ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Blobye JDM Exhaust Options?

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2010, 05:22 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Blobye JDM Exhaust Options?

Post christmas lunch slob out, Ive been researching this a fair bit, and there seems to be no definitive answer at the mo! Ive looked at all the search engine hits

I have a 2003 Blob JDM Twinscroll...its currently fitted with a HS decat downpipe, which looks 3" but narrows at the flange to mate up to a standard system.

What does everyone think? 3" or 2.5" for the replacement system?

Engine wise, im looking towards 400bhp, but will be remaining fairly standard for a while. ITs been ECUTEked remapped by Race Dynamix, but live road so no rolling road print out.

I have the offer of a good 3" zorst, but noticed that after the downpipe and before the middle pipe there is a small pipe which looks to have a CAT fitted in it, presumably the first pipe. JDMs only have the single cat in the downpipe so is this something else? would fitting a 3" exhaust from that pipe back make much of a difference as there is still a restriction in the system at that point...

Would love to hear opinions and advice! and also if anyone wants a standard system swapping for their loud aftermarket one, i need some noise like my Type R
Old 25 December 2010, 05:42 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there at first Duncan@Race Dynamix don't map with EcuTek(is not EcuTek dealer),Duncan is just for Open source mapping,hence price for remap,due this is your car open source mapped.
Second if you have H&S decated downpipe,is not point go for another downpipe,but this depends on which you have,if you have 2.5",2.5" is good up to 400BHP,3" is limited by your pocket(i mean deep pocket)
If you want noisy exhaust look for decated centre pipe with Nur Spec/Cobra Race box and you have noisiest exhaust...

P.S:Merry X-Mass to you and your
Old 25 December 2010, 06:25 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there at first Duncan@Race Dynamix don't map with EcuTek(is not EcuTek dealer),Duncan is just for Open source mapping,hence price for remap,due this is your car open source mapped.
Second if you have H&S decated downpipe,is not point go for another downpipe,but this depends on which you have,if you have 2.5",2.5" is good up to 400BHP,3" is limited by your pocket(i mean deep pocket)
If you want noisy exhaust look for decated centre pipe with Nur Spec/Cobra Race box and you have noisiest exhaust...

P.S:Merry X-Mass to you and your
Merry christmas to you too buddy, thanks for taking the time for the advice today!

Ah i didnt know it was open source mapping....whats the general consensus on this, better that euktek? but presumably cant add anti-lag or anything?

I have a Hayward Sott 3" sports cat downpipe and 2.5" system with jap angled slash cut system on my type r which is perferct in terms of noise and performance but cant stretch to one for the blob so have been looking at cobrasport ones...

so 2.5" system is the best bet, with on minimal gains on a standard engine ith a 3" one?
Old 25 December 2010, 06:51 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
Merry christmas to you too buddy, thanks for taking the time for the advice today!

Ah i didnt know it was open source mapping....whats the general consensus on this, better that euktek? but presumably cant add anti-lag or anything?

I have a Hayward Sott 3" sports cat downpipe and 2.5" system with jap angled slash cut system on my type r which is perferct in terms of noise and performance but cant stretch to one for the blob so have been looking at cobrasport ones...

so 2.5" system is the best bet, with on minimal gains on a standard engine ith a 3" one?

Hi there open source mapping is same like EcuTek,difference is in licence,due this you are paying so much for EcuTek,some people will telling you is difference is in mapper,but Duncan have good name as mapper....And second EcuTek licence is only for Nissan,Mitsubishi,Subaru OE ECU,due this if you are going for aftermarket ECU like Simtek,Autronics,GEMS,Solaris,Syvecs everything is mapped via open source route and price for mapping is lower...

Anti Lag(ALS) is possible on newage ECU via RomRaider/EcuEdit and Group N ECU ROM,but this you must confirm via mappers here Duncan,FB Tuning or Neil@Slowboy Racing which use RomRaider/EcuEdit.And on EcuTek'ed ECU you cannot add ALS(this is domain only of Mitsubishi ECU),maybe in new RaceRom..

Overall better results(mafless,ALS,LC etc.) will be via aftermarket ECU like Solaris,Syvecs,Gems or Simtek(but most people have lots of complaints about Simtek),if you want just ALS,its not worth.Your ECU is very capable....

About the exhaust,really depends what you want,if you want noisy exhaust look for centre pipe(straight without resonator) and Nur Spec or Cobra Race Box,but overall 2.5" will be limited maybe on 450BHP+(Andy Forrest run his 02 STI RA with 450BHP+ on 2.5" exhaust )..

Jura

Last edited by jura11; 26 December 2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 25 December 2010, 07:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, exhaust first.
You have baffle in your exhaust, its in the centre section, a straight through pipe from H&S will set you back 80 quid and increase the noise, you wont need to remap for this.
As for 400bhp, that will set you back about 3-3.5k, you need new injectors, turbo, remap, fuel pump etc, Litchfield do a pack for this (you can buy the parts seperately) then have them fitted and mapped, just search for LM400 or LM420 or just look for the litchfield twin scroll turbo thread.

ALS, you dont need it on a twin scroll car, simple as, they are far more responsive than single scroll turbo cars.

