Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Any Legacy GTB or B4 enthusiasts out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 09:56 PM
Legacy GTB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Are there any other GTB and B4 enthusiasts out there, or is it all WReX's?
Old 06 February 2001, 12:40 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Hello, im a pink badge merchant but Im going RSK later in the year due to the disgraceful face on the new WRX. Ive just subscribed to a B4 club that started in Feb and they seem to have loads of mods already. Let me know if u are interested in joining although its just a yahoo club at the moment. Have u heard of the Earthing mod that Legacy people seem to rave about?

Stu
Old 06 February 2001, 08:29 AM
Legacy GTB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Luke!
What's your ride? Not a fly-yellow WRX with a B-29 wing, pink decals and chrome 20 inch rims I'm guessing.

Old 06 February 2001, 09:03 AM
JCM76
Scooby Regular

Another Legacy man here. Got a '92 Turbo saloon, and itgoes like s**t off a shovel

James
Old 06 February 2001, 10:01 AM
Luke
BANNED

LegacyGTB

Mine is a 4.cam single turbo Estate (No flat spot!) Goes well. Anyone got a saloon for sale??? So far no response about "Pink badges" !! it will kigk off I' sure

Legacy's are still the besr Q car .And that counts for a hell of a lot (If you get what I mean)

Luke
Old 06 February 2001, 12:06 PM
Luke
BANNED

Is it Hell Mate

Legacy's Rock big time . We owners dont worry too much about the colour of our wheels... Talking of which !!! STI badges are pink. Stick with the best Q car "UNKNOWN"!!!!!

Luke
Old 06 February 2001, 01:30 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

I've a '96 Legacy RS-B saloon. Been the Impreza route, but grown up now

Brian
Old 06 February 2001, 01:46 PM
Luke
BANNED

Stu
NO??
What is This "Earthing Mod"?????

Come on lets here it !!

Luke
Old 06 February 2001, 01:53 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

95 GT-Estate 260bhp.

It's quick enough, but it's no WRX.

It's for sale by the way, need something more frugal!!
Old 06 February 2001, 08:52 PM
Legacy GTB
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ahhhhh yes. Legacy- the 'grown up' Impreza! I must admit it's nice to have the performance and handling WITH a comfortable, quiet and refined ride. Getting out of the car after a 6 or 8 hour trip and still feeling like you could drive home again is a huge benefit.

I'm a mobile DJ and need the extra space that the new GTB affords, but still wanted the grunt. We drove a new B4 5 speed sedan before settling happily for the GTB auto wagon. These cars are everywhere in New Zealand- I guess they suit our outdoor lifestyle perfectly. Imprezza is hot, but too small and dainty. <that should raise a few heckles... >

I've never heard of the 'earthing mod' either. What is it?

Luke- you mention a flat spot. Have you driven the new model twin turbo yet? Very different engine and turbo response to the last shape. Different heads, different inlet manifolds, different plug coils and different computer mapping of the boost and injection. Totally different car to drive.

Old 06 February 2001, 10:19 PM
Luke
BANNED

STUPOT

Stu

Come on mate lets have it!!!

This better be worth an extra 10 BHP.....

Luke
Old 07 February 2001, 10:31 AM
Bluemoon
Scooby Newbie

Just waiting delievery of a new B4 (Jap spec) here in Cyprus. cant wait! Anyone got the new model?
Old 07 February 2001, 11:42 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi

I've got a GTB as well - great car - goes really well with loads of room and rather more anonymous than an Impreza, quite a few mods - see my website for details

Paul
Old 07 February 2001, 03:37 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Luke, Ill email u tonight

Stu
Old 07 February 2001, 05:18 PM
Luke
BANNED

Do you have my e-mail address????

reply here for the moment

Cheers
Luke
Old 07 February 2001, 09:18 PM
Legacy GTB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Here's a pic of my car at the Turoa Skifield in the middle of New Zealand's North Island. It's a little java applet and may take a momont or two to load, but I think it adds to the picture.
Old 07 February 2001, 10:26 PM
Clever Trevor
Scooby Regular

Not quite sure what language your talking -but the "reflection" effect is mega!
Old 08 February 2001, 08:38 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Luke, ahh no email addy in the profile. Well take a look at this link
Old 09 February 2001, 09:52 AM
legacyb4
Scooby Regular

Stupot,

Thanks for mentioning the site. I've been trying to grow awareness around the B4 mailing list and the recently revamped website.

I, for one among others, will vouch that the simple $30 wiring job is well worth the effort. Whether you view it as an improvement on the current system or perhaps making up for what should have been there in the first place, beefing up the earthing on various components on the car *does* make a difference.

Stu posted the summary earlier so I won't bother to repeat him but my McIntosh system sounds better than my home system now...

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 09 February 2001, 09:56 AM
legacyb4
Scooby Regular

Just rereading the entire thread and realized that the summary of what it does and not why it works wasn't posted. In short:

1) the engine revs smoother up and down the scale as well as smoother idling

2) at low (sub-3,000) rpms, engine response is improved and much snappier than before

3) better audio system performance (much fuller bass and cleaner high ends)

4) less of the 'valley of death' between the first and second turbos

5) (supposedly) better mileage although I'm still waiting to run through my first tank to verify

Cheers.

Jeff
Old 09 February 2001, 11:19 AM
Legacy GTB
Scooby Regular

Question

The 'Earthing Mod' looks interesting. Does anybody with any Scooby technical knowledge have any comment (ProDrive, Subaru, hint hint!)

It makes a degree of sense to me and I can't see any possible detrimental effect to the car in running the wiring, nor any specific benefit to any party in promoting it, so does it work!!!

