriously with a car maker thats gone out of business (rover) i would be making some calls around parts availability if it were me. Also consider SAAB diesels (lot of car there, and cheap...ish).

The ZS at the time defo was the MG Rover of choice, not my choice but someone's
Old 15 January 2011, 04:39 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

cheers for ya input fella
Old 15 January 2011, 05:11 PM
muttleyturbo
Scooby Regular

They're good cars as are most of the zed cars in my opinion (zr, zs, zt).

Yes rover has a bad name for head gasket failure with the 4 pot k series engine but the diesels (L series engine) don't suffer head gasket failure.

The L series is a pretty solid engine and is a very reliable unit. The only problem I can think of is the maf can play up but that is easily and cheaply sorted.

The ZS diesel comes in 101bhp and 115bhp versions, but the only difference in the 115 has a different map and has rear discs. They are easily mappable for good gains and fitting 'sdi' injectors from the older Rovers increases bhp to around 130. With a few other small mods around 150bhp is easily achievable.

The ZS is a very very good handling car, parts are easily available and cheap. They are some of the best value for money cars you can get due to most people thinking Rover is an old mans / crap car. I'm not saying that are amazing, the build quality isn't as good as some cars but the mk1 ZS interior certainly felt better quality than my UKturb2000 (although much preferred my Impreza overall, much better car lol)

^^

Non biased as I've owned both classics Imprezas and ZS'

Last edited by muttleyturbo; 15 January 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 15 January 2011, 05:14 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

cheers mate indeed not a impreza but a cheap all round motor thanks for advice
Old 15 January 2011, 06:05 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by muttleyturbo

Yes rover has a bad name for head gasket failure with the 4 pot k series engine but the diesels (L series engine) don't suffer head gasket failure.

The L series is a pretty solid engine and is a very reliable unit. The only problem I can think of is the maf can play up but that is easily and cheaply sorted.

The ZS diesel comes in 101bhp and 115bhp versions, but the only difference in the 115 has a different map and has rear discs. They are easily mappable for good gains and fitting 'sdi' injectors from the older Rovers increases bhp to around 130. With a few other small mods around 150bhp is easily achievable.

The ZS is a very very good handling car, parts are easily available and cheap. They are some of the best value for money cars you can get due to most people thinking Rover is an old mans / crap car. I'm not saying that are amazing, the build quality isn't as good as some cars but the mk1 ZS interior certainly felt better quality than my UKturb2000 (although much preferred my Impreza overall, much better car lol)

^^

Sounds pretty good advice - what SN's all about (or should be!)
Old 15 January 2011, 06:29 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

+1, great advice nice one......so you going to take the plung bolasti ?

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 15 January 2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 15 January 2011, 09:45 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

i think so chaps.....getting married in june draining the cash out the bank so gota go had the scoob 3 years now will be missed. hipefully 1 day get another.............type r or p1 be rather nice
Old 16 January 2011, 09:54 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by muttleyturbo

^^

i've been tuning and working on all makes and models of MG/Rover for years, they are very good cars for the money and if looked after and serviced regularly they are good reliable motors.

The k series itself does have certain design flaws which is where the reputation comes from, but the main reasons the head gaskets fail is due to lack of maintenance, servicing etc. I've done apprx 50 odd head gaskets on the k series and 9times out of 10 the gaskets have failed due to un-noticed dead water pumps, or burst radiators, blocked stats, lack of anti freeze etc etc.

The L series is a very good engine and is actually designed and made by Honda, from when Honda and Rover merged and made the 600 / 400 series Rovers.

I have in the past had to do head gaskets on the L series, but it wasn't many and was mostly due to the reasons above of poor maintenance.

As has already been stated they are pretty tunable and can be made quite powerful for cheap, e.g SDi injectors, actuator wound tight to run 19 psi, roverron TU1 boxes etc etc. They're also the best handling of all the Rover/Mg cars and are extremely comfortable inside. The body styling on them is nice too, even more so the phase 2 facelift shape.

They are really good cars and you will enjoy owning one, just make sure you stick to the servicing schedule and now and again pop the bonnet and check over things and you'll have a trouble free motor.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:00 AM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

cheers fella thanks for info.

the mg i had my eye on has turned out to be a cat c (they didnt state this in advert norty)