Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sick and tired of these think bike adverts!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2010, 06:46 PM
prestigesec
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick and tired of these think bike adverts!!!!!!

As title says i am sick of listening to the adverts that portray bikers to be the saints of the road.

All day long i see bikers darting between traffic like lunatics undertake overtake anything just to get past.

One in traffic today bent cars wing mirror backwards trying to get to front of everyone at the lights and didnt even aknowledge the fact.

I know there are plenty of idiots who drive cars around but i cant honestly remember the last time i saw a motorbike being riden normally.

I know bikes are harder to see than cars because of the size of them but id bet they wouldnt have half as many accidents if they just rode normally and not like they stole it and delivering a kidney.

Apologies to the sensible bikers out there but this advert for some reason has been getting on my t*ts for ages now. Rant over ha ha.
Old 18 March 2010, 07:12 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

its the same thing with cars tho mate. A few young boys driving like ***** in 'done up' cars gives every other person the label of a 'boy racer' just because of a certain type of car they drive. Its the small few that ruin it for everyone else. All us bikers get tared with the same brush.
Old 18 March 2010, 07:23 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I used to ride a bike mate.
Think the ad is a good one (with the big fair ground style lights on the bikes)
Got taken off a few years ago thanks to someone deciding to do a u turn and not look. Subsequently knocking me off and me then sliding into the kerb and shattering my knee and breaking my shin. Now walk with a permanent limp cos someone didnt, as they say in the ad "think bike"
I know it's annoying, but it's ment to burn itself into your brain so you might remeber it when you are out and about.
Old 18 March 2010, 07:23 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

It is also legal for bikes to traffic filter. Some car drivers seem to take exception to this for some strange reason. There are some idiotic bike riders, there are some idiotic car drivers.

The difference is if you hit another car you have to exchange insurance details, you hit a biker you will likely be in the local paper for killing someone.

Put it into perspective and THINK bike, no matter how annoying a minority is.
Old 18 March 2010, 07:31 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prestigesec
As title says i am sick of listening to the adverts that portray bikers to be the saints of the road.

All day long i see bikers darting between traffic like lunatics undertake overtake anything just to get past.

One in traffic today bent cars wing mirror backwards trying to get to front of everyone at the lights and didnt even aknowledge the fact.

I know there are plenty of idiots who drive cars around but i cant honestly remember the last time i saw a motorbike being riden normally.

I know bikes are harder to see than cars because of the size of them but id bet they wouldnt have half as many accidents if they just rode normally and not like they stole it and delivering a kidney.

Apologies to the sensible bikers out there but this advert for some reason has been getting on my t*ts for ages now. Rant over ha ha.
+1 here mate. They drive like tossers most of them i see, and after hanging on ya blind spot with their main beam on fly past as though the eg double white lines are for cars only. For every one i see that drives fine there's 20 that don't, that's the reason they ride them, if they were heavily limited there would be alot less bikes on the road. The tosser comment is only aimed at those who deserve btw.
Old 18 March 2010, 07:38 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well,im 1 said t0sser most the time

The 1 time i did get knocked off i was doing 28 in a 30 and got t boned from a car driver,so go fiigure ?
Old 18 March 2010, 07:43 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

I agree there are lots of bikers which need re training, as it's so easy to pick up bad habbits, and just keep doing these bad habbits untill its part of every ride you take. I think there should be heavy limiting on bikers these days. Which to be honest the government are now doing (by stopping these intensive training courses which allow you to learn and pass within 5 days!) They are also starting to have a limit on the power a bike can produce with a novice rider. Limiting it for the first two years of riding.
Oh by the way i wasn't filtering, was a two lane road each way (guy crossed my lane to do u turn!) Thought i'd mention that.
Old 18 March 2010, 08:36 PM
prestigesec
Scooby Regular

I know its not all bikers but for some reason it seems like it is, and the fact you can filter traffic is not a problem thats a big plus for bikers no traffic jams.

But every time i see bikers round by me or anywhere for that matter they look like they have a death wish with the speeds they drive through traffic and are an accident waiting to happen.

Advert should be dont ride like an idiot and THINK CAR there bigger and made of steel you wont win.

