Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Another massive thanks to enginetuner!

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2010, 12:49 AM
jaypSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Another massive thanks to enginetuner!

I contacted Alan at enginetuner in January to talk about my fear of my 08 Hatchback STI getting the dreaded piston ringland failure. He gave me many options from a more engine friendly remap by Martyn up to a fully rebuilt engine. After seeing continued failures even on custom mapped cars. I decided that something more drastic had to be done.
The initial spec consisted of just replacing the pistons but Alan eventually convinced me that once I started modifying in this way I would want more and more. After many emails backwards and forwards with the idea of me eventually wanting between 450-500bhp, he came up with the following engine spec: Wiseco pistons, K1 H beam rods, cosworth bearings/gaskets and baffle plate, rcm oil pump and arp head studs.
After a little more research into enginetuners work and a tour of the garage I was finally convinced to leave my car in their capable hands after hearing of their development in the cosworth subaru. I handed over my keys and in return was given a courtesy car.
Four weeks later i was running it in, also added was a h&s full decat exhaust and a aem induction kit. After oil changes at 50, 500 and 1000 miles, Martyn worked his magic and remapped the car producing around 355bhp/355ftlbs.
Whilst getting further oil changes at 2000 and 3000 miles, I watched the development of another hatchback of a member here. So it wasnt long before I was looking at my own options of a bigger turbo and supporting mods.
After talking to Martyn about my options he told me about the opportunity of trying out a billet turbo from scoobyclinic. I agreed and the following package was put together: SC50 billet turbo, 800cc injectors, cosworth front mount intercooler, RCM headers (ceramic coated), bosch fuel pump, swirl pot, catch tank.
Although the target was only around 450bhp the sc50 was chosen because it was unknown if it was as good as it said on the tin and 450bhp would be available at much lower boost.
So the car was handed over to the masters at enginetuner to work their magic again. After the problems encountered with the other hatch they were working on. I knew that they would come across similar problems on my car. Mainly custom pipework to get the cosworth intercooler to fit. And standard fit turbos aren't so standard fit in a 08 hatch. After a few weeks everything was squeezed in and I just had to wait for Martyn to return from a well deserved holiday to begin mapping.
On return he was quick to find a problem for some reason the turbo was struggling to build over 1.1bar of boost. But he did find out that the turbo was gonna be up to making its claimed power no trouble at all as it was producing 430/430 at only 1.1bar. With this in mind and to make sure it wasnt the turbo that was faulty an sc46 billet was ordered to try. A couple of days later this was fitted but it was still not making target boost. After lots of head scratching and testing it turned out that the cosworth intercooler had thrown up another problem and was causing the standard dump valve to leak boost due to its position. So dump valve removed and here comes the results:
This graph is my original base map which is the prodrive 330s map vs sc46 billet at 1.5bar on tesco 99 fuel.

No extra lag but loads more power, what more could I want? There is a fair bit more in this turbo but I want the car to be fairly reliable and very road friendly and thats exactly what it is.
I cant thank Alan and Martyn enough, its definately my best trip back from plymouth by far.
Anyone worried about their 08+ Hatchback engine should get down to enginetuner. And anyone looking for a new turbo the SC billet range is the way to go.
Thanks again enginetuner
Old 23 September 2010, 12:58 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like he's done you proud

Top work
Old 23 September 2010, 08:11 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Very much our pleasure! It's all about horses for courses, and we knew there was much more to be had from the set up. Dealing with details are what makes the difference with our line of work. The Cosworth intercooler works just fine, and the core is more than capable. My feeling is the mistake was made with the dump valve position in an attempt to make it all fit the stock air filter system. The changes we've made have transformed the car, and I'm sure we'll see a MK2 version of the Cosworth kit very soon.
Old 23 September 2010, 12:39 PM
greg320
Scooby Regular

Alan is the cosworth fmic available for the hawkeye and if so could you pm me a price
Old 23 September 2010, 02:06 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by greg320
Alan is the cosworth fmic available for the hawkeye and if so could you pm me a price
Hi Greg, love to, but it's made to fit the Hatch! they are very different behind the bumper.
Old 23 September 2010, 08:09 PM
TYPE R BRAD
Scooby Regular

Got to echo the praise for Enginetuner after purchasing my classic with all the work carried out by them, i am just stuck for words with its savage power on map 1 only 457/420!! I know i should not compare these tuners against one another but how come Area 52 could not get nowhere near these reliable solid figures on my old scoob, ok granted it was a 2.5 but failed time after time. It just prompts you to keep going on with a relentless power delivery unrivalled in my years of fast cars.

