ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

sticker number plates

Old 01 July 2009, 04:11 PM
A555K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticker number plates

hi

im thinking of putting a sticker number plate on my splitter.

a few questions

who can make these, links please?

and are they legal?

cheers
Old 01 July 2009, 04:43 PM
britishbulldog
Scooby Regular

Default i have one

i have put a sticker number plate on my splitter,

the police pulled me over saying "the anpr camera can't read that number plate" then told me that "the reason it is illegal is because of the angle it sits at and by law it has to be sat vertically" after looking into it further, apparently the dvla have made "sticker plates" illegal full stop.

would just like to add that i haven't changed my plate as when i got stopped there were about 10 other cars also been pulled in (was at a roadside check) and the policeman only "advised me" to change it. so as i wasn't given any "official" paperwork then 'tis staying where it is.

i am assuming though that if he wasn't quite so busy he could have given me a 7day notice to get it changed? i am also 99% sure you would need to put the proper plate back on for the mot.

anyone who knows better feel free to flame me
Old 01 July 2009, 05:56 PM
brashy
Scooby Regular

hi ive put a sticker on my splitter an being truthfull they aint good the numbers start to peel of an they dont sit right coz the splitter is cerved your better using a normal plate but if your want to know were to get them from i got mine of ebay just put in stricker number plates
Old 01 July 2009, 06:05 PM
A555K
Scooby Regular

cheers thanks for the advice
Old 01 July 2009, 11:59 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a sticker plate on my bonnet, got it from a company called stripes in Motherwell. Its correct size and reflective , hasnt peeled off and ive never been pulled by the plod coz of it.
Old 02 July 2009, 02:04 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by britishbulldog
i have put a sticker number plate on my splitter,

the police pulled me over saying "the anpr camera can't read that number plate" then told me that "the reason it is illegal is because of the angle it sits at and by law it has to be sat vertically" after looking into it further, apparently the dvla have made "sticker plates" illegal full stop.

would just like to add that i haven't changed my plate as when i got stopped there were about 10 other cars also been pulled in (was at a roadside check) and the policeman only "advised me" to change it. so as i wasn't given any "official" paperwork then 'tis staying where it is.

i am assuming though that if he wasn't quite so busy he could have given me a 7day notice to get it changed? i am also 99% sure you would need to put the proper plate back on for the mot.

anyone who knows better feel free to flame me
Not a flaming, but a small point. Law is made by parliament not by the DVLA. They state that self adhesive plates are illegal because they dont meet the required British Standard. BS approved reflective material is now available, so a legal plate can be manufactured; the DVLA still have their head in the sand though... Whether you can get a manufacturer to add their postcode to one is another matter of course (and because the material is relatively new you cant argue that the plate re-dates the law change in September 2001). I will have a legally sized and spaced plate made and then add the necessary BS number and makers details in Letraset and then seal the finished plate with clear vinyl; probably.....
Old 02 July 2009, 06:09 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had a vynyl plate on my splitter for ages with no trouble from the law.

Import sized letters, legally spaced, reflective backing.

Name:  2009_0619Friday0002.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  213.1 KB