Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

300 bhp classic v EP3 Civic Type R

Old 20 November 2009, 11:24 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 bhp classic v EP3 Civic Type R

I'm considering a swap from a 300bhp classic to a Type R civic.

How do these cars compare to a modded 99 classic as i've never driven the Type R but seen one on track and it looked and sounded awesome.

How tuneable is the Type R being normaly aspirated ?

Anyone owned both?

SIAL perhaps but new input is always appreciated.
Old 20 November 2009, 11:44 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want?

sound awesome!

great engine and box!

not as quick as your car but still fun!

absolutely **** in the wet though! unless u have an lsd

around 230bhp is normal for them, with k pro mapped with breathing mods.. vtec then kicks in at 4700rpm and rev limit is extended to 8.9k i believe
k pro mapping costs £700 tho..dont go the cheap route i.e. dastek unichip.. heard bad things about them, not sure if its hearsay though

anything more than that is really wasting your money due to them being n/a

unless you got supercharged/turbocharged route? but then its expensive and less reliable and throwing that much money at a civic is rediculous as you could spend same and get more power from a scooby!

Last edited by eggy790; 20 November 2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 20 November 2009, 11:56 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, good start.
Old 21 November 2009, 09:19 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

you wont need to turbo or supercharge as it will be hell putting the power down stage one mods with a nice race manifold and cams and you will be more than ok. i had 2 dc2 before both never gave problems very reliable. speed wise there fun and quick but not classic Sti quick. get one you will love it better mpg and better on long drives oh yes 10 times more reliable you dont have to minitor temps oil pressure etc 24/7 lol
Old 21 November 2009, 11:26 AM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Funny enough Ive been looking at getting a new motor sometime after xmas. Its either going to be a uk integra dc2 or type ra. Head says integra, heart says impreza. Ive had three subarus and fancy a change, plus i really want to do track days next year so its going to be the integra....... i think!!!!!!

Dan.
Old 21 November 2009, 12:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to know if that type of power delivery is your thing. I currently drive a 172 which obviously has a similar delivery to the CTR, and to be quite honest it does my box in. To get any overtaking done safely - you gotta rev it. To make any sort of progress - you gotta rev it. To have any fun - you gotta rev it. Quite frankly, it's tiresome and i spend most of my time just cruising. I miss the delivery of a turbo'd car - in fact, whenever my lasses Fab VRS is sat doing nowt, i pick the keys to that up every time.
Think i might be getting old
Old 21 November 2009, 12:44 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
You need to know if that type of power delivery is your thing. I currently drive a 172 which obviously has a similar delivery to the CTR, and to be quite honest it does my box in. To get any overtaking done safely - you gotta rev it. To make any sort of progress - you gotta rev it. To have any fun - you gotta rev it. Quite frankly, it's tiresome and i spend most of my time just cruising. I miss the delivery of a turbo'd car - in fact, whenever my lasses Fab VRS is sat doing nowt, i pick the keys to that up every time.
Think i might be getting old

i have had both dc2 98 spec r and 172 clio cup i really didnt like the steering wheel postion on the clio once it got going it was pretty nippy. the dc2 not only did it only handle better it was quicker and more reliable than the clio but ugly looking thing one thing i do miss is the big hugging red recaros and the seating postion better the the subaru and more comfortable imho i miss my teg lol
Old 21 November 2009, 01:16 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

mmm..... had a Clio 172 and hoped the CTR would be worlds away from the Clio....?
Old 21 November 2009, 01:18 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
mmm..... had a Clio 172 and hoped the CTR would be worlds away from the Clio....?

i drove a ctr for a day in the expense of my dc2 and i thought it was great loved the gearbox just felt a bit too refined
Old 21 November 2009, 01:26 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a EP3 CTR before my STi and although they are fun in the dry, they are sh1te in the wet, especially on the Bridgestones RE050s they come with from new. But like whats already been said there's no low down torque at all so to make any progress you've gotta rev it HARD, even cruising on a motorway @ 80 Mph there's so little torque avb you have to change down to 5th to have any decent acceleration. Soon gets to be very boring
Old 21 November 2009, 03:18 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

bodski ill have to disagree i love the whole idea of the thing revving i just love the sound of vetec sounds much like a touring car i agree with you have to make the effort but its defo worth while with some stage one breathing mods, belive it or not i actuley got more fun driving the dc2 as it lasted longer than the scooby. a blast in the scooby will last you 10 seconds and you got to let off the dc2 takes a while before your doing crazy speeds so more fun for your buk i should sell the scoob and buy another teg or even an nsx
Old 22 November 2009, 09:31 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

The Ep3 civic has a k20a same a the dc5 and cannot rev upto 8.9k without uprating a few things i.e the gearbox i had a dc5 rotrex superharged which redlined upto 8.5 which was quite stressful on the gearbox but fun

On the k pro you trade you old ECU in and its a 500 quid swap with launch control free of charge you can set the vtec crossover to whatever you want mine was set to 4.5 coupled with the 14 psi of boost coming in like a jackhammer it was fun
Old 22 November 2009, 10:33 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i've got an ep3 at the minute and love it to bits, it is sh1te in the wet and the snow and will just spin the front wheels out of junctions until about 3rd gear if you let it, you do need to control the clutch a bit more than any other car i've driven.
60 mph is 3000rpm and i get about 270-300 mls to a tank depending on how much you vtec it and it costs about £43 to fill it right up.
the only mods i've got is the hondata airbox mod, earthing kit, braided brake lines, unsilenced supersprint b pipe with standard back box, jdm rear antiroll bar, e tech front strut brace
im running the gsd3 f1 tyres they do their best and are a lot better than the b'stones but they still let go, you have to watch it around sharp corners and roundabouts in the wet or it will just under steer like mad and a couple of times i've almost hit the kirb but so far i've got away with it!!
2nd gear can get notchy but other than that the gearbox is very smooth but you have to keep an eye on the oil level especially if you vtec a lot as it will drink it and the most common fault is big end failure due to a low oil level.
Old 23 November 2009, 09:42 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also had a new 03 CTR for 3 years, great car Bullet proof, but now i have my WRX-S and i have to say another world.