Martyn, had full service at Carnetix. Going to use Dynamix to map car. Can you tell me if the boost settings are controlled from the E-boost 2 or dedicated from Simtek.
Old 23 September 2010, 09:11 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ery good results there.

how come you chose the sc50/46 turbo over the enginetuner s206?
Old 23 September 2010, 09:19 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPE R BRAD
Got to echo the praise for Enginetuner after purchasing my classic with all the work carried out by them, i am just stuck for words with its savage power on map 1 only 457/420!! I know i should not compare these tuners against one another but how come Area 52 could not get nowhere near these reliable solid figures on my old scoob, ok granted it was a 2.5 but failed time after time. It just prompts you to keep going on with a relentless power delivery unrivalled in my years of fast cars.

Martyn, had full service at Carnetix. Going to use Dynamix to map car. Can you tell me if the boost settings are controlled from the E-boost 2 or dedicated from Simtek.
Boost control is via the E-Boost 2, everything else through the SimTek.
Old 23 September 2010, 09:24 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

i only have enginetuner to thank for the massive smile that is put on my face every time i get into my car.its about 6 months now since i bought the car which had recently had the 2.1 stroker engine fitted and since that time i have tracked it launched it raced it and all this is at 600+bhp and every time it has never failed to bring me back home.i will be taking the car back down to enginetuner this weekend for a couple of little tweeks doing in preperation for the shoutout and tbh i carnt wait to get there and meet everyone who was involved in building an engine that not only produces amazing figures but has proven itself to withstand whatever gets thrown at it.
Old 23 September 2010, 09:37 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Don't forget Worzel Gummidge's best-ist heads...

dunx

P.S. Or the labels !

P.P.S. Enjoy the holiday... both of you !
Old 23 September 2010, 09:46 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
i only have enginetuner to thank for the massive smile that is put on my face every time i get into my car.its about 6 months now since i bought the car which had recently had the 2.1 stroker engine fitted and since that time i have tracked it launched it raced it and all this is at 600+bhp and every time it has never failed to bring me back home.i will be taking the car back down to enginetuner this weekend for a couple of little tweeks doing in preperation for the shoutout and tbh i carnt wait to get there and meet everyone who was involved in building an engine that not only produces amazing figures but has proven itself to withstand whatever gets thrown at it.
'Ere, Martyn, wait 'till e finds out us is all yokels... !
Old 23 September 2010, 09:50 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi Alan,

expect a delivery with "Arf" a pair of STI V7 heads, to be sorted.

Regards,

Duncan

P.S. I wish we had yokels as talented up here...
Old 23 September 2010, 10:00 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Wowee !

Congratulations "JaySti".

My car followed yours into Enginetuner earlier this year, and had a very similar initial forged rebuild... but now i want one of 'those turbo's'

Yes, Alan and Martyn are decent guys who know their stuff and are 'proven' in all they do. Another big up for Enginetuner

A

NB. To Alan and Martyn... my time will surely come
Old 23 September 2010, 10:06 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
'Ere, Martyn, wait 'till e finds out us is all yokels... !
Old 24 September 2010, 11:52 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apostle
Congratulations "JaySti".

My car followed yours into Enginetuner earlier this year, and had a very similar initial forged rebuild... but now i want one of 'those turbo's'

Yes, Alan and Martyn are decent guys who know their stuff and are 'proven' in all they do. Another big up for Enginetuner

A

NB. To Alan and Martyn... my time will surely come
We'll "Watch" out for you!
Old 24 September 2010, 11:56 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaOne
ery good results there.

how come you chose the sc50/46 turbo over the enginetuner s206?
No reflection on the turbo, it was just the layout of the Cosworth intercooler that swung it!
Old 24 September 2010, 08:07 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

looks amazing - can I ask, by looking at the graph the PPP map is way below the 330 bhp that it is supposed to be around???
Old 24 September 2010, 11:23 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ade_sti
looks amazing - can I ask, by looking at the graph the PPP map is way below the 330 bhp that it is supposed to be around???

Yes, well ...
Old 26 September 2010, 09:44 AM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

do any make the 330 bhp??
Old 26 September 2010, 07:33 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ade_sti
do any make the 330 bhp??
We can't say they all don't, we only have the ones we've seen to go on.
Being fair, the PPP isn't custom mapping, so it's hard to guarantee any particular car will make a certain figure. They may also have had their own way of testing it, which could be different to ours.
Old 27 September 2010, 04:01 PM
jaypSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I am absolutely loving the car, not missing the subaru sport at all Alan
Passenger comments on the car generally consist of "Holy S&@t!", "I think I left my stomach behind!" and "Can I get out now!"
I also cant get over how good it sounds now.
Old 27 September 2010, 10:36 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaypSTi
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I am absolutely loving the car, not missing the subaru sport at all Alan
Passenger comments on the car generally consist of "Holy S&@t!", "I think I left my stomach behind!" and "Can I get out now!"
I also cant get over how good it sounds now.
Pleased to know your passengers are enjoying the experience!
Old 28 September 2010, 08:28 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff nothing but good things to say about Alan, Martyn and the guys

1 year on and 7000 miles and mine is running sweet