Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Can you tell me the differences please between these Subaru Models?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2010, 11:53 AM
Gibbo205
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Can you tell me the differences please between these Subaru Models?

Hi there

I am looking at Hawkeye generation Scoobs and was wondering how the following models differ please:-

S204
Spec C
Spec C RA
Spec C RA-R

What are the specs of each model, power, turbo, weight, gearing, suspension, running cost, tuning possibilities etc?

Also anyone driven the above, how do you find them? Even better anyone driven any of the above and also driven the EVO X?
Old 08 November 2010, 01:35 PM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Hi mate.
I was going to say welcome to the forum saying as it's your first post but you joined way back in 2005! Have you been lurking away?

Have a read here mate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_...a_WRX_STI#S204

Covers everything
Old 08 November 2010, 02:09 PM
Gibbo205
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Richie856
Hi mate.
I was going to say welcome to the forum saying as it's your first post but you joined way back in 2005! Have you been lurking away?

Have a read here mate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_...a_WRX_STI#S204

Covers everything

Yes Ive been lurking for years, though I did have another account here but can't remember what it was, DOH!

Ive been looking at Wikipedia so to sum things up:-

Spec C = 1390kg, 320BHP
Spec C RA = 1390kg, 320BHP, but with further suspension fettling and bigger wheels.
Spec C RA-R = 1390kg, 320BHP, but with larger turbo wastegate, 6 pot brakes, some more minor suspension tweaks and rear spoiler delete.
S204 = 1390kg, 320BHP Blueprinted engine, larger wastegate turbo, awsome seats and other Spec C basis suspension.

But reading wikipedia suggest in 2007 all Spec C got the larger turbo, is that right?

If thats so then surely a 2007 Spec C is the one to get?

Do the suspension mods on the RA make a difference? Can the Spec C be upgraded to Spec C RA suspension?

Last edited by Gibbo205; 08 November 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08 November 2010, 03:27 PM
dj_akademix
Scooby Regular

RA-R was the fully stripped, Japan only, trackday special. Not sure if you can retrofit RA suspension, I'm sure if you find some you could
Old 08 November 2010, 03:31 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure Tony or Immy will be along to explain the differences in fine detail
Old 08 November 2010, 03:57 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spec c= lightweight version with lighter AC unit thinner glass Aluminium rear boot lid reinforced strut towers with additional spot welds throughout the body and has a roller bearing version of the twinscroll turbo 12 litre intercooler water spray tank in the boot engine and transmission coolers .

Spec c type RA= has all the above plus all the STI catalogue suspension parts Thicker STI anti roll bars front and back STI lateral link arms STI rose joints STI dampers STI springs and a nice set of lightweight aluminium alloys.

Spec c type RA-R ( THE DADDY)
It has all the above as the RA and blue printed STI engine with a larger inlet hose and bigger V42 TURBO giving it 350bhp 18" enkie lightweight aluminium alloys with RE070 rubber (great tyres but you can't get them in 18" in the UK)
And a bespoke brembo brake system made for the STI race car in Japan. 6pot at the front with grooved discs (this system costs £4k just for the front) and 2 pot at the rear with grooved discs.

The S204

It is based on an STI but does have reinforced strut towers engine and oil coolers STI blue printed engine with the bigger inlet hose and VF42 turbo giving it 350bhp full STI suspension setup including additional Yamaha/sti rear strut brace in the boot LIGHT WEIGHT FORGED aluminium alloys (cost £500 each before they even leave Japan) and the famous bespoke carbon fibre bucket seats which is the main reason I bought the car!

The claimed figures of 320bhp for the ra-r and S204 are under estimated because when i had them on the RR both cars were kicking out 350 and even with a remap and exhaust I only managed to get an extra 5ltb of torque.

S204 is the best car to have in my opinion for UK roads ,but the RA-R is a quicker car round the track.

And from my experience these cars are far better than a EVO X 360. (I had a X RS running 400bhp).

Immy

Last edited by juggers; 08 November 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08 November 2010, 05:43 PM
Gibbo205
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by juggers
Spec c= lightweight version with lighter AC unit thinner glass Aluminium rear boot lid reinforced strut towers with additional spot welds throughout the body and has a roller bearing version of the twinscroll turbo 12 litre intercooler water spray tank in the boot engine and transmission coolers .

Spec c type RA= has all the above plus all the STI catalogue suspension parts Thicker STI anti roll bars front and back STI lateral link arms STI rose joints STI dampers STI springs and a nice set of lightweight aluminium alloys.

Spec c type RA-R ( THE DADDY)
It has all the above as the RA and blue printed STI engine with a larger inlet hose and bigger V42 TURBO giving it 350bhp 18" enkie lightweight aluminium alloys with RE070 rubber (great tyres but you can't get them in 18" in the UK)
And a bespoke brembo brake system made for the STI race car in Japan. 6pot at the front with grooved discs (this system costs £4k just for the front) and 2 pot at the rear with grooved discs.