At the end of the day we all know the risks of driving or riding on the road today.
Old 18 March 2010, 10:09 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

Have been riding bikes, for over 30 years.

And..... I am a Tosser.

The unfortunate thing AFAIAC. Is the fact that car development, has way outstretched the technology of bikes. The days of when Bikes were an economical and swift type of transport. are long gone.

The roads are much more crowded now. The best advantage a Bike has now is its slimness and manouverability. Top speeds and acceleration have been caught up by "Family Hatchbacks".

Therefore. Buying a bike has to be justified somehow.

So Traffic dodging. Is what we do nowadays.

Other than "Trackday Recreation" That can be the only purpose of a Bike ATMO?

2007 R1.
Old 19 March 2010, 12:40 AM
New_scooby_04

I THINK you'll enjoy this advert mate!

Old 19 March 2010, 01:19 AM
Will
BANNED

Old 19 March 2010, 01:36 AM
sg72
Scooby Regular

You haven't been there.

Have you?

You's 'm d'*****.
Old 19 March 2010, 09:13 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the road sign "Is there a biker in your blind spot?"

How do I know, define blind spot!
Old 19 March 2010, 09:20 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jd5217
How about the road sign "Is there a biker in your blind spot?"

How do I know, define blind spot!
It means move your head before you move your wheel you bone idle cage driver.

To be fair, most car drivers are great with bikers but there is a minority who simply don't look as have too much going on in their cars, can't hear you as have music too loud and then there are the planks who do see you and envy your freedom so try to block you.
Old 19 March 2010, 09:23 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

As a bike rider I think they are a good idea.
Lots of people get pi**ed off with bikes just because they aren't stuck in the traffic and think they shouldn't get through if they can
Same when it snows and you are in a 4X4 people think you should just sit in the jam.
Obviously there are those that do it dangerously but they will only do it so many times then it will hurt
Old 19 March 2010, 09:39 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Maybe if more car drivers paid a little more attention to the road, instead of chatting on phones, programming sat navs, eating, drinking, smoking etc etc etc etc then these adverts wouldn't be needed.

I to had an accident recently, silly **** done a U turn didn't look and smashed right into me ffs Wrote my bike off and fecking hurt.
Old 19 March 2010, 09:47 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikkel
It means move your head before you move your wheel you bone idle cage driver.

To be fair, most car drivers are great with bikers but there is a minority who simply don't look as have too much going on in their cars, can't hear you as have music too loud and then there are the planks who do see you and envy your freedom so try to block you.
I do look out for bike riders as there are many down here and used to be one many years ago, however the statement is misleading to 90% of drivers.

"Blind spot" means unable to see in that area, so how can you see a biker in the "blind spot".
Old 19 March 2010, 11:34 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jd5217
"Blind spot" means unable to see in that area, so how can you see a biker in the "blind spot".
The "blind spot" is the area blind to your mirrors, or that is how I understand it. If you turn your head and use your eyes, as opposed to your mirrors, then that spot is no longer blind.

Of course some vehicles do have "blind spots" even to the eye but that is when bikers need to be aware that they cannot be seen. Like anything it is just a bit of effort and common sense on both sides required.

Last edited by Mikkel; 19 March 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 19 March 2010, 12:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Surprising just how many bikers actually ride in a car's blind spot, though.

The adverts "Thnk bike!" are OK, I suppose, but we need some with punctuation:

"Think, bike!"
Old 19 March 2010, 01:13 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Surprising just how many bikers actually ride in a car's blind spot, though.
A lot of bike riders (me included) ride to the right of the lane gives you more room to avoid whatever comes up and you can see much better to pass but if you ride to close you will be totally in the blind spot. From our point of view we can see you and your not the danger.
Old 19 March 2010, 02:26 PM
JulioJordio2
Scooby Regular

Sorry to jump off topic slightly, but I have been thinking about getting a sports bike.

I'm unsure whether you can pass your test and then buy what you want, or are you limited to two years at a certain cc or is that age related?
Old 19 March 2010, 02:40 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JulioJordio2
Sorry to jump off topic slightly, but I have been thinking about getting a sports bike.

I'm unsure whether you can pass your test and then buy what you want, or are you limited to two years at a certain cc or is that age related?

