ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2008-2010 2.5ltr Engine Failures

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2010, 12:37 PM
Simon Green
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob84
no the short motor isnt going to fix the problem.

the mapping is all wrong on the prodrive kits and 330s versions.

subaru are tightening up on engine claims now. example we stripped an engine monday to find out the cause of failure. we submitted a claim to I.M they replied requesting photos and proof of service history, we sent that back. they then reply asking for a written form with data on taken from the car so they could send it back to the factory. tomorrow is D day if they are going to pay for the repair or not so its 4 days and theyve not made a decision yet. it used to be a simple phone call to request an authorisation number to do the job
Sounds familiar, although our latest went through within a few hours once all paperwork was processed. 3k miles and 3 months since last replacement with updated PAK file already installed.
You haven't been requested to take photos of the drivers seat and handle to determine 'the position of the customer's driving position' then?!
Old 17 September 2010, 01:02 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've lost the link now, but on the hatch owners forum there is a copy of the paperwork required to make a warranty claim.

I believe it includes a DNA check and pledging your allegiance to the queen....
Old 17 September 2010, 02:58 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
they've got 78 short motors sat at I.M lol
All them engines and there ain't a problem. Now isn't that strange
Old 17 September 2010, 05:24 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

Being a cynical old sod,maybe Subaru know the engines that will fail,batch no etc bad piston eh!maybe there are so many this is damage limitation
Old 17 September 2010, 05:34 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know Rob says the PPP and 330S maps are "All Wrong" but I have had NO luck with the dealer getting them to tell me the version no. of the map on my 330S or to reflash with latest fixed version.

I get the mantra ....."PPP and 330S ECUs ( maps ) have fixed the problem."

Mine is still OK at 10,000 miles, Sept 2009 model ....

Hope it IS fixed in later 2009 on models!
Old 17 September 2010, 07:28 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Green
Sounds familiar, although our latest went through within a few hours once all paperwork was processed. 3k miles and 3 months since last replacement with updated PAK file already installed.
You haven't been requested to take photos of the drivers seat and handle to determine 'the position of the customer's driving position' then?!

haha No not yet, we were expecting to take photos of the tyres/suspension/seating position/fuel pump/ecu etc etc. you've seen the bulletin then

Last edited by rob84; 06 October 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 17 September 2010, 11:43 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Butty
I've lost the link now, but on the hatch owners forum there is a copy of the paperwork required to make a warranty claim.

I believe it includes a DNA check and pledging your allegiance to the queen....
Ta da
http://subaruhatch.forumotion.com/en...ilure-t211.htm
Old 18 September 2010, 02:15 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

I can see the relevance in some of the questions if Subaru are looking at route cause analysis and engineering a fix to be implement in a recall/upgrade of components that fail. Other questions definately seem to be looking to refuse the warranty claim. After all if the car has been heavily modified then why should Subaru pick up the bill if there is a failure? But if the car is standard and obviously unmodified, as a customer who has paid a lot of money for a car which has suffered a catastrophic engine failure, I would resent the accusation that the failure is down to me, and for me to prove that it wasn't, especially with the number of failures that are occurring! The fact that a document has been specially drawn up to track the failures surely raises questions.....how prevalent is this engine failure and if Subaru know about it why arn't they doing more to resolve it? Driver seat position....now what's that all about?

Last edited by VinceW; 18 September 2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 18 September 2010, 07:20 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Vince

There will of course be modified monsters which should always fall outside of the terms of cover. The simple fact though is that there is an inherent issue with the Hatch engine. There is evidence from right around the globe that proves beyond doubt there are issues which can effect both standard and lightly modded cars.

Subaru are fully aware of this and will have known a long time ago what the cause of the failure is. What they will not do is be big and brave enough to tackle the problem in a proactive way. They are IMO commiting commercial suicide........but hey they seem to know best.

With regards to the claim document I think you are being very kind with the research theory. Again IMO it's sole purpose is to wriggle out of any claim they can.
Old 18 September 2010, 08:31 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

what is IM, see it all over this thread but dont know what it is?
Old 18 September 2010, 08:38 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

they are the official uk importer of subaru in the uk

http://www.imgroup.co.uk/about-us1/r...tation/subaru/
Old 18 September 2010, 11:23 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob........

Just looking at some STi5/6 heads for the rebuild

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...-cams-etc.html

Shaun
Old 18 September 2010, 11:44 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Rob........

Just looking at some STi5/6 heads for the rebuild

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...-cams-etc.html

Shaun
Look spot on for the build those do Bolt straight on without any issues
Old 19 September 2010, 09:32 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

It's obvious they have tried to tick too many boxes with the final specification without testing the implications properly. Emissions testing rules haven't helped one bit! The compromises are the killer.
The actual car is ace in my view, having spent a lot of time driving these during evaluation. I'd say most Subaru owners are into modifying anyway, considering we rarely see a totally standard one.
With a forged engine, these have so much potential. Considering new software systems are just about ready to launch, I'd be telling Subaru to shove it.
Old 19 September 2010, 09:59 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

As above, what is it with the driver's driving position and seat handle?! What are they trying to make from this?!!!

It is a disgrace they want photos of the tyres. So what if the tyres are worn are they going to say the car was driven hard?!

