Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car Crime In France??

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2002, 11:40 AM
MyDreamCar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody have any idea how the car crime figures in France - for theft and for malicious damage compare with the figures here?? -Im considering driving through France this summer and taking the scoob - arent they a bit unusual over there? and does this attract the wrong sort of attention??

Any views?
Old 25 March 2002, 01:48 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Dreamcar

Thinking of hitting France for some grape squishing action. I’m thinking about doing it too, exploring some of the winery valleys etc. excellent roads out there.

I don’t anything about statistics but I have driven/been driven in some gorgeous cars over there many times and have had no problems. The French aren’t stupid car damaging disrespectful to$$3rs like the scum in this country. They look appreciate and move on. The only times you will have problems are from there lack of parking skills, or their determination that “they will” get into this spot. I’ve seen one French guy in a new Alfa 156 pushing along a Merc E class and BMW 5 the other end with his front/rear bumpers so he cold get his car in, he must of moved them 6” each. And another pushing a Ferrari along with his BMW 7.!!. Damn amazing to watch.

The best bit is that the French as a hole don’t know much about the Impreza, so they either treat you with awe as you’ve got a wicked spoiler up car, or not notice you at all.

M
Old 25 March 2002, 01:55 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

They are a more cultured and civilised nation there, and have far less of the scum that we seem to breed here, and that I contribute in benefits for. I have had no problems at all in France - parking in communal car parks even.

D
(somewhat to the right of centre on this one, after noticing another few scratches and another mangled door lock...)
Old 25 March 2002, 05:54 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

GB plates makes your car vulnerable in cities - just as bad as over here - especially bordeaux and avignon in my experience.
Don't be tempted to leave anything visible in the car.
Interestingly, I was told by the local police on more than one occasion that the perpetrators were actually largely from outside france including the UK !!! - seems you just can't get away from the *******.

fwiw - on one occasion I had a vehicle broken into in bordeaux (for the umpteenth time)and all they took was an old pair of trainers and a jar of marmite ! - this was with a sign in the front window (in french and english) stating there was nothing left in overnight.

street crime is just as bad in french cities as over here for similar reasons - ie no police foot patrols or a justice system to deal with the offenders properly.

employ some common sense when leaving your vehicle unattended and you should be ok

Paul W

Old 25 March 2002, 08:22 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hi dream car!
just be on your guard! there are alot of imigrants around france with no money, so oppurtunists and breakins if things are left visible!

A client of mine was travelling through france a couple of months ago and they never leave the car unattended, this time at the services they both went in the services, whilst in there some ****** punctured the tyre which they didnt notice, they got about a mile down the road where they had to pull in to soon be greeted by some ***** who robbed them. i know this doesent happen often but it does.

Also my mate got is mobile home broken into. then 2 days later got knocked off his bike and nearly killed by a immigrant in a stolen car, they caught him and they hospital service was first class!

As for car damage my brother got his door mirrors stolen off his M3! in the south of france too. didnt realise till it was time to reverse out from where it was parked and hey presto!

sorry to sound a glum basterward but just becarefull as you would over here!

happy hols Lee
Old 25 March 2002, 09:27 PM
Harry Potter
Scooby Regular

Attempted car jacking of my 22B on way down to Catalunia 2 years ago.

Had keys with me going into kiosk to pay. So Algerian chaps beat girlfriend up and stole her bag whilst the guy on the till provaricated for long enough to make it obvious an inside job.

Even lifted the barrier to let them drive away even when obvious what was going on as I was chasing after them! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

So avoid Paris peripherique petrol stations! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by Harry Potter - 3/25/2002 9:29:22 PM]
Old 25 March 2002, 11:10 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

Don't park it overnight in the Port of Calais....(The holiday INN has an underground car park) It's known for dodgey illegal imigrants to smash your rear window and nick your girlfriends riding boots (for the horse of course)... but leave the stereo !!
Old 26 March 2002, 07:14 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Been to France many times & never had a problem, as with the UK park it sensibly & as others have said dont leave anything visible to tempt opertunist thieves, their are thieves in all countries but the only way to beat them is to stay at home which is no fun, after all what is insurance for anyway. The only problem I have heard of was a friend who put their car on the train to go through France & a group of thieves systimatically worked through about 75% of the cars.
Make sure your insurance is a good one including a good recovery package, I believe their may be a Scooby dealer in Paris but I understand apart from that your on your own, however scoobys are super reliable
The driving in France is much more fun than the UK, the fuel is cheaper, the food is better, the wine is better, the sun is hotter, the bikinis are 1 piece etc etc, dont consider it, DO IT
Old 26 March 2002, 07:59 AM
Rog A
Scooby Regular

Used to live in Valence(about an hour south of Lyon), driven all over the south of France, for the main part never had any trouble, but like the others have advised, be careful where you leave it. Left mine in a high street parking space overnight (due to weekly market restrictions from 4.00 the next morning!!) and returned to find somebody had had a go at it, and kindly left their knife blade in the lock barrel!!. And all this was to a mk 2 Astra shame . Maybe they're not as adept as they're english counterparts.

But the roads are fantastic, enjoy your trip

Rog A