CTR good cars not much torque but wind em up and they fly, Crap in wet

Internals are ****e, but then again WRX-S aint great.

Pesonally stick with Scooby, I love the civics, but just cant tune em enough until you start spending loads on new heads etc.

My m8 had the 172 and we used to race everyday from leeds to harrogate, and to be honest, not much in either, in a straight line it wasnt drastic the gain i had, in fact some days nothing.

Now in the scooby hed be dust.

Fuel was about 27 to 32 im getting 31.7 on WRX on motorway, only downside is 5 speed box in WRX-S so go STI if u got dosh, but change them 17s cos they look poo.

As for overtaking in the civic its a diff world to overtake, u have to wind her up or drop down to hit the ZONE as i used to call it, with the scooby u have the power lower down
Old 23 November 2009, 10:54 AM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Just to throw another car into the equation. What about a std uk dc2 integra vs a 300bhp classic. Apologies if im hi-jacking the thread just curious really.

Dan
Old 23 November 2009, 11:29 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

dc2 much quicker than wrx out of the box.
Old 23 November 2009, 11:47 AM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

^^^^ really???? that does surprise me. Are they far off a classic sti?

Dan
Old 23 November 2009, 12:15 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting.....

YouTube - Honda Integra Type-R vs Subaru Impreza WRX STi Vs Mitsubishi FTO Vs Honda Civic VTi.avi

Banny
Old 23 November 2009, 12:25 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

an sti will be a lot quicker of launch rolling start the sti will still have edge on a track not really sure but a dc2 is much quicker thana wrx rolling start i know as played with quite a few
Old 23 November 2009, 01:43 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Just watched that vid, alot closer than i would have thought.

Dan
Old 23 November 2009, 01:50 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The Impreza is pulling away quiet cleanly until he has to brake for the corner, though bear in mind 4wd vs 2wd so lower transmission losses.

Banny
Old 23 November 2009, 01:56 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Still, a good effort on the integra's behalf. Have been thinking of looking at one of these after xmas, everyone seems to speak very highly of them. Although i do prefer the look of the uk version

Dan
Old 23 November 2009, 02:01 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a 03 ctr before my 93 wrx. my wrx is much more fun to drive and is quicker.
i didnt like having to ring the ctrs neck all the time to go anywhere. the engine loves it but people in other cars and pedestrians think you are driving like a loon.
also the rear tyre wear and 2nd gear notch bugged me. seats were not comfy either.
Old 23 November 2009, 03:35 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

stick with the scooby fella a couple of friends of mine had ctr,s they are nice enough looking and reliable cars but didn,t have a patch on my scooby on either performance or grip! 2 out of the 3 of them now have subaru,s and havent looked back since
Old 23 November 2009, 03:52 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
dc2 much quicker than wrx out of the box.
I don't think so. I have had an sti3/4 and a 280bhp uk turbo and they were all quite a bit quicker than the Integra DC2 that I had.

Things I liked about the DC2:
-The handling for a fwd car was just unbelievable (in the dry)
-The engine note with the air box lid removed
-The gearbox and brakes were fantastic
-Fairly cheap to run

Things I didn't like (compared to the Impreza atleast)
- serious lack of 'useful' torque. yes i know you have to rev these cars but there is a limit.
- absolutely no grip in the wet.
- used to drink quite a bit of oil
- I was only getting about 5mpg more out of the teg than the scooby.
- Metal work was thinner than the impreza, which really is quite an achievement!

Now don't get me wrong, I still miss the Integra. But it would be for that rare occassion on the weekend when you fancy a blast. Living with it day to day is not impossible but the impreza is far better daily driver.
Old 23 November 2009, 04:44 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I don't think so. I have had an sti3/4 and a 280bhp uk turbo and they were all quite a bit quicker than the Integra DC2 that I had.

Things I liked about the DC2:
-The handling for a fwd car was just unbelievable (in the dry)
-The engine note with the air box lid removed
-The gearbox and brakes were fantastic
-Fairly cheap to run

Things I didn't like (compared to the Impreza atleast)
- serious lack of 'useful' torque. yes i know you have to rev these cars but there is a limit.
- absolutely no grip in the wet.
- used to drink quite a bit of oil
- I was only getting about 5mpg more out of the teg than the scooby.
- Metal work was thinner than the impreza, which really is quite an achievement!

Now don't get me wrong, I still miss the Integra. But it would be for that rare occassion on the weekend when you fancy a blast. Living with it day to day is not impossible but the impreza is far better daily driver.

teg vs sti obviously sti wins, teg vs wrx rolling start teg wins if you just seen the video the a type r which is 276bhp as standard on top of that short gearing ratio the teg didnt do that bad mate it was very tight