Tony

PS, you will never get a sound like your type r, twin scroll cars sound totally different

Last edited by TonyBurns; 25 December 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 25 December 2010, 08:09 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Right, exhaust first.
You have baffle in your exhaust, its in the centre section, a straight through pipe from H&S will set you back 80 quid and increase the noise, you wont need to remap for this.
As for 400bhp, that will set you back about 3-3.5k, you need new injectors, turbo, remap, fuel pump etc, Litchfield do a pack for this (you can buy the parts seperately) then have them fitted and mapped, just search for LM400 or LM420 or just look for the litchfield twin scroll turbo thread.

ALS, you dont need it on a twin scroll car, simple as, they are far more responsive than single scroll turbo cars.

Tony

PS, you will never get a sound like your type r, twin scroll cars sound totally different

As above say Tony about the exhaust.

In 400-450BHP look here at Trader Announcements where Lateral Performance announced/or will be announced M321 twin scroll turbo
https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...ml#post9782328

For injectors you will be fine with 650cc and FPR(Steve aka The Gimp running with 650cc and FPR 453BHP),fuel pump as normal Walbro or you can go for Bosch 044,remap from Duncan@Race Dynamix for 300£ or other Open Source Mappers like FB Tuning or Neil@Slowboy Racing for same price.
Old 25 December 2010, 08:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

That will be an interesting twin scroll turbo by the sounds Jura

Tony
Old 25 December 2010, 08:23 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
That will be an interesting twin scroll turbo by the sounds Jura

Tony
Hi Tony look at post #5

https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...ml#post9782328

Jura

Last edited by jura11; 25 December 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 25 December 2010, 09:08 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

far to much filth for one day, nice one fellas!

Cheers Jura for the headsup on the mapping. just been doing a little more reading into open source, i realised its the same as my old Mk2 golf that i mapped on Emerald management. Does this mean though, that the cold start system is ran through a different map and not the ECU? my emerald was a royal pain in the winter with cold starting...
I know Neil at Slowboy so will pick his brains next time im up there..Cheers Tony for the exhaust help so we are saying stick with the 2.5" exhaust for the car in its remapped state and being fairly standard?

Already looked into the Lateral turbos, its on my production list for the next year! Its my first newage, and currently I am regretting it slightly as its missing so much of hat the Type R has! I know the noise will never be the same, but its deffinately missing a little soul...
Old 25 December 2010, 09:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

2.5 is great for upto 400bhp due to the back pressure, even just mapped to 360bhp, and a 360bhp jdm is a pretty quick car
Old 25 December 2010, 09:51 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
far to much filth for one day, nice one fellas!

Cheers Jura for the headsup on the mapping. just been doing a little more reading into open source, i realised its the same as my old Mk2 golf that i mapped on Emerald management. Does this mean though, that the cold start system is ran through a different map and not the ECU? my emerald was a royal pain in the winter with cold starting...
I know Neil at Slowboy so will pick his brains next time im up there..Cheers Tony for the exhaust help so we are saying stick with the 2.5" exhaust for the car in its remapped state and being fairly standard?

Already looked into the Lateral turbos, its on my production list for the next year! Its my first newage, and currently I am regretting it slightly as its missing so much of hat the Type R has! I know the noise will never be the same, but its deffinately missing a little soul...

Hi there you are run your Golf via Emerald ECU(and map) and this is same like Simtek,which have problems with cold start or idle
Here is link,you can have look https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...imtek-ecu.html

Your OE ECU is good for you(is mappable via EcuTek or Open Source,and is very capable ).Limiting will be if you are want go for high BHP,when you will need new ECU.On your OE ECU you will never have problems with cold starts at winter.Secondly mapping Emerald and OE ECU is different,Emerald ECU is mappable via his software M3DK(and nothing else) and Subaru OE ECU are mappable via lot of other sw like EcuEdit,RomRaider,EcuTek own etc.
And Emerald ECU is same like Simtek from some reports on forums...
Std ECU(New age OE JDM,) have good boost control(due this you will don't need any boost controller) up to 1.5-1.7bar,you can ask your mapper for dual fuel map(one for 95ron,second for 99ron),dual boost map(one low and second high boost),LC(Launch Control) and lots of other features.
Probably you are confused from Classic,because on Classic has been just EcuTek and no OS(open source).And std Classic ECU has have limited function,but newer New Age ECU are much better like from mapping or other factors.

Someone told(Splitpin)this

It's a bit like comparing Microsoft software (which you have to pay for) with OpenOffice, which is free. Both offer a word processor which enables you to write letters. Word is the established market leader, while Writer is a different way of achieving the same result.

Probably worth go to Neil@Slowboy Racing(which is my mapper and now will build mine engine 2.1 stroker) and ask him for recommendation about mapping,exhaust or turbo upgrade...

And here is thread about the OS(open source)vs EcuTek,be warned 16 pages,this will answer your question(i think)
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...n-mapping.html

And about the exhaust with 2,5" you will be OK up to 400-450BHP,and really if you want noisy exhaust like your Type R,you can have look for centre pipe without resonator and backbox like Cobra Racebox or Blitz Nur Spec R

Jura

Last edited by jura11; 26 December 2010 at 04:57 AM.