Anyone tried it yet?
Old 09 February 2001, 11:28 AM
Luke
BANNED

Legacyb4.

Hi Jeff
You have a "Macintosh " system in your car???

PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK !!!!!!!!!!!

That must be one hell of an Instalation
Tell us more.

Luke
Old 09 February 2001, 12:36 PM
Luke
BANNED

Stu
"Full on" and thanks. Not sure if my single turbo 4.cam would have same problem. But hey what the hell .Nip dwn to "Maplins and get some funky cable. If it doesn't help, it will still look trick!!!

Luke
Old 09 February 2001, 01:12 PM
legacyb4
Scooby Regular

Smile

Luke,

Well, there's not much to tell! When Subaru first introduced the B4 back in 98, they were so unsure of if it would sell, the Revision A buyers got a hell of a deal on any of the options.

I opted to get the B4 RSK, tinted windows, aeroparts package (front bumper, front grill, and rear wing), and the sports package which was the two-tone leather interior and McIntosh audio system (not the computer system!!!). For a measly US$800 extra on the audio package, this meant I got the B4 with additional soundproofing for the 11 speaker (2 x tweeter, 4 x dual tweeter & midrange, 1 x subwoofer) and 150W amp and CD/cassette/radio unit. Recent releases now have a CD/MD/radio rather than cassette... total cost on the car on the road was about US$25,000 or so plus change.

I've been pretty modest with my upgrades to this point focusing more on suspension tuning, brakes, and light exhaust tuning. I'm trying to stay away from major engine mods due to price as well as not really having a need for more power...

The last set of mods I did (earthing system, rear tower bar) have really smoothened out the car and I'm extremely happy with the way the car rides at this point.

As far as 'promoting' the benefits of the earthing system, I obviously don't benefit if anyone installs it, but as I have gotten good results and have heard many similar stories (B4 owners in Japan have been doing this since last year), I can only recommend trying it out. In fact, I highly recommend NOT buying a ready-made kit (they run in the neighborhood of US$250 or so here) and taking a Saturday afternoon off to build your own.

I've posted (what I hope are) clear instructions and pictures on how to connect things up on my site so feel free to use the information!

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 09 February 2001, 01:53 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Old 09 February 2001, 04:54 PM
aar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My Legacy 4-cam Turbo estate never really impressed me much until one day I was using it to jump start my rally car. The rally car has very high compression and refused to start. The Legacy was left running and the engine note showed how much the alternator was struggling to cope.

After this I drove the Legacy down the road and I was at a complete loss to understand why it had taken on a new lease of life...a completely different car which went as well as I'd originally expected....I returned with a big smile.

Apparently, while I'd been trying to start the other car the Legacy battery terminals had been smoking! The heat generated in the wiring must have 'welded' some connections somewhere. The extra earthing cables suggested in the links above must help avoid any poor connections.

Maybe jump starting a dead tractor is a good (easier?) way of refreshing your earth connections....

Aside of this, the info on the suggested wiring methods in the web link given above could be modified. Trailing large cables across the engine bay is messy and they should always be properly tied or clipped. Nice colour of cable but still looks botched... Also would it not be better to connect all those extra ends to a remote point - something like a 'Mini' exhaust mounting rubber fixed to the chassis/body which will allow flexing and which is connected back by one cable to the battery. Battery posts do not like being flexed which is what will occur with the ineria/weight of the extra cables.
Old 09 February 2001, 08:40 PM
Luke
BANNED

Well this "EARTHING MOD THREAD" has taken off big time.

I managed 4. points today .will tackle alternator tomorrow.I could only find in "MAPLINS" 70.amp cable. Is this really too small. Looks nice!!!

Report as soon as possible.

Luke
Old 09 February 2001, 09:45 PM
Legacy GTB
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Jeff and welcome aboard! I've seen plenty of your car when surfing looking for images and specs for my ex-Japan GTB.

Luke, I'm sorry, but my car also has the McIntosh system! I was going to replace it because IMHO it is one UGLY head unit, but I luckily put a CD in first and played the Eagles 'Hell Freezes Over' in first. OH MY GOD! Yes, I'll keep it in for now......

Hope you don't mind Jeff, but here's a pic of your stereo for general perusal...

And the stereo really sounded better after this mod?? Awesome.
Old 09 February 2001, 11:30 PM
Luke
BANNED

I've told you once and I shall tell you again
"Macintosh" for that price. What are you doing to me?????? I only get to see my Girlfriend 6 times a year (Istanbul).
my life is hard ....
And some of you *******s have got "Macintosh" Hi-fi in your Car.

And you dont like the look of it !!!!!!
you cant please everyone .....

And then to make matters worse you post a bloody photo!!.

Now will someone let me know if the cable I have used is too thin.

Bollocks to you all. I'm going to mount my "QUAD EL57's "to my wing mirrors that will teach you!!!

Luke
Old 10 February 2001, 12:29 PM
legacyb4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Luke,

My friend Paul started with 70 amp wire, but I'd have to say stick with 80 amp or larger for the wiring job.

Right now, I've got 220 amp (thanks to another guy who participated in the wiring fiesta) which is why it's strung so haphazardly across my engine bay... the wire was so thick and hard, it was impossible to cut!

When I have some free time, I think I might go in and replace with 100-150 amp if I can find it in the right color :-)

BTW, I posted some additional material last night to the Others page; these are some mini .mpg movies taken at the last Impreza Owners Club meeting that I was invited to attend. Richard Burns was there and put on quite a show with passengers on board the new WRX rally car prototype...

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Any Legacy GTB or B4 enthusiasts out there?