Maybe they should put a note when they sell the car not to exceed 1,500 rpm otherwise potential engine damage might ocur.

You guys should get together and write to the press and scare them with legal action, this is really ridiculous.

Last edited by fpan; 19 September 2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 19 September 2010, 12:40 PM
jonezy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
As above, what is it with the driver's driving position and seat handle?! What are they trying to make from this?!!!

It is a disgrace they want photos of the tyres. So what if the tyres are worn are they going to say the car was driven hard?!

Maybe they should put a note when they sell the car not to exceed 1,500 rpm otherwise potential engine damage might ocur.

You guys should get together and write to the press and scare them with legal action, this is really ridiculous.

i thought everyone was taking the **** asking for seat positions!

they are just dragging it out to me, saying that, if you have your seat at a 45 degree angle, they wont pay.
Old 19 September 2010, 12:47 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by mickp
Subaru are fully aware of this and will have known a long time ago what the cause of the failure is. What they will not do is be big and brave enough to tackle the problem in a proactive way. They are IMO commiting commercial suicide........but hey they seem to know best.
Look at the Toyota disaster though ... seems a better solution for manufacturers to keep it covered & then battle it out with individual customers rather than bite the bullet. BMW do it all the time don't they didn't they have turbo problems with their diesels a few years back?

TX.

Edit - what I can't understand though is why they've not "fixed" it from a certain date onwards rather than keep building to a known faulty spec

2nd edit - aren't you hatch owners concerned about residuals ... they'll be hard to sell on surely. I'd rather give it back TBH.

Last edited by Terminator X; 19 September 2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 19 September 2010, 01:25 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

New software systems - would these be the ECUTek features..... long awaited flat shifting, etc.??

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
It's obvious they have tried to tick too many boxes with the final specification without testing the implications properly. Emissions testing rules haven't helped one bit! The compromises are the killer.
The actual car is ace in my view, having spent a lot of time driving these during evaluation. I'd say most Subaru owners are into modifying anyway, considering we rarely see a totally standard one.
With a forged engine, these have so much potential. Considering new software systems are just about ready to launch, I'd be telling Subaru to shove it.
Old 19 September 2010, 03:25 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
New software systems - would these be the ECUTek features..... long awaited flat shifting, etc.??
I hope so I've emailed Andy forrest and its close very close
Old 19 September 2010, 07:00 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Well Rob, I am with Andy F on 7 Oct, hope these will be in place by then!!!
Old 21 September 2010, 07:41 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I'd say the benefit of live mapping is the main issue, but yes, there are plenty of toys as well. We're just wrapping up a Hatch as we speak, 450 bhp and stunning response to match.
Old 21 September 2010, 09:01 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

what turbo you using in that one Alan?
Old 22 September 2010, 02:46 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
SC46. As close to stock spool as you'll see, and plenty of power.
Graph to follow.
Old 22 September 2010, 10:37 PM
amc
Scooby Newbie

Default 08 -10 engine problems

hi new to this forum have a euro 08 impreza and was looking at a custom remap and exhaust from litchfield but am bit concerned about problems with the engine car has done 7300 miles can anyone advise cheers.
Old 22 September 2010, 10:45 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amc
hi new to this forum have a euro 08 impreza and was looking at a custom remap and exhaust from litchfield but am bit concerned about problems with the engine car has done 7300 miles can anyone advise cheers.
I'm bound to say this in view of the above, but there is only one solution.
Get that engine out and get it forged, then sit back and relax and enjoy the car.
Old 22 September 2010, 10:55 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
This is the graph from the SC46. 1.5 bar boost, virtually flat line, full boost at 3500 on the dyno, so slightly better on the road. It pulls from 2000 rpm in 6th gear.

Old 22 September 2010, 11:38 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
I'd say the benefit of live mapping is the main issue, but yes, there are plenty of toys as well. We're just wrapping up a Hatch as we speak, 450 bhp and stunning response to match.
Well aware of the benefits of live mapping ( apexi PFC user for many happy years! ) it was the new toys I was after with this hatch ECUTek remap, waiting for them for when I get remapped shortly, hope they are there for then!
Old 22 September 2010, 11:40 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Very nice graph Alan, looks like no loss of response or spool lag, were there any changes to the headers / up pipe with this SC46 turbo - and standard fitment to OEM up and down pipes?

I assume the red lines are the std VF48 turbo on a hatch STi and the blue lines are the SC46 turbo??

V
Old 22 September 2010, 11:46 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

I suppose I have to ask, what is the approximate cost for sorting a basic forged build ( inc competition type bearings, gaskets, bolts etc. ) that can take this turbo, and the turbo?

And then a build with the niceties of head work, and other items like head studs, or things not in basic build?

Finally, you mentioned in earlier post using new short engines for power builds, what does this add to the cost?

I was vaguely thinking of having a spare hi po engine built in case mine blows, as would really need it sorting in a few days as only car / daily driver etc. but would want a high spec motor built if / while doing the job!!

Cheers,
Old 22 September 2010, 11:49 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...I was vaguely thinking of having a spare hi po engine built in case mine blows, as would really need it sorting in a few days as only car / daily driver etc. but would want a high spec motor built if / while doing the job!!

Cheers,
API offer a courtesy car service..........

Quick Reply: 2008-2010 2.5ltr Engine Failures