If things are still the same as when I did mine nearly two years ago, then you could do a "direct access" course which entitled you to ride whatever you choose afterwards. Or you could have done a "restricted access" course, which restricts you to 33bhp (I think) so you can still ride what you want as long as you had the vehicle restricted to that power level. Or just chose a suitable bike.

I did the direct course and bought a Ninja.
Old 19 March 2010, 02:45 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Doesn't it also depend on age? Young riders are also restricted to certain levels of power. As mentioned you can ride an R1 as long as it is restricted to 33 bhp.

They introduced a new stricter bike test last spring/summer, so I'm not sure what the rules are now regarding direct access.
Old 19 March 2010, 03:11 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbaz
A lot of bike riders (me included) ride to the right of the lane gives you more room to avoid whatever comes up and you can see much better to pass but if you ride to close you will be totally in the blind spot. From our point of view we can see you and your not the danger.
A mate of mine used to drive his RX8 exactly like his bike - i.e. coast right up behind someone and hang off their rear bumper before overtaking.
I personally don't see why bikes don't do the same as cars and take up a central position in the road, because as Alcazar points out - if you get too close it's more difficult to see ya (especially if you have a high level spoiler on yer Scoob ).

Then again - I don't ride a bike so I don't know what the difficulties are.
I don't get annoyed if bikes overtake stationary traffic - that's when they're great - you don't have to put up with jams.
What does annoy me is when some bellend comes hooning through stationary traffic at about 40 or 50 mph when at any moment someone could change lanes - to me, if they get hit in those conditions they've got nobody to blame but themselves - you need to ride according to conditions, whether on a bike or a car, especially in the morning when I reckon around 60-70% of drivers are half asleep and extremely unobservant.

Just because you can proceed doesn't mean you have to in "maximum attack mode" after all .

Last edited by MrNoisy; 19 March 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 19 March 2010, 04:10 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
A mate of mine used to drive his RX8 exactly like his bike - i.e. coast right up behind someone and hang off their rear bumper before overtaking.
I personally don't see why bikes don't do the same as cars and take up a central position in the road, because as Alcazar points out - if you get too close it's more difficult to see ya (especially if you have a high level spoiler on yer Scoob ).

Then again - I don't ride a bike so I don't know what the difficulties are.
I didn't mean get really close to the car in front but been close to the white line gives you a better view and more room to move either way if you are in the center of your lane you haven't got much room to move to the left if you needed to.
Old 19 March 2010, 04:26 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I Never follow a car in the centre of a lane, if the car slams its brakes on for any reason, you have nowhere to go but right into the back of it, I know you should leave the correct braking distance etc, but accidents happen and this reduces the risk dramatically. IMO of course.
Old 19 March 2010, 04:51 PM
WIZZY2376
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I Never follow a car in the centre of a lane, if the car slams its brakes on for any reason, you have nowhere to go but right into the back of it, I know you should leave the correct braking distance etc, but accidents happen and this reduces the risk dramatically. IMO of course.
I dont disagree mate but i was told by an instructor , a car driver is more likely to notice your head light if its bang in the middle of the road behind him/her. Why would a car head light be in that position on the road ? They are supposed to think. I passed my test years ago so thinking might of changed by now. Still think a good stopping distance is the real answer IMOA
Old 19 March 2010, 04:59 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I agree, however if I ride over to the left/right then I can also see what the second car in front is doing as well, most of the time I'm on the brakes before the car in front of me is.
Old 19 March 2010, 05:15 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

On my bandit - sitty up commuter bike. I try to stay central so the car driver can see me and also because I can see over his car to see what is happening up ahead. If a 4x4 or van is in front of me I back right off and stay to the middle, so they can see me in their wing mirrors should they care to check...

On my blade, all the cars are behind me lol
Old 19 March 2010, 05:17 PM
WIZZY2376
Scooby Regular

What ever keeps you safe. There is a couple of anti bike threads going on at the minute, some peoples views and attitudes worry me. I ride bikes because i love it, most people i know drive cars because they have to, theres a massive difference in attitude between the two. Regardless of non bikers views, I know i cant rely on other road users seeing me and ride and drive with that in mind.

Quick Reply: Sick and tired of these think bike adverts!!!!!!