Old 20 November 2009, 06:48 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *EcuExplorer & Vagcom lead, help needed please*

Hi,
Im after some guidence please,
I have a Version 5 Sti Type-R 1999
Im trying to track down a problem im geting which is flashing my 'Check Engine' light,
Now seeing as the Solus at work wont read my ECU i thought id buy a code reader that will, but came across some software called EcuExplorer, and read i needed a VagCom lead, and is better than a fault code reader as i can view live data with it.
So for the price of a lead i could not over look it

This is the lead i bought...
VAG COM USB KKL 409.1 lead with software VW Code Tool on eBay (end time 27-Nov-09 11:06:12 GMT)
Which i read here will work....
"PC-based tools - 1999 to 2001"
Subaru Impreza Sensors & Diagnostics :: Gendan Automotive Products
Will comunicate with the 1999 - 2001 impreza ECU along with this software "EcuExplorer"

Now before somebody says i can read the codes with the plugs under the dash, i do know that, so dont ;D

I have installed the software (EcuExplorer) on my laptop and the VagCom software, connected up, but cant get them to comunicate.

Please help me
Old 20 November 2009, 07:34 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phildodd06
I have installed the software (EcuExplorer) on my laptop and the VagCom software, connected up, but cant get them to comunicate.
The latter is (or should be) part of the problem. Assuming you've bought the right interface, you don't need the vag.com software on your computer at all, the interface will/should talk direct to ECUExplorer.

When you connect the interface to your PC and load the driver for it, it should be recognised as a virtual serial port, and allocated a number (e.g. COM1, COM3 etc).

When you open ECUExplorer you should see a list of available serial ports in the bottom left corner of the screen. You double click the entry that matches the interface, and then (possibly after restarting the application), you should have diagnostics.

Assuming you get a connection, if your ECU is recognised as an AF041 you need to choose memory offset 0x80224A for IAM and 0x801308 for engine load. If you have an AF040, it should be 0x802244 for IAM and the 0x801308 for load.

If the interface doesn't enumerate itself as a virtual COM port, you probably won't be able to use it with ECU Explorer - although it might in this case be worth trying some of the other software (EvoScan etc) to see if it's recognised.

Edited to add, having just had a look, assuming you see your interface listed down the bottom left of your ECUExplorer window, don't double-click it, right, click and then left click on the "SSM Diagnostics" popup. Restart and you should be good to go.

Also probably goes without saying but just in case, you need the ignition switched on (or the engine running). Won't work with the key just turned to ACC.

Last edited by Splitpin; 20 November 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 22 November 2009, 01:43 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply, much appreated.

I currently cannot get the ECU connected to my laptop.
when EcuExplorer is connected its saying in the top left ECU (Dissconnected)
Now the little green light on the lead is on
So im assuming to get connected i have to go...
Options>ecuflash>model>here is the problem i think as it does not list my car, there are 4 options....
Subaru WRX USDM 2002-2003
Subaru WRX USDM 2004-2005
Subaru WRX international 2001-2005 (NON USDM)
Subaru STI international 2001-2005 (NON USDM)

Because when i try and go to the 'list of available serial ports in the bottom left corner of the screen' it is blank so cannot choose a port.

So this is where im stuck atm.

Are you able to assist me from here?

Thanks for your help so far.
Old 22 November 2009, 01:53 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Right i have now got communication, i had to press...
Options>Capture SSM trace file first.

Thank you very much.

I have this fault.....
open/short in ISC valve circuit

Any pointers as i have no running or idling issues

Many thanks
Old 22 November 2009, 09:29 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The ECUflash stuff doesn't mean anything on a classic shape - newage only.

I take it that's code 24 you've got? Is it listed in the current or historic section? If current and you've got good idle speed control, monitor the idle speed control valve step with the software. It should be 128 with the ignition on but engine off, and dropping off to 20-40-odd at idle when the engine is fully up to temp.

If the error is in the historic section, it probably means that the engine was started at some point in the past with the ISCV plug above the throttle body disconnected. If you reset the ECU it'll go away - so you could try that and see if the error comes back.
Old 22 November 2009, 10:11 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Hi Splitpin,
I have reset the ECU as i could not find a delete error code button, and yes it was code 24.
Im going to moniter and see if the CE light flashes back up, if it dont then happy days, if it does ill look out for the steps it does on live data.

You sound like you know what your doing with this software, do you use it often? do you think its any good?