The S204

It is based on an STI but does have reinforced strut towers engine and oil coolers STI blue printed engine with the bigger inlet hose and VF42 turbo giving it 350bhp full STI suspension setup including additional Yamaha/sti rear strut brace in the boot LIGHT WEIGHT FORGED aluminium alloys (cost £500 each before they even leave Japan) and the famous bespoke carbon fibre bucket seats which is the main reason I bought the car!

The claimed figures of 320bhp for the ra-r and S204 are under estimated because when i had them on the RR both cars were kicking out 350 and even with a remap and exhaust I only managed to get an extra 5ltb of torque.

S204 is the best car to have in my opinion for UK roads ,but the RA-R is a quicker car round the track.

And from my experience these cars are far better than a EVO X 360. (I had a X RS running 400bhp).

Immy

Hi m8

Thanks for that, certainly makes things a lot more clearer.

I read on Wikipedia though that 2007 onwards Spec C have that bigger VF42 Turbo, is this true?

Or is the VF42 literally only just on the RA-R and S204?

As you've had an X RS how does steering feel, general car feedback differ between the 2?

I found the X numb when I first got it, but with AD08's on it really came to live and the front digs in so well.

Be interesting to hear how you found they both compared, what the good and bad points were of the two please?

Last thing is the S204, Spec C's all 1390kg then?

If so I imagine they must be a fair bit quicker than an lardy X 360?

Last edited by Gibbo205; 08 November 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08 November 2010, 05:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of em have blue printed engines, its a myth

All the Spec C's share the same shell/engines but the RA has uprated suspension and the RA-R has uprated suspension, bigger VF42 turbo and tweaked ecu to produce 320ps, the others produce a quoted 300ps as they run the standard vf36 turbo.

The S204 is based on the heavier chassis of the standard STI, its pretty much the same running gear as the RA, suspension is all STI red upgraded stuff, very nice interior, same engine as the spec c with the uprated VF42 as per the RA-R, weight is about 90kg heavier than the other models but its probably a more balanced road car over the Spec C's as its more comfortable with similar power (320ps).

If you wanted comfort then forget the Spec C's, anything changed (exhaust for example) will come straight into the cabin due to no sound proofing.

Tony
Old 08 November 2010, 10:23 PM
Gibbo205
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the info guys.

Last thing is do all the 2007 Spec C have the VF42 turbo?
Old 08 November 2010, 10:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

No, they run a vf36, only the above models that have been said run a vf42 run said turbo, there is a different turbo on the hatch models though.

Tony
Old 08 November 2010, 10:43 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
None of em have blue printed engines, its a myth

All the Spec C's share the same shell/engines but the RA has uprated suspension and the RA-R has uprated suspension, bigger VF42 turbo and tweaked ecu to produce 320ps, the others produce a quoted 300ps as they run the standard vf36 turbo.

The S204 is based on the heavier chassis of the standard STI, its pretty much the same running gear as the RA, suspension is all STI red upgraded stuff, very nice interior, same engine as the spec c with the uprated VF42 as per the RA-R, weight is about 90kg heavier than the other models but its probably a more balanced road car over the Spec C's as its more comfortable with similar power (320ps).

If you wanted comfort then forget the Spec C's, anything changed (exhaust for example) will come straight into the cabin due to no sound proofing.

Tony

The STI doesn’t have a heavier shell the only difference between the two shells is the extra spot welds and bracing. The only thing that makes the STI heavier are the heavier components that they use. On both deregistration and at the SVA testing the weight of the S204 was the same as a spec c.

It's not a myth it's stated on their homepage so either i belive STI or I belive you?

Immy

Last edited by juggers; 08 November 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09 November 2010, 04:09 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The S204 uses the heavier STI chassis (with all the nice bits like different subframe, sound proofing, none lightweight roof etc), it doesnt have the Spec C shell (which is lighter btw but not by much )
As for Blue Printed, no they are not, STI have been saying all sorts, and blue printed is a myth (just look it up, you want a blue printed engine it will cost more than a 40k car )

just google blue printed engine, you may well see very few manufacturers do them (your talking top end performance cars here), STI build their engines to a tighter tolerence, just not as tight as it should be (just look at the 2.5's ) and the Spec C RA, RA-R, S204 etc all have the same engines, pistons etc as the standard Spec C (buy them off the shelf, no difference), yet that engine is also the same as the standard STI (as it was from the MY05 model's), yet I dont see them saying blue printed on those

Tony
Old 09 November 2010, 09:39 AM
Gibbo205
Scooby Newbie

OK guys

Spec C or a Spec C RA was my favourite until they only have the VF36 turbo.

Is the VF42 much better in terms of power delivery, usable power and tuning potential?

Or does a VF36 have perfectly good usable power delivery and as good tuning potential?

Basically can both hit 400 horses for say circa 4k money and do both spool up as quick and pull hard to the 8000rpm redline?

Do all these cars have the 8000rpm redline?

Lastly if the S204 is a different shell and a Spec C weighs 1390kg, how much does an S204 weigh?